By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Red Ringed Xbox 360s Still Dog Microsoft

Tigawoods said:
megaman2 said:
mrstickball said:
1) The consoles weren't new...It's an old refurb
2) No mention of RRoDing on newer consoles
3) Both people are complaining of refurbs breaking...Not new.

There are your answers. Stop posting this crap before you read it or I'll feel free to post some useless anti-Sony articles on the Sony forum :-p

All you are doing is trying to incite something that just isn't there.

Mrstickball I only post fair and balanced journalism, I consider both factors. Seeing as the article was posted on December 17th one would gues this happened recently, meaning the newer consoles as he had already gone through three Xbox 360's. My threads are there to inform the general people of the vgchartz community.

1. Lol

2. With that logic I guess everyone exchanged their old 360's in, got new ones and now the new ones are all RRODing. People own older 360s, myself included and it's very much possible that they can RROD 3 years after they've been bought. It's no different with the refurbed ones. RROD is a problem, we get it, but don't insult our intelligence saying you're here to "inform" the masses about the problem. Childish in every sense.

Methinks that Megaman didn't realize my very own X360 RRoDed 4 weeks ago. Problem was, it was an old refurb that was ancient (well before Falcons were released...And I don't even know if it had the 2nd heatsink in it).

Everyone knows that the refurbs still have problems...Thats why there was a string of posts in late November that pointed out the said problem. I guess Megaman forgot to bother reading the MS forums when he got banned.

Branko - The new consoles with the 65/65nm combos are out in the wild. The Jaspers reduced power consumption by almost 20%, and should further increase the reliability of the X360.

And as for reliability, there was a pretty awesome study at NeoGAF that chronicled 1,311 Xbox 360 deaths since the product released. What's amazing is that of inside that 1,311 number (and the list is still getting updated) less than five were made after August 2007. And this study went up to this August with accurate information. All told, there were more Falcon owners with DVD failures than RRoDs. The survey had roughly 50 failures per month cataloged, and there was a significant drop in RRoD-related cases after the Falcon launched...And all of the continued RRoD problems were either non-Falcons crapping out, or refurbs.

Jaspers should improve on RRoDs even moreso. RRoDs on new units (since Falcons) have been almost non-existant...There are as many PS3s that have died from various symptoms as there are Falcons, and the Jaspers should make the console even more reliable.

And just think: This time next year, we'll see an even newer, more reliable X360 come out. Yes, the older refurbs suck, and so did the first run X360s...But after Falcons came out, Microsoft fixed 95% of their mistakes.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

They shouldn't be sending people refurbished consoles as replacements if they're still susceptible to the problem. It's almost as if they're trying to get away with a continuous recycle program. If it's not an issue with newer consoles and they've obviously fixed it can't they just give them the newer 'jasper' revision?

mrstickball said:
So what's fair and balanced about you saying 'RRoD won't go away', when it's pretty obvious it has on any newly purchased console in the past year+?

Have you ever bothered to research the causes of RRoD? There's a reason for these horror stories, but I question if your 'fair and balanced view' ever took it into consideration.

Even the newer models unfortunately are stil a victim of the rrod, the newer models have only reduced the failure rate however the problem is still there.

I take everything into consideration before posting my findings and my information has been both fair and balanced

References used to conclude my on going investigation

http://news.filefront.com/gdc-2008-red-ring-of-death-strikes-again/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28284375/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/red_ring_of_death_returns.html

Fumanchu -

Yes and no. The newer refurbs have a hybrid chip in them with the Falcon/Jasper parts, but no HDMI port to work with the older non-Falcon cases & parts.

The issue is like what we see with consoles at retailers - A lot of the stock is old, and hasn't been upgraded with the newer parts. Once a console RRoDs, and goes back to Mesquite Texas (the MS repair center), it gets the newest parts in it once fixed..However, they ship out another console than the one you *usually* send in..That's what causes the problem. MS has most likely had to run through the old, non-Falcon stock before they got newer models to send out as repaired consoles.

I'd imagine that as time goes forward, refurb reliability will continue to slowly go up, as newer, better Falcon/Jasper mobos are installed in the old non-HDMI cases for refurb/repairs.

fail thread

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Tigawoods said:
megaman2 said:
mrstickball said:
1) The consoles weren't new...It's an old refurb
2) No mention of RRoDing on newer consoles
3) Both people are complaining of refurbs breaking...Not new.

There are your answers. Stop posting this crap before you read it or I'll feel free to post some useless anti-Sony articles on the Sony forum :-p

All you are doing is trying to incite something that just isn't there.

Mrstickball I only post fair and balanced journalism, I consider both factors. Seeing as the article was posted on December 17th one would gues this happened recently, meaning the newer consoles as he had already gone through three Xbox 360's. My threads are there to inform the general people of the vgchartz community.

