By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now I think about it, whats with many ads on COD WAWii? My opinion on it

Onyxmeth said:
yushire said:
Onyxmeth said:
yushire said:

We knew its flopped, HD versions are 10 times sales better than the Wii version especially the 360. And it still continues selling, so WHY?

Is it because Activision realized that theyre profiting more on the Wii version than in Ps3 and 360 versions? Thats whats happened with GTA IV and Bioshock with Take 2, even its million sellers they cant keep up to make a profit with those games.

It seem we seen change with the third parties already. 3rd parties states huge losses because of the production and development cost of making HD games in PS360. I think soon many third parties will jump ship to the Wii because they cant stand making games anymore in HD consoles...

Are you asking why they're marketing the Wii version when it gets outsold so many times over? I think the second part answers the first part.

There's no way Activision could be profiting more from the Wii version than the other three versions. First of all, it;s built on an existing engine, while the Wii's was built for this game. Plus even if the Wii's version gives them more profit for every copy sold, it still isn't selling nearly enough to turn as much of a profit.

Regarding Bioshock and GTA IV, do you have some sort of link that says neither has made a profit? Something is telling me that somewhere along the lines, a game that has sold over 10 million copies will turn some sort of profit. I won't comment on Bioshock, but still, link please.

What is going to happen when Nintendo finally goes HD? It's still going to cost money to make these games, and plenty of it. If all developers do switch to Wii development, then what's going to happen down the line when Nintendo goes HD? Same scenario, they'll need to eat the bigger costs.

About GTA IV and Bioshock I have proof of this; its even in this thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=53400

The only 3rd parties that are immune are Ubi and Activision but we cant tell if Activision and Ubisoft really profiting next year especially when HD userbase are shrinking and Wii userbase are growing. Theres even a thread here in Nintendo discussion about Take 2's quote; "We just cant ignore the Wii installbase, we just cant." In that quote its a sign of desperation to me.

I even wonder if HD generation was over and the Wii generation will start in 2009.

Nowhere in that topic does it mention that Grand Theft Auto IV and Bioshock haven't turned a profit. It says Take Two hasn't turned a profit, and that can stem from many areas. Something is telling me the 10 million+ selling GTA IV is not part of the problem. Here's a quote from the report you provided to support my claim. Pay special attention to the bolded.

We've also signed new agreements with the senior members of the Rockstar Games label, a team that has produced some of the industry's most extraordinary hits. These actions were taken in the interest of creating long-term shareholder value, and we believe they have also better positioned the Company to weather an increasingly challenging economic climate."

Yup that sure sounds like Rockstar is part of the problem at Take Two. Try again Yushire. Your HD console doom and gloom is getting old. There is plenty of room to profit on those consoles with competent management and good talent. I've yet to see a rebuttal from you as to why some of the strongest third parties, Valve, Blizzard and Epic are all flourishing without the assistance of the Wii.

How have they positioned the company well? They are bleeding money when not doing a GTA game, which they can't have come out every year. The HD model is bad, it does not work and the gaminbg industry has to come to grips with this. Now to your examples:

1) Valve has steam. They prolly make a shitton of money off of this. No idea on sales figures, because most of their games are driven by PC sales.

2) Blizzard. Blizzard is a PC developer, who tries to make sure thier games work on a majority of machines. This means they focus more on the gameplay and limit the graphical quality, I bet even on the higher end. Starcraft was fun, but it was not the cutting edge graphically. Its the art assets rising the costs. Plus, they have WoW.

3) Not sure about structure of epic, if they are making profit or not, etc. Just because one company can do it now does not mean all of them can, or that epic can do it indefinatly. All it takes in the HD age is one flop to cause a massive amount of resources to go down the drain.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network

@Aiemond

I never said Take Two was in a good position. I merely asked for proof that GTA IV and Bioshock haven't turned a profit. That was the OP's original argument before he "moved the goal posts" to mean Take Two itself. Take Two is in terrible shape, and I don't think any shift into Wii development is going to change that. Maybe a change in management and a restructuring of the company will though.

Your points about Steam being the reason for Valve, WoW being the reason for Blizzard and Epic being an anomaly are irrelevent. My point was disproving that the Wii was absolutely needed or else. I have done that by showing strong business models that do not involve the Wii at all. Their methods of gaining those funds have no relevance to the argument. They just have winning business models, and I proved a winning business model can be achieved without the the Wii's involvement. Nothing more, nothing less.

The HD model is not bad. It is the future. One day Nintendo will join in and will show that it can be profitable. The problem is not HD but the bad and sloppy management that has benefitted from not having to make crucial decisions. HD is nothing more than the curtain being opened, showing the inadequacies in studio and publisher management. If they tighten their ships, they will cease to have these problems. This is not saying that Wii development is not a good avenue to take, because it is. Same as the DS. So is Mobile gaming. So is PC gaming. There are many good avenues to take, but saying the Wii is the only way is just rediculous, and that is what Yushire always has to say in regards to these matters.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Only just to add, most HD games are long to develop and needs delay to make it in playable condition. Thats why Killzone 2 and MGS4 or even FF XIII was long to be released. Most 3rd parties uses the movie industry structure than the TV structure. Blockbusters after blockbusters so they made their games have better graphics, cost more money in development more manpower and more advertising. The problem with this structure are games are becoming fewer and fewer and most of these are itterations after itteration of the past games thats popular. Anyone here noticed that Activsion's game are just COD and guitar Hero?

