By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN's Wii Game of the Year award goes to....a wiiware title.

There is nothing left for me as far as respect for gaming media. I use media only for information about unreleased games. For games that are out, I look to the gamers for reviews or GOTY canidates.

World of Goo is an awesome game. I love the crap out of it and if I downloaded games, I would have picked it up in a heartbeat. Matter of fact, I was quoted as saying they could have released it at retail, exactly as it is, and for double the price, and I would have gladly paid for it.

That being said, there is absolutely NO FUCKING WAY this game is better than Brawl. Brawl has more of everything, amazing fan service, and some of the best multi player I can think of. In my opinion, it barely snubs out Metal Gear Solid 4 for Game of the Year over all.

Not everyone may agree with me about this, and I understand opinions are different, but come on, Smash Bros. Brawl was clearly the best Wii game this year. Sure Mario Kart could be argued. And Wii Fit is as drastically different, much harsher on the wallet, and far more loved, than World of Goo, but this is about which game is a cut above all others. World of Goo is not a cut above Brawl, Mario Kart, or even Pro Evolution Soccer 2008.

I am very disappointed and shocked. I understand now that the gaming media does push agenda and does not have any integrity or self-respect left. I literally spit on what is left of that gaming, "community."

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

"They saw a unique, wonderfully realized, ingenious game, with an incredible soundtrack, art work, story, and gameplay and gave it the award regardless of it's pricetag..."

The same could be said about Wii Fit.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

twesterm said:
Lucas-Rio said:
twesterm said:
Lucas-Rio said:
twesterm said:
Lucas-Rio said:
Honestly, this is a insult for the Wii. World of Goo is a little game that can be downloaded. He could be good , but he will never deserve the title of best game of the year.

SSBB is by far the best game of the year on Wii. This is not even debatable. No doubt about it. IGN is delusional and can not be took for serious anymore.

I'm not sure why you consider a good downloadable game any less impressive than a full disc game. Look at Braid on the 360, it was one of the best games on the 360 this year and it is a downloadable game made by two people.

Just becase a game is a smaller scale doesn't make it worse than a large scale game.

Because it is less impressive than a full disc game. The difference of content is obvious. Brawl is an enormous game who offers all we wanted. I have not played World of Goo and I don't plan to play it, but he can't offer what SSBB can offer. If we add that SSBB is the funniest game on Wii and the best multi player game available on this console, I can't see how goo could steal the title of best Wii game of the year.
That also reduces the Wii library to Wiiware, who is in his major part worthless , more as a little bonus, if we are honest.

You know, I had a nice little argument all planned out and about 1/3 of the way written but I decided to not waste my time on someone who hasn't played the game, who more than likely isn't going to ever play this game, and is someone is too stubborn to ever change their mind.

Have fun in your sad, small, and closed off little world.

I fail to understand what is your problem? Have you some emotional issues because I thought that Smash Bros Brawl deserves this award more than a WiiWare game?

No, in fact, I do think SSBB deserves it more than World of Goo (but SSBB still isn't the best this year, I'd give that to Boom Blox or MK:Wii), but my reasons are actually valid. While I base mine on things like gameplay, art direction, fun (which both games have plenty of), you base yours off of one is downloadable so it's impossible to win and the other is full of stuff and more is better.

The fact that he is a Wiiware shows that it is a little game, more as a concept game. Do you really think that can be compared with a game like SSBB, who is near the perfection in his style, is the best multi player game on Wii , in addition to having the best content?

Without to mention that this choice would make appear the Wii as a console for small games or concept game only. I doubt they would choose PlaystationStore games for the best PS3 game of the year. Never.

Impulsivity said:

What changed?  70% of the items you use are the same, several of the stages even overlap directly.  The 3 divisions are the same (50, 100, 150), mirror courses to try and stretch those stages are the same.  There are a few new characters and a few new stages, does that make the game totally different?  

Compare link to the past (SNES) with a newer Zelda game or compare Mario World to Mario 64 or Galaxy, huge changes.  The changes to Mario Kart (and Smash Bros) have been primarily cosmetic.  The stages and gameplay are more or less identical.

I can't think offhand of one major feature besides the one I mentioned (motorcycles) that has changed.  Time trials, Vs mode (which I would argue was BETTER in the SNES and N64 version, that block fort alone was worth hours upon hours of play) with baloons...everything is the same!   Mario Kart Wii isn't even the best version (the N64 version deserves that honor especially for its battle mode).

Actually...I would argue that the peak of almost all current Nintendo series was the N64 Era now that I'm thinking about it.

Mario 64 is still the best Mario game, Orciana of Time is still the best Zelda game, Mario Kart 64 is still the best Mario Kart and SSB on N64 had WAY less timing cheese then the later versions even if it had less characters.   On top of that other great N64 games like Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and Conker never made the trip because Nintendo let Rare get away.  

I know a lot of people are on the Wii bandwagon and the Wii is far more successful then the N64, but I would contend that the N64 is the peak of Nintendo's core game library.  The only series that has improved on the N64 gen is Metroid with the Prime series, but that was never made for N64 so kind of a wash.

Mario Kart Wii has plenty of differences from older Mario Kart games.  Here are some of them

-Double the number of courses of most other Mario Karts, half of which are new, and half of which are remakes.

-Double the number of battle courses of most other Mario Karts, half new, half remakes

-Many more characters to choose from.

-Many more karts to choose from.

-Motorcycles to choose from.

-More particapants in each race.

-Online - races, battles, ghosts, time trial rankings, bi-monthly tournaments

-Wiimote steering (awesome in my opinion)

So, what else are you going to add or change to make this game better?  The game still needs to be Mario Kart at its heart, so there isn't too much else you can change.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Bah I tried world of good(like lemmings with goo) fun and all but GOTY ?! Blasphemy ! Should of been either Mario Kart or Brawl .

Around the Network

They mustve been given like 2 games to pick from.

This is ridiculous. I'm getting fanboy juice all over my shirt, some people need to cover their mouths when they type.

If you disagree people fine, but if you think they are Nintendo hating fanboys for doing it, that only shows the mindset you're approaching from.

Kudos to them for the ballzy move, I'm out.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Lucas-Rio said:

The fact that he is a Wiiware show that it is a little game, more as a concept game. Do you really think that can be compared with a game like  SSBB, who is near the perfection in his style, is the best multi player game on Wii , in addition to having the best content?

Without to mention that this choice would make appear the Wii as a console for small games or concept game only. I doubt they would choose PlaystationStore games for the best PS3 game of the year.  Never.

World of Goo isn't a concept game.  It started as one but then they released it was actually fun and then made it into a full game (or was that de Blob?  I forget).  Either way, it is a full game and once again, a large scale does not a good game make.

Even though World of Goo may be small enough to download it's obviously a crapload of fun or else people wouldn't love it so much.  You're pretty much saying things like Megaman 9, Portal, Braid, Echnochrome, Flow, and all the other brilliant small or downloadable games out there should be ignored because they had a small budget or just aren't on the same scale.

If what you're saying is true we should really just look at the budget of each game.  In that case, I guess some of the best games this gen were MGS4, GTAIV, Halo 3, Haze, Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Too Human.  Screw whatever is actually inside of them, those things cost HUGE amounts of money so they're obviously better. 

I mean MGS4, that thing has long cut scene after long cut scene and that means more playtime.  Awesome game.

GTAIV cost a shit-ton to make and it's open world which means you can play it all day, that's even better than long cut scenes!

And Halo 3 may have a short single play campaign, but it has lots of multiplayer which is even better than a sandbox because you're playing with other people.

And then there's Haze, Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Too Human-- all big budget and if they spent a lot of money on the game that must mean they're good so definitaly some game of the year contenders there.  Fuck amazing things like Braid.  What good can come out of $180,000?  Even though that's a full game, it's really nothing more than a concept right?  And Heavenly Sword may have been short, but the production values were so amazing!  Definite contender right there.

And why would a WiiWare game mean that only small games should get made?  If SSBB had won should everyone only make 4 player fighting games?  You should actually think about your reasoning before you type them.  If World of Goo winning means we only get creative small scale creative fun games on the Wii then sign me up.

Truth is a good game is simply good regardless of budget or scale.  World of Goo is a really good game therefore there's no reason it can't be better than SSBB.

Oh well, it doesn't affect how I enjoy my games, so It's more of a "Oh, that's nice." sort of thing.

Besides, my Game of the Year isn't either of those titles... it would have to be Okami. Amazing game for sure.

twesterm said:
Lucas-Rio said:

The fact that he is a Wiiware show that it is a little game, more as a concept game. Do you really think that can be compared with a game like SSBB, who is near the perfection in his style, is the best multi player game on Wii , in addition to having the best content?

Without to mention that this choice would make appear the Wii as a console for small games or concept game only. I doubt they would choose PlaystationStore games for the best PS3 game of the year. Never.

World of Goo isn't a concept game. It started as one but then they released it was actually fun and then made it into a full game (or was that de Blob? I forget). Either way, it is a full game and once again, a large scale does not a good game make.

Even though World of Goo may be small enough to download it's obviously a crapload of fun or else people wouldn't love it so much. You're pretty much saying things like Megaman 9, Portal, Braid, Echnochrome, Flow, and all the other brilliant small or downloadable games out there should be ignored because they had a small budget or just aren't on the same scale.

If what you're saying is true we should really just look at the budget of each game. In that case, I guess some of the best games this gen were MGS4, GTAIV, Halo 3, Haze, Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Too Human. Screw whatever is actually inside of them, those things cost HUGE amounts of money so they're obviously better.

I mean MGS4, that thing has long cut scene after long cut scene and that means more playtime. Awesome game.

GTAIV cost a shit-ton to make and it's open world which means you can play it all day, that's even better than long cut scenes!

And Halo 3 may have a short single play campaign, but it has lots of multiplayer which is even better than a sandbox because you're playing with other people.

And then there's Haze, Lair, Heavenly Sword, and Too Human-- all big budget and if they spent a lot of money on the game that must mean they're good so definitaly some game of the year contenders there. Fuck amazing things like Braid. What good can come out of $180,000? Even though that's a full game, it's really nothing more than a concept right? And Heavenly Sword may have been short, but the production values were so amazing! Definite contender right there.

And why would a WiiWare game mean that only small games should get made? If SSBB had won should everyone only make 4 player fighting games? You should actually think about your reasoning before you type them. If World of Goo winning means we only get creative small scale creative fun games on the Wii then sign me up.

Truth is a good game is simply good regardless of budget or scale. World of Goo is a really good game therefore there's no reason it can't be better than SSBB.

I don't look at the budget of the games. By exemple, i enjoy more playing Tetris that most of the games that you list. However, I admit that I give the award at the title who is extraordinary fun AND who has the best content, the more options and  the best quality overall.

That's why a downloaded title can't win. Even if they are funs and all, there are disc games who are at least as fun as them , but who have the content that they lack.