By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Shooterbox confirmed, lol? Soon the top 6 games will be shooters!

I don't see it as being much different than the PS3. Instead of using a weird number like Top 6, let's expand to top 10 and see what happens. I don't agree with this but I will play by Squilliam's rules and award any game that has it's primary weapons as guns will be labelled shooter.

PosGameConsolePublisherHitsScoreSalesLast Update
1 Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar Games 253,443 7.74 5.12m 08th Oct 08
2 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Activision 123,779 7.88 3.85m 13th Apr 08
3 MotorStorm Sony Computer Entertainment 27,980 7.63 3.73m 21st Oct 08
4 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Konami 702,227 8.01 3.67m 29th Oct 08
5 Resistance: Fall of Man Sony Computer Entertainment 148,178 7.75 3.40m 26th Jan 08
6 Assassin's Creed Ubisoft 37,608 7.76 3.14m 24th Sep 08
7 Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Sony Computer Entertainment 71,034 7.86 2.51m 02nd Apr 08
8 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Sony Computer Entertainment 272,274 8.09 2.29m 05th Nov 08
9 Call of Duty: World at War Activision 1,551 0.00 1.80m 03rd Sep 08
10 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 10,915 7.74 1.75m 05th Apr 08

Notice the PS3 has six games that qualify as "shooter". They are MGS4, COD4, COD:WaW, Uncharted, GTA IV and Resistance.

PosGameConsolePublisherHitsScoreSalesLast Update
1 Halo 3 Microsoft 566,611 7.08 8.68m 17th Nov 08
2 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Activision 80,606 6.99 6.78m 03rd Nov 08
3 Grand Theft Auto IV Rockstar Games 80,884 5.76 6.47m 08th Oct 08
4 Gears of War Microsoft 42,192 7.64 5.65m 07th Nov 08
5 Assassin's Creed Ubisoft 29,537 7.36 4.26m 24th Sep 08
6 Forza Motorsport 2 Microsoft 26,485 7.53 4.24m 14th Nov 07
7 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock RedOctane 14,615 7.34 3.74m 03rd Sep 08
8 Gears of War 2 Microsoft 57,039 6.63 3.44m 18th Jul 08
9 Call of Duty: World at War Activision 3,245 0.00 3.16m 03rd Sep 08
10 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 2K Games 13,264 7.70 2.61m 29th Nov 08

Notice the 360 has six games that qualify as "shooter". They are Gears, Gears 2, Halo 3, COD4, COD: WaW, and GTA IV.

In conclusion, each console has six. If we then go back to the rules of reality and only include FPS then each console has three. If we add TPS into there we get Gears and Gears 2, and a morally gray area with MGS4 and Uncharted, depending on where on the fence you lie. GTA IV is really not a shooter at all, considering the littering of other things that can occupy your time in that game. Again though, these are Squill's rules, not mine.

What this shows is not that one is more of a "shooterbox" than the other, but that each basically appeals to the exact same demographic of gamer, and games featuring guns are popular among them. As we expand to the top 50, FPS accounts for 10 games on the PS3(20%) and either 8 or 9 games on the 360(16-18%). The maybe is Bioshock since some don't consider it an FPS but a FPA(Adventure) game.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Onyxmeth, I was about to post the exact same thing.
Excellent post.

The PS3 offer a very similar experience to the Xbox360.
Only less popular and affordable.

My Gaming Setup

Neoraf said:

Excellent post.

Thats why I called it the "wannabe shooterbox"

I figured that pretty soon COD WAW and Gears 2 would join the top of the list and extend the number of shooters down to 6 before another genre takes the next spot. Yes I know GTAIV isn't technically a shooter by the traditional sense, but I don't see much difference between it and say Mercenaries 2 and Farcry 2 - Both considered shooters IIRC.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Neoraf said:

Excellent post.

I figured that pretty soon COD WAW and Gears 2 would join the top of the list and extend the number of shooters down to 6 before another genre takes the next spot. Yes I know GTAIV isn't technically a shooter by the traditional sense, but I don't see much difference between it and say Mercenaries 2 and Farcry 2 - Both considered shooters IIRC.

That's fine. However then I don't know how Uncharted and MGS4 would not meet the same criteria. There is far more shooting on average in both than in GTAIV. Considering how well Uncharted can potentially do in an official bundle, it could very well push Assassin's Creed out of the 6th spot and claim it, making the top 6 on PS3 five shooters and one racing game. We can sit and make inconsequential pissing matches all night about who is pulling slightly ahead but in the end, they are merely two consoles both full up with damn near equal potential to be "the shooterbox". If you really want to make an concise argument, why not add up every sale of every shooter from both consoles and work it against the total software sales to get a percentage? Let's see if the 360 really does sell more shooters on average, because none of the arguments you or I have presented thus far have meant jack shit.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Squilliam said:
Neoraf said:

Excellent post.

That's fine. However then I don't know how Uncharted and MGS4 would not meet the same criteria. There is far more shooting on average in both than in GTAIV. Considering how well Uncharted can potentially do in an official bundle, it could very well push Assassin's Creed out of the 6th spot and claim it, making the top 6 on PS3 five shooters and one racing game. We can sit and make inconsequential pissing matches all night about who is pulling slightly ahead but in the end, they are merely two consoles both full up with damn near equal potential to be "the shooterbox". If you really want to make an concise argument, why not add up every sale of every shooter from both consoles and work it against the total software sales to get a percentage? Let's see if the 360 really does sell more shooters on average, because none of the arguments you or I have presented thus far have meant jack shit.

You're not going to get any argument to the contrary from me. I was just making an obervation thats all, since I still favour the Xbox 360 platform can you not give me the benefit of the doubt and consider it an interesting or friendly observation?

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

You're not going to get any argument to the contrary from me. I was just making an obervation thats all, since I still favour the Xbox 360 platform can you not give me the benefit of the doubt and consider it an interesting or friendly observation?

Oh, my apologies. I thought this was your week to defend the PS3.

When do you hop the fence again? You know a schedule inside your signature would go a long way to help out.

Onyxmeth said:
Squilliam said:

When do you hop the fence again? You know a schedule inside your signature would go a long way to help out.

I wasnt aware there was dogma keeping us from arbitrarily defending different consoles. was i violating rules when i stuck up for the ps3... or the wii?

is it wrong that sometimes i just like to have a well thought out argument, no matter who im defending. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

squiliam besides wii games most of the "biggest" games are shooters of some sort. Not just on the 360, look at MGS4 while not a typical "shooter" it still is very much one.

though i know your just posting this cause your switching sides to help out the down team lol

goddog said:
Onyxmeth said:
Squilliam said:

I wasnt aware there was dogma keeping us from arbitrarily defending different consoles. was i violating rules when i stuck up for the ps3... or the wii?

is it wrong that sometimes i just like to have a well thought out argument, no matter who im defending. 

Onyxmeth said:
Squilliam said:

Defend PS3 != attack the 360.

Though if you want a schedule how about calling me a PS3 fanboy on the two weeks from the 12th to 26th of January. Post Christmas NPD and 1st weeks of the new year will probably see the PS3 doomed threads resurface.

Tease.