1. Lol

2. With that logic I guess everyone exchanged their old 360's in, got new ones and now the new ones are all RRODing. People own older 360s, myself included and it's very much possible that they can RROD 3 years after they've been bought. It's no different with the refurbed ones. RROD is a problem, we get it, but don't insult our intelligence saying you're here to "inform" the masses about the problem. Childish in every sense.

Methinks that Megaman didn't realize my very own X360 RRoDed 4 weeks ago. Problem was, it was an old refurb that was ancient (well before Falcons were released...And I don't even know if it had the 2nd heatsink in it).

Everyone knows that the refurbs still have problems...Thats why there was a string of posts in late November that pointed out the said problem. I guess Megaman forgot to bother reading the MS forums when he got banned.

Branko - The new consoles with the 65/65nm combos are out in the wild. The Jaspers reduced power consumption by almost 20%, and should further increase the reliability of the X360.

And as for reliability, there was a pretty awesome study at NeoGAF that chronicled 1,311 Xbox 360 deaths since the product released. What's amazing is that of inside that 1,311 number (and the list is still getting updated) less than five were made after August 2007. And this study went up to this August with accurate information. All told, there were more Falcon owners with DVD failures than RRoDs. The survey had roughly 50 failures per month cataloged, and there was a significant drop in RRoD-related cases after the Falcon launched...And all of the continued RRoD problems were either non-Falcons crapping out, or refurbs.

Jaspers should improve on RRoDs even moreso. RRoDs on new units (since Falcons) have been almost non-existant...There are as many PS3s that have died from various symptoms as there are Falcons, and the Jaspers should make the console even more reliable.

And just think: This time next year, we'll see an even newer, more reliable X360 come out. Yes, the older refurbs suck, and so did the first run X360s...But after Falcons came out, Microsoft fixed 95% of their mistakes.

Megaman2 was busy conducting research. At the end of the day Microsoft were aware of these problems back in 2005 as a former employee pointed out but rushed the console. All in an attemp to beat the competition, this problem should never even existed had Microsoft done the right thing and taken the time to properly construct the Xbo 360, they would have had to pay $1.5 billion to cover repairs. In the end Xbox 360 has no doubt the best games library but the console is not up to par Mrstickball.

RROD, the icon mark of a true 360 fanboy...lol. Guess I'm not one (knock on wood) since I've not experience it yet, but my time is surely coming, as their has been times when I got a RROD, but I turned off my machine and restarted and it when away. I'm acutally looking forward to my RROD experience, so that I can have my badge of honor...jk.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

megaman2 said:
mrstickball said:
So what's fair and balanced about you saying 'RRoD won't go away', when it's pretty obvious it has on any newly purchased console in the past year+?

Have you ever bothered to research the causes of RRoD? There's a reason for these horror stories, but I question if your 'fair and balanced view' ever took it into consideration.

Even the newer models unfortunately are stil a victim of the rrod, the newer models have only reduced the failure rate however the problem is still there.

I take everything into consideration before posting my findings and my information has been both fair and balanced

References used to conclude my on going investigation

http://news.filefront.com/gdc-2008-red-ring-of-death-strikes-again/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28284375/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/red_ring_of_death_returns.html

Ya know, random stories about how an Xbox 360 died at GDC almost a year ago really shouldn't cut it for informative reporting.

Here's the only one you need:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13988512&postcount=9403

In the figures so far are 1339 dead / replaced 360s, 26 of which were falcon models.

This Month

RRoD: 42
Other Red Light: 7
Drive: 4
Freezing: 3
PSU: 1
Video: 1

17 of the 22 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues
RRoD: 12
DOA: 5
1RL: 4
Video: 4
Freezing: 1

There you go. How does that look to you? 26 repaired Falcons, with 12 being RRoD (he's updated the post since I last saw it). Almost 1,000 unique X360 death reports since Falcon's launched, with Falcon issues (RRoD and otherwise) consisting of under 3% of all console failures.

Unless you dislike such a robust aggregation system, I fail to see how random postings of the GDC issue and the joke article you published really make for 'fair and balanced' anything.

I think people should have the right to post any news article pertinent to the topic of gaming here, without being called out for it. This isn't a private PM to YOU, it's a new media published article that has every right to be here.

If it's his perogative/agenda to present the 360 in a bad light then so be it. It's turning into a 'no negative news can be posted here board' because it upsets the fans of that console...boo hoo. I'm sure if you feel like-minded in your view against the PS3, there's plenty more 'ammunition' currently in the media for you to use.

I'm sure colonelstubbs will be enjoying his NEW and MORE RELIABLE Xbox 360 this christmas going into the new year then easter!

I'm pretty sure you do hope some Xbox 360's do RROD on people this christmas just so you can post this crap again, news flash! Xbox's 360's will be RROD' for years to come while there are still launch models out there.