By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Could FFXIII break 1 million first week in Japan?

Dianko said:
Yeah, Dragon Quest is bigger. I believe there's even a law saying that a Dragon Quest game cannot be released on a weekday because too many people were cutting school or work to get it.

According to Wikipedia its not true...

Dragon Quest III sold over 3.8 million copies in Japan.[22] It is often mistakenly known as being the game that caused in 1988 the Japanese government to outlaw further releases of Dragon Quest games on school days, a law still in effect today. In truth, Enix themselves also decided to hold off the release of future Dragon Quest games until weekends.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5000

So they just changed it because they got mass complaints.

Also someone threatened to kill someone else over it.

Around the Network
Cueil said:
tombi123 said:
Cueil said:
RPG said:
Cueil said:
RPG said:

Yes we all know the PS3 will not sell any more units until FFXIII releases....

it wont sell 1 million unit on it's first week the game isn't big enough to do it... I'd give you the benefit of the doubt if this was a FF7 remake, but otherwise it's not going to happen

You know something I dont, englighten me on why FFXIII wont hit 1 million. Will be very intersting to see what answer you have.

It doesn't have the install base to reach those kinds of numbers... it this was the Wii I'd give a thumbs up but even 3.5 million consoles just doesn't give it a good chance of reaching 1 million on it's first week.  The series is more popular in the States then it is in Japan... over there Dragon Quest is the king of rpgs

Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy sell very similar amounts in Japan actually. 3.5M consoles is easily enough for a FF game to sell 1M first week.

PS2: 9.2 million JP at launch of Final Fantasy X 

FFX 1st wk: 1.9 million

How does that translate into FF13 selling 1 million on a console with 1/3 the userbase... back then the console market was much healthier then it is today in Japan.  The game doesn't really have a chance... I'm not saying it's impossible, but realisticly speaking it's not probable

The PS2 had sold 5M in Japan at launch of FFX, not 9M... 

If FFXIII has the same first week attach rate as FFX, then for FFXIII to sell 1M first week the PS3 userbase only needs to be 2.6M at launch. Which it is already at.

Ghutto said:
In Japan Dragon Quest is bigger than everything.

Pooookemon!

Everyone forgets about that little monster xD

Can't see it under 1.5M actually...

4 ≈ One

Kasz216 said:
Dianko said:
Yeah, Dragon Quest is bigger. I believe there's even a law saying that a Dragon Quest game cannot be released on a weekday because too many people were cutting school or work to get it.

According to Wikipedia its not true...

Dragon Quest III sold over 3.8 million copies in Japan.[22] It is often mistakenly known as being the game that caused in 1988 the Japanese government to outlaw further releases of Dragon Quest games on school days, a law still in effect today. In truth, Enix themselves also decided to hold off the release of future Dragon Quest games until weekends.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=5000

So they just changed it because they got mass complaints.

Also someone threatened to kill someone else over it.

Gotta love wikipedia. Thanks for the correction.

Around the Network

Of course it's going to break 1 million, probably more.

FFXIII and Versus must have cost an absolute bundle to make, wonder how many sales will be needed to break even.

If it doesnt sell 1 million, well, thats when the PS3 really has a crisis on its hands. I think 1 million is easy

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Munkeh111 said:
@ finalevangelion, are you saying Dragon Quest is bigger than FF?

As it always has.

And if you don't this will break a million in the first week, you need to look at past Final Fantasy sales.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

If this doesnt break 1 million I'd definitely be worried too, FFXIII should be able to pass that mark easily first week

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown