By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Toshiba to Debut 512-Gbyte SSDs at CES

Toshiba to Debut 512-Gbyte SSDs at CES

Toshiba on Thursday announced another big step in the industry-wide adoption of solid state drives--the first 2.5-inch 512GB SSD. The drive will make its public debut at CES in January.

The company will also be debuting a number of different capacity SSD drives--64-, 128, and 256GB drives, available in either 1.8-inch or 2.5-inch form factors. The drives feature MLC controllers, read speeds of 240 Mbytes/s, and write speeds of 200 Mbytes/s.

The drives also contain AES data encryption.

"The solid state drive market is evolving rapidly, with higher performance drives to meet market requirements, and differentiated product families targeted for appropriate applications," said MKiyoshi Kobayashi, vice president of Toshiba Corporation's semiconductor company, in a statement. "This new 43nm SSD family balances value/performance characteristics for its targeted consumer applications, through use of MLC NAND and an advanced controller architecture."

Samples will be available in the first quarter of 2009, with mass production beginning the second quarter.

It seems the technology is coming along nicely.  I wonder how expensive they are going to be.
Any predictions on when we are going to see the industry move away from hard drives to SSDs?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Sweet! I hope we see a good cost/gigabyte ratio for them (or perhaps, "reasonable" is the word to use.)

I'm not sure if SSD drives will ever replace traditional hard drives for all applications, but the capacities are climbing rapidly. I'm guessing the cost of this new drive will be several thousand dollars.

So what exactly are the advantages of solid state over a hard drive?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on this, but if I remember correctly, the advatages include:

No moving parts
Faster read/write times
Less space
Less energy use

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT:  I think they are more reliable, too.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

hi,to every forum members

this is jack

actually in opinion tosiba is the excellent software providing all needs and necessaries

Latest news about horse racing. Betting tips and odds

for any information please visit our site.....

==============

jackjill

Uk Horse betting

I already amde a whole thread about SSDs when I learned of USB 3.0 (4.8 gig/s data transfer rate). I predict we'll go SSD within a few years when the 128 models become even cheaper, and several more years until 64 gig ones and such become cheap enough to be mass produced until we start seeing games sold on them. Disc drives have run their course, SSD is the true successor to the CD/DVD, just like they were the true successors of the magnetic tape, not the BluRay, as some would like you to think.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

the cost....

THE COST!!!!

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

thekitchensink said:
So what exactly are the advantages of solid state over a hard drive?

A solid state drive has dramatically lower seek times and latency which results in much higher data transfer rates ... On top of that, if you put 2 (or 4) solid state discs into a Raid 0 configuration you get (roughly) twice (or 4 times) the data transfer rate.

Also, spinning the disc takes a lot of energy and produces quite a bit of heat which limits how small or portable a laptop (or other device) can become.

At least these things are coming out. It will probably be several years until drives of this size are affordable though.

Its ironic that most people were complaining about hard drives not being big enough but then we went with technology that is real expensive to make large hard drives with.

Not that I am complaining, as solid state offers A LOT of advantages, but I just find it ironic that in some ways we took a temporary step backwards.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson