By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A strange "only possible with the Wii" christmas story

So I saw my parents recently before they took off to vacation in Hawaii or wherever for an early holiday gathering.  I ended up at some point telling my dad that I sold my Wii and the games I had with it (and the 4 controllers) to pay the last of my grad school tuition last quarter expecting him to think that was a fiscally responsible choice.

Instead his immediate reaction was "What?  Why didn't you tell us! We'd have bought that from you!"

I'm not young, goin on 26 now, which means my dad is pushing 60 and hasn't bought a gaming machine since the Atari.  At best the last 10 years he occasionally plays Tiger Woods golf 07 on his mac and once in a while Diablo 2.  He only played the Wii a bit, mainly Wii Sports, when I had it and lived near by right after its launch and now my 60 year old dad wants to buy one.

I've had at least 20 consoles since I was a kid.  From the NES to the PS3 he has never shown much interest in any of them (other then Blu Ray on the PS3 obviously) until the Wii.  I doubt he'd buy a huge ammount of games or push Nintendo for "core" titles, but he would certainly pick up a Wii apparently.

So if anyone is wondering how the Wii is picking up 2 million in sales in one month, its because even 60 year olds with no kids still in the house consider buying it.

It also explains why not having any big releases doesn't hurt the Wii's sales.  Do you think my dad (or similar consumers) are up on the most recent releases for the Wii?  Do you think they know anything about the consternation about a sub par Nintendo E3 with no big releases except ::gag:: Wii Music?  Probably not, the Wii is, unlike its competitors, semi-immune to bad software years and doesn't live release to release like the 360 and PS3 seem to.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

The wii is the it thing, people need to have it and most of them have little to no idea what it is beyond wii fit or wii sports. All they know is they need it and thats all.

Impulsivity said:

So I saw my parents recently before they took off to vacation in Hawaii or wherever for an early holiday gathering. I ended up at some point telling my dad that I sold my Wii and the games I had with it (and the 4 controllers) to pay the last of my grad school tuition last quarter expecting him to think that was a fiscally responsible choice.

Instead his immediate reaction was "What? Why didn't you tell us! We'd have bought that from you!"

I'm not young, goin on 26 now, which means my dad is pushing 60 and hasn't bought a gaming machine since the Atari. At best the last 10 years he occasionally plays Tiger Woods golf 07 on his mac and once in a while Diablo 2. He only played the Wii a bit, mainly Wii Sports, when I had it and lived near by right after its launch and now my 60 year old dad wants to buy one.

I've had at least 20 consoles since I was a kid. From the NES to the PS3 he has never shown much interest in any of them (other then Blu Ray on the PS3 obviously) until the Wii. I doubt he'd buy a huge ammount of games or push Nintendo for "core" titles, but he would certainly pick up a Wii apparently.

So if anyone is wondering how the Wii is picking up 2 million in sales in one month, its because even 60 year olds with no kids still in the house consider buying it.

It also explains why not having any big releases doesn't hurt the Wii's sales. Do you think my dad (or similar consumers) are up on the most recent releases for the Wii? Do you think they know anything about the consternation about a sub par Nintendo E3 with no big releases except ::gag:: Wii Music? Probably not, the Wii is, unlike its competitors, semi-immune to bad software years and doesn't live release to release like the 360 and PS3 seem to.

Well my father is 64 and has won a Wii in a lottery. He has only Wii Sports but I think he is enjoying it.

But he has always the newest stuff, so it's actually not surprising (Big HDTV, iPod Nano, etc.) - unlike me :(

I agree with you. The lack of new titles do not matter at all to new Wii buyers.

Yeah, it's definitely a tide change. My grandpa played Golf once on my Wii and he really wants one, my mom lovesw playing Tennis and a few other games and she hasn't played a console since Tetris on NES, my 'friend who's a girl' ( ) doesn't play many games but loves Sports and Mario Kart, the list goes on.

It's exactly the reason why the Wii is poised to sell at least 5.5 million this month, more than doubling the PS2's best.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I just saw an episode of True Blood (the vampire series on HBO) where the vampire was sitting inside playing a golf game on his Wii. Saw the same thing in Tropic Thunder. How often do you see serious characters and business types portrayed playing any playstation or Xbox? I'm not a huge Wii fan myself, but that doesn't mean I can't understand its mass market popularity.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Impulsivity said:
I just saw an episode of True Blood (the vampire series on HBO) where the vampire was sitting inside playing a golf game on his Wii. Saw the same thing in Tropic Thunder. How often do you see serious characters and business types portrayed playing any playstation or Xbox? I'm not a huge Wii fan myself, but that doesn't mean I can't understand its mass market popularity.

Does Kenny from Kenny vs. Spenny count as a serious character ? xDDD

Well, there was an episode of Terminator a few weeks ago where John tried to play Gears and failed horribly for lack of video-gameage growing up XD

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Doesn't Anthony Soprano Jr. play his Xbox or 360 in the 5th or 6th season ?

Impulsivity said:

So I saw my parents recently before they took off to vacation in Hawaii or wherever for an early holiday gathering.  I ended up at some point telling my dad that I sold my Wii and the games I had with it (and the 4 controllers) to pay the last of my grad school tuition last quarter expecting him to think that was a fiscally responsible choice.

Instead his immediate reaction was "What?  Why didn't you tell us! We'd have bought that from you!"

I'm not young, goin on 26 now, which means my dad is pushing 60 and hasn't bought a gaming machine since the Atari.  At best the last 10 years he occasionally plays Tiger Woods golf 07 on his mac and once in a while Diablo 2.  He only played the Wii a bit, mainly Wii Sports, when I had it and lived near by right after its launch and now my 60 year old dad wants to buy one.

I've had at least 20 consoles since I was a kid.  From the NES to the PS3 he has never shown much interest in any of them (other then Blu Ray on the PS3 obviously) until the Wii.  I doubt he'd buy a huge ammount of games or push Nintendo for "core" titles, but he would certainly pick up a Wii apparently.

It also explains why not having any big releases doesn't hurt the Wii's sales.  Do you think my dad (or similar consumers) are up on the most recent releases for the Wii?  Do you think they know anything about the consternation about a sub par Nintendo E3 with no big releases except ::gag:: Wii Music?  Probably not, the Wii is, unlike its competitors, semi-immune to bad software years and doesn't live release to release like the 360 and PS3 seem to.

Your Dad plays D2?! he effing rocks!

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-