By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Take-Two Reports PS3 Biggest Revenue Generator

WAY TO GO PS3!!!!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
Serious_frusting said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Serious_frusting said:
DarkNight_DS said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
DarkNight_DS said:
@SpartanFX: I didn't disagree but if you don't make profit off what you are doing. What's the point? If the PS3 is their biggest revenue generator and it's where most of their games were bought for. This means the PS3 was also the biggest reason they lost money.

Um... how can PS3 be both the biggest generator of revenue and the biggest contributor to their losses? For that to make sense, they'd have to be losing money on each game they sold :S

Exactly what's happened.  Games don't turn a profit until X amount are sold.  They lost money off each game sold as they never met the magic sales number.

ievery game you sell makes profit, more games sold means more profit. unless you are saying that the profits off each ps3 game is so small that they were still not able to to sell enough games to make a profit, i doubt it though

Read my other post which explains profit and revenue.  You don't seem to quite grasp what profit means and how you get profit.  If you spent 10 dollars for 10 chocolate bars and sold 3 of those chocolate bars for 2 bucks a piece you still lost 4 dollars.  Your revenue is 6 bucks, your loss is 4 bucks.

i know what it means, i am just saying that they will not sell each disk for the game at a loss. so it fair to say they made some profit off each disk sold. however they were not able to sell enough disks to cover the dev costs of the game meaning no profits overall

No you don't... you really really don't.  Sigh.... they sell each and every game at a loss until they've sold enough games to cover expenses and then they make some profit.

i know lol. i am just trying to say that each disk they sell makes a tiny profit. but they need to sell so many disks to get overall profit. but you are saying each disk is sold at a loss untill they sell enough to make a profit. me and you are saying the same thing but in dif way. i am just saying it in a way to make people know that each disk makes a a profit but you need to sell so many disks for the profit from each disk to add up to a number that exceeds the costs to make the game.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

jcp234 said:

a SMART company would postpone development on future projects that would compromise profits until the next fiscal year

If what you're saying is true, then this company obviously needs new management. That is not to say that you are wrong, I just find it hard to believe.

A "smart" company would go for short term profits instead of long term growth? I find that one hard to believe to be honest.

outlawauron said:
DarkNight_DS said:
outlawauron said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Revenue means nothing if there is no profit to go with it. Who's to say if the PS3 games were profitable or not. It'd have been nice if T2 included that info with their financials. Then we'd have something to discuss!

Well, 35% of 1.5 billion is more than enough to cover all the expenses of GTA 4 and NBA 2K9 as they were the only big games released during this financial.

I wish that made sense but it doesn't.

That the PS3 brought 35% of their 1.5 billion revenue.

I'm saying that, 35% of that 1.5 billion is more than enough to cover the costs of the games released and thus the PS3 being profitable for Take-Two this quarter.

I can't see why people think it's a bad thing.

Take away the PS3 revenues and they'd be even further in the hole than they are.

@DarkNight et al

look at the report.

total cost of goods is only up 10% - why is this the PS3's fault? there is nothing to indicate it is.

The largest hits are from Production Costs (including materials), Marketing and selling costs, and general and administrative costs. It's in their report.

remember a teeny tiny thing about the price of oil back then at about $150 a barrel and the huge fuel price bump?

If it's no longer in the news it seems people tend to forget rather fast.

Revenue from the PS3 accounted for 35% quarter and 34% for the year. PC only 5% and 2% YoY. axe that devision, it counts for a small portion of revenue.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

And still anti Sony nerds find the need to start bashing again, can't you guys get another hobby or at least get a check up with a psychologist??

EA mentioned as well they make the most profit on the PS3. This is good news, good news that the PS3 needs for a change. @FryBread, wow how'd you do that??

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Nice data for the PS3, the install base now seems high enough to beat 360 worldwide software revenue for companies if factors are to its favour. Similar reports existed with regard to Ubisoft and EA revenues.

The PS3 has become a very interesting platform for multi-platform developers as well, now let's hope most projects will be PS3 lead so that both 360 and PS3 game engine quality can improve.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

seriously... people are redic... only way the ps3 is responsible for the losses is if they are spending money on the Ps3 right now. The games that are being sold right now that were developed for the ps3 are in past financials...

Bioshock is the difference. It was a quiet quarter for Take Two. Their 2009 lineup is looking fantastic though.

Million said:
So PS3 makes them more revenue so they reward PS3 owners with exclusive DLC for the 360...

Microsoft did pay the 50 million for it... I'm sure that more then makes up for it

Devise01 said:
Bioshock is the difference. It was a quiet quarter for Take Two. Their 2009 lineup is looking fantastic though.

so a year old port that was on sale for one week is the difference.... ok