By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do some people really still think that Little Big Planet didnt sell well?

Neoraf said:

@Cura
So let's wait for the American sale figures (no LBP bundle).
You'll have your answer.

NA sales: 

Last Week 44K 

This Week 61K 

Owned.

Around the Network

alright people. lets look at this objectively and not with our fanboy goggles on.

lbp is selling great for a new IP: Huge Success!
lbp is selling great for a ps3 game: again success.
lbp sales for the super hyped up and mega-marketed game that it is: underachieved.
lbp's casual gaming ability to bring in non-gamers like wii games: complete failure.
lbp as a system seller for anyone (gamers or non-gamers): complete failure.
lbp's quality: i haven't played it but it looks cool i think and i'd get it if i had a ps3.

so, from the point of view that its just another game and another new ip does it succeed? absolutely. its already over a million and will probably end up over 3 or 4 million total. a bigtime new ip. although i'm not sure if its really a franchisable title, i feel like a sequel would just be the exact same thing. but still it's selling great!

but, did it succeed with the expectations from sony and sony's massive hype around the game as the system seller of the year and THE game that is gonna expand the ps3 audience? absolutely not. it did nothing to impact sales and doesn't look like it succeeded in taking any of that non-gamer audience away from the wii.

in conclusion: its selling great, i'll be one of the ps3's best selling games this gen. but due to it being a massively overhyped game which seems to happen to every big ps3 game it falls far short of meeting expectations.

(i'm much more surprised about the low sales of R2, now that game is a flop! lbp held up its end as one of the big two exclusives for ps3 during the second half of this year, but R2 sales are a down right wreck since its supposed to be the premiere shooter on the ps3.)

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Batman...WTF? said:
Paul_Warren said:
^^Many of the posts by this person are spoken like a true 360 owning PS3 basher of old.

He doesn't own a 360 though...

Have you been to his house?

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

KylieDog said:
CGI-Quality said:

@ lazyrider

Uumm, I had no point to prove, he does so what are you babbling about? He said MOST STORES. Do you understand what the word most means?

Yes, because -most- have, despite acknowledging I cannot prove in-store prices while sitting at a PC you ask me to prove it anyway while making claims it is full priced that you haven't proved either ...

I have a better idea, please go and prove most stores didn't slash the price of the game at some point, that impractical argument can be easily played both ways.

I provided evidence of some very large and popular online retailers slashing prices heavily because its the only factual evidence to bring to the table.

sorry but amazon pricing is not proof of anything. Amazon is notorious for randomly slashing their price for no reason on random products, especially around the holiday season. Provide links to box stores online price (which if slashed in-store will reflect online, but not vice versa.  That would support your claims.

Yes, I don't think it sold well at all.

My rational is I saw posts speaking of this being a system seller for months. Massive sales etc. Your own Sony hype machine is why people view the results as lack luster.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
Neoraf said:

@Cura
You'll have your answer.

NA sales: 

Last Week 44K 

This Week 61K 

Owned.

lol... I guess you're new, otherwise I'm worried for you.
Look:

NA sales:
Gears of War2:

Last Week 119K
This Week 158K

Owned?

It's called a Holiday Boost.
Every major game is selling stronger approaching Chrismas.

Now you know, kid.

My Gaming Setup

Also, If you look at the sales trend compared with 360 exclusive games released the relative same time (Fable2, gears 2), LBP and R2 are selling a bit better as the weeks progress. I'm beginning to believe this "increase" (if we can call it that) in sales is probably due to late adopters who are picking up these games late due to other releases or were uneasy about previews for the game. Bottom line is, no matter how "well" they might be selling now, they missed the bulk of their sales that occur at launch (which the 360 "counterparts" successfully did. If these 2 games have true legs, the relatively strong sales will continue into the new year. If they both drop out of the WW top 50 then it was obviously nothing more than a holiday push increase. If i was Sony I would be marketing LBP as a family game since it appears to be the demographic they are missing out on.

Neoraf said:
tombi123 said:
Neoraf said:

@Cura
You'll have your answer.

NA sales: 

Last Week 44K 

This Week 61K 

Owned.

lol... I guess you're new, otherwise I'm worried for you.
Look:

NA sales:
Gears of War2:

Last Week 119K
This Week 158K

Owned?

It's called a Holiday Boost.
Every major game is selling stronger approaching Chrismas.

Now you know, kid.

What if you compare individual game week-over-week sales to the %increase in total software sales for a platform?  Higher = possibly more than just a holiday boost, +/- 1% most likely holiday boost <1% bad game unless week after launch.  Not sure If It is a good way to analyze it or not at the short term.  If sales remain relatively strong (or consistent) after the holidays its more than likely just strong legs.  I'm still on the holiday boost side myself.

Bboid,

LBP and R2 don't have stronger boost sales than Fable2 and Gears2 right now.
Look at the data:

GAME: (NA Last week) - (NA This week) [ % boost ] (TOTAL NA SALES)

• LBP: (44k) - (61k) [ 28 % ] (0,58m)
  • R2: (39k) - (53k) [ 26 % ] (0,50m)
  • Gears 2: (119k) - (158k) [ 33 % ] (2,27m)
  • Fable 2: (45k) - (68k) [ 34 % ] (1,25m)

Hell, even these games have a stronger Holiday boost than the flagship PS3 games:
(Note that these two games have smaller overall sales than LBP and R2)

• Lips: (42k) - (68k) [ 38 % ] (0,17m)
  • Banjo-Kazooie N&B: (38k) - (57k) [ 33 % ] (0.24m)

(All these games released in the same period)

My Gaming Setup

Neoraf said:

Bboid,

LBP and R2 don't have stronger boost sales than Fable2 and Gears2 right now.
Look at the data:

GAME: (NA Last week) - (NA This week) [ % boost ] (TOTAL NA SALES)

• LBP: (44k) - (61k) [ 39 % ] (0,58m) 39%
  • R2: (39k) - (53k) [ 36 % ] (0,50m)
  • Gears 2: (119k) - (158k) [ 33 % ] (2,27m)
  • Fable 2: (45k) - (68k) [ 51 % ] (1,25m)

Hell, even these games have a stronger Holiday boost than the flagship PS3 games:
(Note that these two games have smaller overall sales than LBP and R2)

• Lips: (42k) - (68k) [ 62 % ] (0,17m)
  • Banjo-Kazooie N&B: (38k) - (57k) [ 50 % ] (0.24m)

(All these games released in the same period)

when you factor tie ratios (which is what i meant in that post) they are doing considerably worse.

also fixed your numbers

edit again: i've looked at alot of otheer sales and they all seem to have wildly swinging sales which means holiday boosts ftw, case closed.  Do you think COD: W@w would have legs like this if it wasn't the holidays?