By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo sell 4 million Wii's in month???

NJ5 said:
During January-October, Nintendo sells around 75% of what they produce. During November/December, they sell almost everything that they produce in these two months, plus the 25% of the other 10 months' production that they stockpiled.

makes sense.

Around the Network
Daddo Splat said:
Also kotaku suggested they would ramp to 2.4 million production in the summer which is why during aug,sept, oct there were Wii's on store shelve in America.

And probably where the extra numbers come from inventory in the supply chain. Once the inventory is gone then sales should level out at production numbers. if the economy allows that.

Well, Kotaku is wrong (and not for the first time).

2.4 production started April 1st, the start of the new Financial Year. They could have done it earlier I suppose, but they already surpassed their targets. So that makes (calender year 2008):

3 months x 1.8 million = 5.4 million
9 months x 2.4 million = 21.6 million
= 27 million Wii's available

On November 29th (VGC) there were 20 million Wii's sold YTD, which leaves 7 million for December (and Nintendo announced that they were supplying more than 2.4 million Wii's per month for November and December, so could even be 8 million)

Mabey, i would say soo,

Daddo Splat said:

If Nintendo is making 2.4 million Wii's a month and sales exceed that figure is it because they had stock in the supply line???

http://www.infendo.com/wii/monthly-wii-production-ramps-to-24-million/

And will sales start to drop after Christmas or will they keep pushing 2.4 million a month????

Nintendo can't adjust production very quickly.   They have to set up contracts, etc.  If they are making 2.4 million per month, expect that contract to last at least 6 months, probably longer.  But chances are their next production change will be another increase.

Expect significantly more than 4 million units sold for December.  What was the PS2's record for a single month?  Expect it shattered.

Even the sales data confirms that they were stockpiling all year long:

Jan: ~1.57mil
Feb: ~1.28mil
March: ~1.33mil
April: ~1.52mil
May: ~2.49mil
June: ~1.60mil
July: ~1.86mil
August: ~1.30mil
September: ~1.26mil
October: ~2.02mil
November: ~3.28mil

Were they shipping out exactly what they made each month, given the way that demand has been, each month would be close to 2mil or 2.4mil (depending on which half of the year you look at). And November's sales would have been completely impossible without stockpiling.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Dec will be 6.5m or so four weeks.

3.25m Americas

2.9m Others

350k Japan

If they screw Europe over, they could sell 4m just in the USA.

Something like that. Should be a massive drop off in Japan though as I think they're going to run out again, which is why they aren't releasing any top software in January to March for Wii in the USA.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Sky Render said:
Even the sales data confirms that they were stockpiling all year long:

Jan: ~1.57mil
Feb: ~1.28mil
March: ~1.33mil
April: ~1.52mil
May: ~2.49mil
June: ~1.60mil
July: ~1.86mil
August: ~1.30mil
September: ~1.26mil
October: ~2.02mil
November: ~3.28mil

Were they shipping out exactly what they made each month, given the way that demand has been, each month would be close to 2mil or 2.4mil (depending on which half of the year you look at). And November's sales would have been completely impossible without stockpiling.

your table is out of date. America has been updated, so now November shows a total of ~3.64m units

And  yes, I think they can do a 4m unit month. They already did ~2.7m in December, and they have 2 more weeks within the calendar month. So if they manage 1.5m again (which is highly likely) they will break 4m units. In fact, I can see them easily doing 6.3m units within December alone.

However, I believe that NDP will count the week ending Jan 3 as a December week. so we could see up to 7m units in NPD December.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Its very possible. However, if there are no good releases of Wii games, then that could affect it from sellling 4 million in a month. So far that hasn't happen. So I guess it probably will selling 4 million in a month.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

I doubt. There is demand for it. But no suply.

One_touch_KO said:
I doubt. There is demand for it. But no suply.

The Wii just sold 4m in the last 3 weeks.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)