By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The things we will put up with.

I don't buy that.  You just forgot who I am.  Repressed memories and all

Around the Network

You are a criminal.

As bad as Windows is i hate Apple more. To the core.

im_sneaky said:

Why is that?

im_sneaky said:

Me too. Their business practices are just as bad, if not worse, than Microsoft's and then they go around trying to act as if nothing has happened. You'd think the fact they got rocked in the PC war BECAUSE of their shitty practices (only Apple HW can have Apple SW). If Microsoft hadn't spawned and we onlny had Apple back in the day, the current state of the world would have been a much MUCH darker place.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
im_sneaky said:

Me too. Their business practices are just as bad, if not worse, than Microsoft's and then they go around trying to act as if nothing has happened. You'd think the fact they got rocked in the PC war BECAUSE of their shitty practices (only Apple HW can have Apple SW). If Microsoft hadn't spawned and we onlny had Apple back in the day, the current state of the world would have been a much MUCH darker place.

I don't see any problem with the Apple business practice you mentioned.  The reason the MacOSX runs so well is because the programmers knew exactly what hardware the OS was going to be run on.  Also, since they make the hardware, and they make the software, they have every right to make their software only work on their hardware.  In fact, one of the nice things about installing MacOSX is that there is no cd-keys or activation.  Why should they be concerned about DRM when only their hardware can run the OS.  However, if you do not like the HW/SW restriction, you have every right not to buy their product.  It does not amount to dishonest business practice though.

Senlis said:
vlad321 said:
im_sneaky said:

I don't see any problem with the Apple business practice you mentioned.  The reason the MacOSX runs so well is because the programmers knew exactly what hardware the OS was going to be run on.  Also, since they make the hardware, and they make the software, they have every right to make their software only work on their hardware.  In fact, one of the nice things about installing MacOSX is that there is no cd-keys or activation.  Why should they be concerned about DRM when only their hardware can run the OS.  However, if you do not like the HW/SW restriction, you have every right not to buy their product.  It does not amount to dishonest business practice though.

That practice is exactly why they got destroyed by MS earlier. Gates just gave out the Windows license to any hardware manufacturer that wanted it and that's how Windows spread like wildfire. It's because of Gates and Windows that people have enough PCs to use the web and create the whole Web 2.0 effect and just about anything. Like I said if it were left to Apple we'd be nowhere near the level of cultural penetration of the PC that we have now. Since they make their own hardware and software the hardware is generally expensive as hell. Right now the cheapest Mac enabled PC that I can get is $600 dollars, meanwhile the cheapest Windows one is about half that, even less. Also because they use their practice on every product, I can fully see the Android destroying the iPhone in terms of app support, and just overall, and penetration. Apple's business model is not ebenficial to ANYONE, even themselves.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

As for the "Macs are more expensive" myth, you should read this article from Tomshardware.com http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html

To summarize, the author compared a Macbook to a Dell with the same specifications.  The Dell turned out to be more expensive by a couple hundred dollars.

Saying that Apple makes expensive computers is like saying BMW makes expensive cars.  Really, they make high-end products and don't appeal to a market looking for low-end "cheapos".  Actually, Apple doesn't seem to make any attempt to appeal to the cheap computer market.

The stability offered by making the HW and SW appeals to graphic and video editing professionals.  You may find a few that like Windows, but I think you will find most go with Mac.  Also, a lot of highly knowledgeable techs like macs.

It seems that Apple has found their market and likes it.  Apple does not seem to competing with Microsoft directly, but has chosen to make money where they are good at.  Apple is still around, so they must be doing a good job.  I would think that Apple has no real interest in being "#1", but rather in making profits. (I say this despite the Mac vs PC commercials)

This is getting a little long, so I will try to wrap it up.

Microsoft did allow any hardware to use their OS.  You can, of course, run Windows on a Mac.  This means that there is a variety of hardware available for PCs, and this is a good thing.  This is what keeps them in business.  MacOSX, of course, will only run on Apple computers.  This has its own benifits and is what keeps Apple in business.  I, personally, believe that these differences brings more options to us as users to choose what meets our needs.  However, if you make the decision based on "this company is stupid/evil/greedy", I would have to call you unwise.

