By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN's Wii Game of the Year award goes to....a wiiware title.

The_vagabond7 said:
Comrade Tovya said:
Torillian said:

Who cares what attracted more playtime, a gem that noone has ever played is still a gem. If I was the only person in the world who had played SotC I would still call it an amazing game and the same goes for WoG. Popularity has very little correlation with quality, and trying to use that as a way to disparage a great game is just disappointing.

@Comrade
Sure they shouldn't pick a Wii GotY with the intention of giving bad press to the Wii, but are you suggesting that they should base it off of what would give good press to the Wii?  Because in my mind that is just as wrong.

@everyone
This is a very cool decision by IGN to give the title to a independently made game. You guys have one of the best games available to you through Wiiware, now quit your bitching and silly conspiracy theories. It's not like an awful game won. A great game won, just not the one you wanted to win. Oh well, deal with it.

No, I am not saying that they should give a blockbuster game the GOTY title simply to give the game good press.  But they chose blockbuster games for both the PS3 & 360, but for the "casual" Wii, they pick a little played or known game.  I'm sorry, but the LARGE majority of Wii owners wouldn't call their declared "winner" the Game of the Year.

I think it's just the writer saying that the Wii sucks so bad, they have to give the award to a little known or played game... it's the industries' dislike for the Wii because of poor 3rd party support and in all reality, the best games are 1st party.  I think IGN is a little to closely aligned with 3rd party software companies that maybe have a bias against the Wii because of this.

Who really knows...?  It's just speculation.

But, if IGN were to give XBOX 360 Game of the Year honors to Bomberman: Act Zero, you'd hear 360 fans crying fowl as well... I don't care if IGN thought that it was the best game of the year for that console.  The people, the fans who play the games, don't agree.  It just seems like arrogance when a site declares a game a winner of an award despite the fact that they are in the small minority of people who think so.  It really looks as if they are saying, "F' you readers, we are in charge, and we'll declare whomever we want to be the winner whether you like it or not... we are the mighty IGN".

I really hate that site, their reviews and game ratings suck anyway.

You know they have reader voted awards too, right? Why would they give out awards based on their perception of what the readers expect, and then a second set of awards for what the readers actually voted for? The oscars don't go based on who they think people like the most, or what movie got the most hype/coverage/movie ticket sales. Being a blockbuster doesn't mean much in the eyes of a critic, and that's what they are being asked to do for an awards show, or article or whatever. It's not fan service, they aren't there to give the majority what they want.

Actually, no you are wrong.  There are less than 6000 people eligible to vote for the Oscars, and the majority of the voters are actors.  Therefore, politics go into voting quite often.

Don't get me started on past Oscar winners.  Hollywood actors often have an agenda when they vote for a movie... even if that movie tanks in the theatre, they still often give a movie an award or nomination because IT'S A MOVIE THEY LIKE.

We the people's opinions on a movie mean jack to Hollywood such as is revealed often in the Academy Awards.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network

yeah, that's my point. We the people's opinion don't mean jack in critical awards, and that's what these are. They aren't there to get a pulse of what's being said on various message boards and then mirror that. They are there to be critics, and give the awards based on what they think as critics.

And then they have one where anybody can vote, the people's choice awards. But you seem to suggest their awards should be "whatever the people thing". Why would they have the same think twice?

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Oh I gotcha, sorry, just misread it...

Yeah, we agree... I just think that people read too much into their opinions. They are BS opinions, but they don't mean anything.

Hypothetically, we can all agree 100% that MarioKart Wii is the greatest game on the Wii, and if one guy who writes an award article that says it's the worst game of the year, then according to the gaming media, it's now become fact.

It's all a farce really...

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Well of course any award is a farce. It's just somebody who has managed to land in a job that arbitrarily bestows upon them some form of visage of authority that decides he likes one over the other. Any award over subjective material is going to have that element of silliness to it.

