By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why I think the PS3 will outsell the 360...

Batman...WTF? said:

It's selling much better in it's 110th week than the 360. Add in a price cut in mid 2009, just might pull out ahead.

Check it out... http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weeks=111

Awesome. All we have to do now is go back in time and launch the PS3 in 2005 - victory is guaranteed!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Assumption 1: Sony will cut the price (soon)
Assumption 2: Microsoft will not respond to this move
Assumption 3: Microsoft will continue to do nothing until their lead has eroded entirely

Those are pretty damn big assumptions considering that Microsoft and Sony have both proven time and again to prefer the opposite. Sony doesn't want to reduce the price and Microsoft does whatever it takes to keep the momentum in their favor.

Ockham's Razor Says: "Both companies will continue to behave pretty much the way they have been and Sony will lose the Console Wars this generation."

DeadNotSleeping said:
Assumption 1: Sony will cut the price (soon)
Assumption 2: Microsoft will not respond to this move
Assumption 3: Microsoft will continue to do nothing until their lead has eroded entirely

Those are pretty damn big assumptions considering that Microsoft and Sony have both proven time and again to prefer the opposite. Sony doesn't want to reduce the price and Microsoft does whatever it takes to keep the momentum in their favor.

Ockham's Razor Says: "Both companies will continue to behave pretty much the way they have been and Sony will lose the Console Wars this generation."

3 Assumptions made by Sony fans and all are flawed.

I'm sticking by the same prediction I made 2 years ago, Sony will finish third this generation. In the last two years sony has done nothing at all to decrease the lead between the Xbox360 and the PS3. Every year the 360 has outsold the PS3, and it's going to happen again this year.

When the PS3 was launched, the Xbox360 had a lead of 5.2 million consoles. Now that lead is 7.3 million consoles, and still increasing. Nothing Sony has done has given any evidence that the PS3 has what it takes to reduce that lead. It only has two weapons left: Final Fantasy in Japan and Gran Turismo. No other games can make a real difference to the PS3's moving power. And while both of these games are big, there is a 7.3 million unit gap to fill.

Nothing Sony can do from this point on will get them out of last place.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I aslo believe the PS3 will surpass it.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

K

The thing is. 360 is a mass Market Price NOW! So a further Price cut wont have a big as an effect as the cut that happened in September. PS3 is still NOT Mass Market Price and is selling ok. For the start of 08 till September PS3 was Outselling 360 AT A HIGHER Price(A NON Mass Market Price ). Once PS3 drops to a Market Price we will see How much The PS3 Can Truly sell (Which is what the 360 sales Today tell us)

It has nothing to do with weeks. Sony outsold Xbox 360's first two years. However Microsoft knows about this and had an ace card before the PS3 came out. Release the system a year earlier and acquire all the games so you could have the larger installed base and increase sales.

Well no doubt the PS3 will sell more when it's price is reduced to $199. I'd buy one for sure. But if the X360 drops to $100. I'd buy another one too! Since it dropped price this year, I ended up buying another one for the bedroom. It's not just the price but right now in Canada, the x360 comes with 4 free games while the ps3 comes with nothing.

You cant compare the sales of the 2 unless its at the same week.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M