As for application support, it is up to program developers to make their software available to Mac.  Apple is not stopping them.  I don't think Apple could stop them if they wanted to.

To sum up, I like all three OS.  Windows is nice because of the widespread use and application support.  Apple is nice because it is stable.  Linux is nice because it is free and very well designed.  Some things are easier in one OS, while other things may be easier in another OS.  Also, I believe that Windows is most popular simply because the average person doesn't do enough research to realize that there are better options available.  They just go with Windows because "everyone else is using it".

Senlis said:

As for the "Macs are more expensive" myth, you should read this article from Tomshardware.com http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-mac-leopard-windows-vista,1985.html

To summarize, the author compared a Macbook to a Dell with the same specifications.  The Dell turned out to be more expensive by a couple hundred dollars.

Saying that Apple makes expensive computers is like saying BMW makes expensive cars.  Really, they make high-end products and don't appeal to a market looking for low-end "cheapos".  Actually, Apple doesn't seem to make any attempt to appeal to the cheap computer market.

The stability offered by making the HW and SW appeals to graphic and video editing professionals.  You may find a few that like Windows, but I think you will find most go with Mac.  Also, a lot of highly knowledgeable techs like macs.

It seems that Apple has found their market and likes it.  Apple does not seem to competing with Microsoft directly, but has chosen to make money where they are good at.  Apple is still around, so they must be doing a good job.  I would think that Apple has no real interest in being "#1", but rather in making profits. (I say this despite the Mac vs PC commercials)

This is getting a little long, so I will try to wrap it up.

Microsoft did allow any hardware to use their OS.  You can, of course, run Windows on a Mac.  This means that there is a variety of hardware available for PCs, and this is a good thing.  This is what keeps them in business.  MacOSX, of course, will only run on Apple computers.  This has its own benifits and is what keeps Apple in business.  I, personally, believe that these differences brings more options to us as users to choose what meets our needs.  However, if you make the decision based on "this company is stupid/evil/greedy", I would have to call you unwise.

As for application support, it is up to program developers to make their software available to Mac.  Apple is not stopping them.  I don't think Apple could stop them if they wanted to.

To sum up, I like all three OS.  Windows is nice because of the widespread use and application support.  Apple is nice because it is stable.  Linux is nice because it is free and very well designed.  Some things are easier in one OS, while other things may be easier in another OS.  Also, I believe that Windows is most popular simply because the average person doesn't do enough research to realize that there are better options available.  They just go with Windows because "everyone else is using it".

I think you completely missed the point. I can get a PC for EXTRMELY cheap. I was recently looking to buy a nice cheap computer to write some iPhone apps for. My mind changed as soon as I saw the fact that the cheapest one is 600 bucks. Do you know what kind of a PC can be built for that same price?

Just to clear things up, it's not that I love Windows, I just hate how everyone is praising Apple when it doesn't deserve even 1/10th of the praise.

Edit: Also like I said, the reason for Windows dominating is because Gates gave the license to EVERYONE, everyone could make it and put it on their computers no matter what their specs were. Apple dug their own grave with their business plan.

vlad321 said:

I think you completely missed the point. I can get a PC for EXTRMELY cheap. I was recently looking to buy a nice cheap computer to write some iPhone apps for. My mind changed as soon as I saw the fact that the cheapest one is 600 bucks. Do you know what kind of a PC can be built for that same price?

Just to clear things up, it's not that I love Windows, I just hate how everyone is praising Apple when it doesn't deserve even 1/10th of the praise.

Edit: Also like I said, the reason for Windows dominating is because Gates gave the license to EVERYONE, everyone could make it and put it on their computers no matter what their specs were. Apple dug their own grave with their business plan.

I think you missed my point.

"Do you know what kind of a PC can be built for that same price?" When you look at a 600$ PC, it's specifications and abilities will be lower or equal to a Mac.  That is not counting that the Mac will be made out of better parts.  It is true that there are no cheapo Macs, but Apple does not target that market.  If you want a computer that cheap, you should buy one and put Linux on it anyway.

As for the last part, if Apple tried to compete with Microsoft by doing the same thing, they probably would not be in business.  It is Apple's decision to do what they do that has kept them around.  I will stand by my opinion that the only reason that the average person buys a PC with Windows on it is because they don't realize they have options.