And what about Dead Space and Mirror's Edge? Maybe they will become a million seller but its sure to be forgotten, like the Devil May Cry series. Of course, maybe CAPCOM already developing a sequel for this game in secret but it will be in 2010 before we can see it, just like MGS4 and FF XIII. I mean how many years before we even see MGS4 and Killzone 2 since E3 2006?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

And yeah, Im not posting the last post this in response to the post above, Im just sharing my opinions about this...

@onyxmeth----> We will see.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

I really can't wait for all these companies to make their BIG BUDGET games on the wii so they can all turn a profit.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
yushire said:
Only just to add, most HD games are long to develop and needs delay to make it in playable condition. Thats why Killzone 2 and MGS4 or even FF XIII was long to be released. Most 3rd parties uses the movie industry structure than the TV structure. Blockbusters after blockbusters so they made their games have better graphics, cost more money in development more manpower and more advertising. The problem with this structure are games are becoming fewer and fewer and most of these are itterations after itteration of the past games thats popular. Anyone here noticed that Activsion's game are just COD and guitar Hero?

And what about Dead Space and Mirror's Edge? Maybe they will become a million seller but its sure to be forgotten, like the Devil May Cry series. Of course, maybe CAPCOM already developing a sequel for this game in secret but it will be in 2010 before we can see it, just like MGS4 and FF XIII. I mean how many years before we even see MGS4 and Killzone 2 since E3 2006?

Long delayed and long to develop games are nothing new. It took 2 1/2 years for Twilight Princess to come out since it's unveiling at E3 2004. Too Human, Kameo and Duke Nukem Forever spent more time in development hell on last gen hardware than current gen hardware. The original Killzone was delayed on last gen hardware and it wasn't half as quality as the new one looks like it's going to be. Resident Evil 4 was delayed heavily. Blah blah blah.

The point is, if you think long development and delayed games are a trend that started this generation, you are sorely mistaken. Even the Wii, with it's SD visuals still gets plenty of delayed games. Brawl needed to be delayed 3 months, which was after it's date had been originally finalized for December 4th at the beginning of the Fall 2007. These things just happen and they have happened since forever.

Also, what is a TV structure?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Im just posting this in reply to onyxmeth's HD gaming is the future. YEAH, HD gaming is the future... in 2011. Thats three years from now, since Ninty announced a Wii HD in 2011 in news before. We're talking about NOW the present the more important I mean lets admit it, do you all really think these HD consoles could go on till 2011 do you all really think the PS3 could go on 8 years from now? Just reflect that to the current situations we are now...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

Onyxmeth said:
yushire said:

Long delayed and long to develop games are nothing new. It took 2 1/2 years for Twilight Princess to come out since it's unveiling at E3 2004. Too Human, Kameo and Duke Nukem Forever spent more time in development hell on last gen hardware than current gen hardware. The original Killzone was delayed on last gen hardware and it wasn't half as quality as the new one looks like it's going to be. Resident Evil 4 was delayed heavily. Blah blah blah.

The point is, if you think long development and delayed games are a trend that started this generation, you are sorely mistaken. Even the Wii, with it's SD visuals still gets plenty of delayed games. Brawl needed to be delayed 3 months, which was after it's date had been originally finalized for December 4th at the beginning of the Fall 2007. These things just happen and they have happened since forever.

Also, what is a TV structure?

If you've read Malstrom's articles you will know to simply put like on TV making games not once or twice a year but making 6 games or more  and make it have long legs in the future just as in situation with TV shows right now. I mean, how many shows on cable we've seen almost everyday? Sitcoms, reality tvs, dramas, soap operas, CSI, etc... Of course, small developers and publishers should fill this gap but in situation right now small 3rd parties and middle companies cant afford the HD model.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

yushire said:
Im just posting this in reply to onyxmeth's HD gaming is the future. YEAH, HD gaming is the future... in 2011. Thats three years from now, since Ninty announced a Wii HD in 2011 in news before. We're talking about NOW the present the more important I mean lets admit it, do you all really think these HD consoles could go on till 2011 do you all really think the PS3 could go on 8 years from now? Just reflect that to the current situations we are now...

Exactly my point. It's only three years from now. All of these companies that had to take losses getting themselves set up for the real HD era(next generation, not this one) will be the ones ready with engines and assets and experience to create great games for lower costs. It's going to be publishers like Hudson and Majesco, who ignored the HD consoles in favor of Wii-only development that will be playing catch-up with engine building, and experiencing the "hardships" of HD development start-up. HD costs aren't going to come down that much in three years to make it much easier on them.

yushire said:

oh brother.

If the PS3 dont make it, the 360 will and, trust me HD gaming is full force, its too bad you choose to wait until 2011 to feel it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)