By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Good lord, Gamespy is one bitter bunch of people.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

With all the discussions of "Biased Sites" lately I have created a listing of 10 popular reviewers using the site stats from gamerankings.com ( http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/sites.asp ).

The chart displays the sites average difference (from the average review score) for each platform minus the sites average difference for all platforms (from the average review score).

Site

Xbox 360PS3Wii
GameSpot0.50%1.90%-0.30%
IGN-0.60%0.00%-0.30%
GameSpy-5.30%-6.00%-5.50%
GamePro-0.90%-1.60%-2.90%
GameZone-1.80%-0.40%-0.30%
EGM-1.40%-1.10%-2.80%
1UP0.60%-0.10%-5.30%
Eurogamer-0.50%0.10%-1.30%
Play Magazine2.00%1.40%-3.00%
Gaming Age0.70%-2.40%0.90%
Average:-0.67%-0.82%-2.08

When you selectively pick out sites for their anti-Nintendo bias, and those sites tend to be well respected for the most part, what does that say about the sites that display a pro-Nintendo bias in their review scores?

Why don't you make a similar list of the 10 review sites with the highest Nintendo review scores?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Ha, I always thought IGN were the most honest of reviewers. I've heard people here saying it's a site for 13 year olds and I never understood that. I know they have their own people for each system and I've heard people argue that they are biased like that, but all I've see from that is that their even more honest.

They prefer the system they play so if they come across something they don't think is good for it, they say it.

Well, I agree with Matt of IGN Wii a lot except that I hate the god damn comparision of Wii's graphic's against the 360/ps3... WE KNOW IT'S NOT AS POWERFUL DO YOU HAVE TO SAY IT IN EVER REVIEW?!?!?!

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers
Androo said:
Well, I agree with Matt of IGN Wii a lot except that I hate the god damn comparision of Wii's graphic's against the 360/ps3... WE KNOW IT'S NOT AS POWERFUL DO YOU HAVE TO SAY IT IN EVER REVIEW?!?!?!

He keeps comparing because it's part of the review.  If the game is multiplatform, it's almost obligatory for him to state the obvious.  Then in comparison, if it's not a multiplatform game, he has to state that so we know he is reviewing wii graphics in terms of wii graphics.  I think it's part of what keeps his reviews so honest. You know after seeing graphics of what ps3/360 can do, wii graphics may seem so much less, and he reminds us and himself so he doesn't write off all wii game graphics that may actually be good and pushing the wii to the limit.

I also like IGN reviews because they don't just average there scores i.e. sound, gameplay, replay value, etc.  They put the score they think fits the game.  Sure stuff like gameplay and sound scores play a role in the overall score, but they don't get lazy and just average it out.  They understand that a game with weak music or graphics can be made up for in incredible gameplay or story.

I think IGN reviews deserve more respect then some people are willing to give them.

Around the Network
sinha said:
HappySqurriel said:

With all the discussions of "Biased Sites" lately I have created a listing of 10 popular reviewers using the site stats from gamerankings.com ( http://gamerankings.com/itemrankings/sites.asp ).

The chart displays the sites average difference (from the average review score) for each platform minus the sites average difference for all platforms (from the average review score).

Site

Xbox 360PS3Wii
GameSpot0.50%1.90%-0.30%
IGN-0.60%0.00%-0.30%
GameSpy-5.30%-6.00%-5.50%
GamePro-0.90%-1.60%-2.90%
GameZone-1.80%-0.40%-0.30%
EGM-1.40%-1.10%-2.80%
1UP0.60%-0.10%-5.30%
Eurogamer-0.50%0.10%-1.30%
Play Magazine2.00%1.40%-3.00%
Gaming Age0.70%-2.40%0.90%
Average:-0.67%-0.82%-2.08

When you selectively pick out sites for their anti-Nintendo bias, and those sites tend to be well respected for the most part, what does that say about the sites that display a pro-Nintendo bias in their review scores?

Why don't you make a similar list of the 10 review sites with the highest Nintendo review scores?

I don't think those sites have been picked for their anti-Nintendo bias, I think they're simply a selection of the larger and more popular game review sites.

Most of these sites don't come off as substantially biased at all. They'll just tend to judge games a little harsher or easier than other reviewers. Gamespy judges games much harsher than other reviewers, but the spread of <1% between different platforms shows that they aren't really biased. A spread of 2-3% is pretty reasonable.

The sites which obviously are biased are 1up and Play Magazine, with 5.9% and 5% spreads, respectively.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

diamuerto said:
Androo said:

He keeps comparing because it's part of the review.  If the game is multiplatform, it's almost obligatory for him to state the obvious.  Then in comparison, if it's not a multiplatform game, he has to state that so we know he is reviewing wii graphics in terms of wii graphics.  I think it's part of what keeps his reviews so honest. You know after seeing graphics of what ps3/360 can do, wii graphics may seem so much less, and he reminds us and himself so he doesn't write off all wii game graphics that may actually be good and pushing the wii to the limit.

I also like IGN reviews because they don't just average there scores i.e. sound, gameplay, replay value, etc.  They put the score they think fits the game.  Sure stuff like gameplay and sound scores play a role in the overall score, but they don't get lazy and just average it out.  They understand that a game with weak music or graphics can be made up for in incredible gameplay or story.

I think IGN reviews deserve more respect then some people are willing to give them.

If they do it in multiplatform games fine but not in exclusive games. That's the only thing I dont like. On the other hand IGN has by far the most honest and unbiased Wii reviews of any professional site.

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers

Did you even read what I said about exlusive games Androo??

ItsaMii said:
We can not really expect much from 1up. Look at this asshole blog:

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5519593&pager.offset=0

Half of his posts are about how much Nintendo sucks. No one could really expect fair reviews from a site where they have guys like him. Try reading "The two worst console launches ever" and "How to develop for the Nintendo Wii" (the worst crap I have ever read). Try to read it and not puke.

The appeal of Wii Sports doesn't extend too far beyond drinking games at a friends' house

The DS's success is due to Nintendo's consistent dominance in the handheld sphere, not because of its inclusion of the touch screen. New Super Mario Bros. isn't successful because it has two screens -- it's successful because it's a new Mario game. It's not innovative, it doesn't make you say "wow" at its unique incorporation of the DS's added functionality -- it's a new Mario game (and one that is wildly inferior to Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World.

it might sound like work, but people sit around and slobber all over Phoenix Wright and that game is little more than a 30-hour Encyclopedia Brown book without a back section to flip to and see the ending.

Well beutiful he is attacking every Nintendo Hardware, always fun to know what site I shouldn't read anything from.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

If some people here don't like 1UP then DON'T READ IT, but please stop whining about it, it's getting old.  If you (any person in this thread whining about a website) think everyone should have the same opinions as you then here's a clue, not everyone likes the same things or has the same opinions otherwise we'd all be playing the same games and own the same consoles.  Get over it, move on, because some of us actually read the sites you're whining about and trust their reviews far more than some of the outrageous sites that are inflating some of the Wii scores on GameRankings.