By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

The PS3 will never overtake the 360. The only way to would happen is if the boys at MS stopped making the console and threw in the towel (so in other words, it will never happen).

The PS3 is an amazing system, but it comes at a hefty entry level price of $400.00. This is just the wrong kind of economy to sell a system for that kind of dough.

The PS3 also can't drop the price anytime soon, because to get the system even $100.00 lower, it would have to drop the Blu-ray function, which of course is impossible because the games are on Blu-ray discs.

The only function they were able to drop to get the price down was PS2 backwards compatibility, and that only got the system down to $400.00. The only way to get the system down cheaper is to make it a loss leader and make their money back on software, but as has been pointed out before, Sony is not in the economic shape to do that.

So, long story short, they are stuck with selling the most expensive system this generation and thus will remain in last place until this generation is over.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Around the Network
Cueil said:
Infamous said:
leo-j said:
ceres said:
leo-j said:
I think we will see the ps3 taking 2nd in 2008.

I'm basically saying the release date of FFXIII.

Yep when FF XIII is released japan sales will probably go up to 100k weekly for the ps3 O_o

So, its going to likely pass 360 next year around mid or late year.

Lol.

he is always making crazy predictions like this... haha but if he didn't then he wouldn't be our 1 and only leo-j

Rofl, I know, but it's amusing it's not just him, some of the comments on those pages are hilarious!

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

The PS3 will overtake the X360 when it does not matter anymore - late 2010.
PS3 will have made a huge loss just to get second place in console war.
The loss on PS3 hardware stands currently at 2 billion dollars and is unlikely that it will be recovered.
Late 2010 the new XBox could arrive - with Halo 4 and Gears of War 3 as launch titles.

numonex said:
The loss on PS3 hardware stands currently at 2 billion dollars and is unlikely that it will be recovered.
Late 2010 the new XBox could arrive - with Halo 4 and Gears of War 3 as launch titles.

I don't think MSFT will release Halo 4 and Gears 3 so close to each other. The two titles will cannibalize each others sales too much.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

superchunk said:
Yeah good point. But, how many games will push Japan over the Halo's in America that we know PS3 will have and Wii won't? I can only think of one, Final Fantasy.

yeh Final Fantasy is one,  its multiplaform in America but exclusive everywhere else to PS3 i believe. I know for sure as long as FF13 versus stays exclusive it can surely sell some consoles.

i can think of another game that will do the same, Gran Turismo 5, each of the games in this series sold at least 10 million copies, and sony makes this game so it will never be ported to xbox. but yeh i still believe the PS3 has enough time to surpass the 360 considering the fact that despite 360 being cheaper, its still barely holding off the ps3. the price drop in spring should help the ps3 gain some extra legs.

Around the Network
FPSrules said:
superchunk said:
Yeah good point. But, how many games will push Japan over the Halo's in America that we know PS3 will have and Wii won't? I can only think of one, Final Fantasy.

yeh Final Fantasy is one, its multiplaform in America but exclusive everywhere else to PS3 i believe. I know for sure as long as FF13 versus stays exclusive it can surely sell some consoles.

i can think of another game that will do the same, Gran Turismo 5, each of the games in this series sold at least 10 million copies, and sony makes this game so it will never be ported to xbox. but yeh i still believe the PS3 has enough time to surpass the 360 considering the fact that despite 360 being cheaper, its still barely holding off the ps3. the price drop in spring should help the ps3 gain some extra legs.

FF XIII is exclusive to Japan only. Europe and Amerika will see a simultaneous release on PS3 and 360.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

FPSrules said:
superchunk said:

its still barely holding off the ps3.

ROFL. Joke post?

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Infamous said:
FPSrules said:
superchunk said:

its still barely holding off the ps3.

ROFL. Joke post?

It always amuzes me when people say things like that. 

I remember in the last gen when they released the original XBOX, after a week of nice XBOX sales, some guys in another forum claimed that MS would catch Sony in PS2 sales... yeah, well, we all know how that went.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

The PS3 will never overtake the 360 this gen. Perhaps following the launch of the 8th gen consoles, but by then there will be another war to wage.

PS3 fanboys are just gonna have to accept the truth. It wont take anything away from the PS3 if its in 2nd or 3rd place so who cares. Just look at the Wii. It has market dominance but the HD consoles are still rocking it. Thats the beauty of the gaming market. Its huge, and with PC games, handhelds, and arcades in the mix, it is far from just being an HD console war.

numonex said:

in case u have forgotten MS lost this gen is around 3-4 billion dollars. and this number doesn't include how much $ they lost on the original xbox which they lost $175 for each console sold. earlier this gen around launch MS was losing about $150 for each console, sony was losing around $200 at the same time. and with the hardware modifications to ps3, sony is no longer losing money since july. But probability gaining just now $ now for the ps3 since blu ray players prices dropped from $300 to $200 and they taking advantage of it to make some $.

im pretty sure MS is losing $ off the acrade sales which are currently the model that sells the most. considering the fact nintendo only makes $6 dollars off each wii sold, and its a lot smaller, with cheaper graphic cards, and a outdated processor, MS has to be losing money off the acrade in a desperate attempt to hold 2nd.

but your right, if ps3 doesnt do some serious damage before 2010, it could be too late