By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN 2008 PS3 Game of the Year is

Some terrible choices. Oh well, at least MGS4 didn't win best story :)

Around the Network

Metal Gear Solid 4 deserves it, gawd how I love it

^_^

To everybody who says GTA4 is going to win Game of The Year, if that was going to happen, it also would have been PS3 GoTY, right? How can you have MGS4 winning the PS3 award and then giving the overall award to a game that is on PS3 and is arguably superior to the 360 version?

I don't think Gears 2 really stands a chance. GTA4 was MGS4's only real competitor for GoTY this year, and it got defeated. Gears 2 got 9.5, MGS4 got 10, GTA4 got 10. The path is clear.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

GTA IV was runner up behind MGS4 so, no it wont win GOTY.

As for GEARS 2 winning, it didnt get a 10 on IGN, and resistance 2 has a higher chance of getting GOTY than gears 2, IGN dubbed it as the better game of the two(both recieved a 9.5).

Either way, im pretty sure GOTY will be MGS4, it also won best graphics =)

mM

@Kantor and Leo-J -- In 2006, Final Fantasy XII was IGN's PS2 Game of the Year, but Okami a runner up with Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 Game of the Year wound up as their overall Game of the Year. So, they won't have any problem in giving GTA IV Overall Game of the Year this year. It is possible though that they might name Fallout 3 or Gears of War 2 the 360 Game of the Year. But, I predict that GTA IV will be the overall Game of the Year at IGN.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
@Kantor and Leo-J -- In 2006, Final Fantasy XII was IGN's PS2 Game of the Year, but Okami a runner up with Guitar Hero 2 for PS2 Game of the Year wound up as their overall Game of the Year. So, they won't have any problem in giving GTA IV Overall Game of the Year this year. It is possible though that they might name Fallout 3 or Gears of War 2 the 360 Game of the Year. But, I predict that GTA IV will be the overall Game of the Year at IGN.

What? IGN's GoTY 2006 was Gears of War, and X360 exclusive. This was also their X360 GoTY.

PS2 GoTY was FFXII, like you said.

GH2 and Okami were runners up for PS2 GoTY.

Wait a minute, when did Okami become GoTY?

Okay, that makes no sense whatsoever. But it's a different situation.

Okami was runner up for its console and GoTY winner.

MGS4 is winner for its console and ___.

Okay, scrap that.

I suppose it all boils down to what wins 360 GoTY. If Gears 2 wins, then MGS4 has won GoTY, if GTA4 wins, it has a small chance of taking the overall title.

Still, I think that MGS4 is going to win.

EDIT: AHA! Okami was the overall best Adventure game while GTA4 has no genre victories, being in the same genre as MGS4. Another point for Kojima's masterpiece. The only explanation I can think of for 2006 is that editors not in the Playstation team liked Okami very much, and didn't like FF12 as much. Of course, Okami was exclusive, GTA4 is multiplat. So, if the IGN editors not on the Playstation team liked GTA4 a lot (I don't think they did), then GTA4 has a chance. But if it doesn't win 360 GoTY, it's dead.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

CGI-Quality said:
@ Mirson

And it deserves Story of the Year as well. Since you have to be so negative about the game for whatever reason, what should win Story of the Year?

I think they got it right with GTA IV. Fallout 3 was also great.

leo-j said:
GTA IV was runner up behind MGS4 so, no it wont win GOTY.

As for GEARS 2 winning, it didnt get a 10 on IGN, and resistance 2 has a higher chance of getting GOTY than gears 2, IGN dubbed it as the better game of the two(both recieved a 9.5).

Either way, im pretty sure GOTY will be MGS4, it also won best graphics =)

The review scores for each game reflect the opinion of a single IGN reviewer, not the entire staff. I'd be greatly surprised if GTA4 didn't get the overall GOTY with the votes from the Xbox and Playstation staff.

Pixel Junk Monsters Won For best PSN game =) cool.

MSG4 deserved It.

You know I don't think you can go wrong with either MGS 4, GTA IV, or LBP being game of the year. All are amazing games in their own ways. GTAIV was the highest rated game of the year, so I expect it to win Game of the Year from the most sources.