Which is why I don't get why people are so bent out of shape. If someone likes brawl better, fine, this doesn't change how much you enjoy brawl, sorry if some guy on the interwebz isn't pandering to your taste. And I really doubt the Nintendo team was in a smoke filled back room talking about how much they hate the wii, and Nintendo especially for making the wii and that they will wage guerrilla nerd combat by giving the award to a different ingenious artistically brilliant game with a fantastic sountrack and inventive gameplay just to shove it up Nintendo's ass that it's strategy of producing easily accessible cheap games made by smaller independant studios is producing quality entertainment.....wait what? Yeah, take that Nintendo, take it all bitch.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

You know, I don't necessarily agree with IGNs decision, but I like Wii's winner a lot more than the ones on 360 and PS3.

First off, World of Goo is a new IP and console-exclusive, while 360 and PS3 are dominated by blockbuster sequels and multiplats - some might even call them high budget games from the nineties. Wii's winner is actually a fresh game, and shows that even the little guy can compete equally with the big gaming titans and win, even though the victory is quite minor in this case.

That being said: Good games will remain good, regardless of the prizes they may or may not win.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Around the Network
Torillian said:

Who cares what attracted more playtime, a gem that noone has ever played is still a gem. If I was the only person in the world who had played SotC I would still call it an amazing game and the same goes for WoG. Popularity has very little correlation with quality, and trying to use that as a way to disparage a great game is just disappointing.

You're talking about a different type of popularity.

Played time isn't about sales, and it's not about the amount of people who have heard of a game.  It's about how often the game's owners play it, and for how long.

Carnival Games is a good example, it's wildly popular and has sold millions, but nobody plays it.  One statistic common among good games is that people play them.

Owners of this year's GoTY have only played it for 7 hours.  Are those the greatest 7 hours of gaming they've had in 2008?  Yes, according to IGN.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Way back on the 3rd page of this thread, frybread said "It's not the job of game reviewers to shape and mold the game industry."

On the contraty, it absolutely is the role of game critics to shape and mold the game industry; in fact, that's why they exist.  That's why critics exist in any medium, whether it's film, music, art, or food.  Brad Bird's soliloquy for Anton Ego at the end of Ratatouille defines the role of the critic thusly:

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends... Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

I'm not going to take sides on whether SMBB or WoG is a better game, but what is clear is that Brawl, for all of its wonderful goodness, is not new.  It's not going to push the medium of video games forward.

IGN has a vision for what the Wii can be as a platform; it coincides with Iwata's creed (which IGN quoted in giving WoG its award for most innovative design) that it is not the big budget, but the big idea that will make the Wii flourish.  IGN sees the Wii as a unique platform that, moreso than PS3, 360, or PC, encourages looking at games as a new means of expression, allowing developers to create new experiences for players, to generate new feelings.  For IGN to push that vision onto the industry and to reward those developers that they think can make it happen is not "passive-aggressive"; it is, in fact, the most meaningful thing that any critic can ever do.

For more thoughts, I highly recommend Chuck Klosterman's column in Esquire about the state of video game criticism (http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0706KLOSTER_66).  Money quote:

"And that, ultimately, is why the absence of video-game criticism is a problem. If nobody ever thinks about these games in a manner that's human and metaphorical and contextual, they'll all become strictly commodities, and then they'll all become boring. They'll only be games. And since we've already agreed that video games are the new rock music, we'd be facing a rather depressing scenario: This generation's single most meaningful artistic idiom will be--ultimately--meaningless."

The_vagabond7 said:

World of Goo wins IGN's game of the year award on wii.

In a showdown to the death, 2D Boy's magnificent physics-drenched puzzler edged out Super Smash Bros. Brawl for this year's top award. Partly because Brawl, with its welcomed extra characters and stages, ultimately hasn't changed much from its predecessor. And partly because Goo feels so fresh and new, not to mention innovative. Full of brain-teasing puzzles and engulfed by beautifully stylized graphics, it's a WiiWare game that redefines what is possible on Nintendo's download service and simultaneously puts the majority of retail Wii games to shame. Goo is as important to WiiWare as Wii Sports is to Wii.

that also means playing by yourself is no fun still :(