By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - STAR WARS 4-6 or Lord of the rings trilogy?

Lord of the Rings!

Because.. I love Lord of the Rings and I never got into Star Wars. I also prefer the setting more.

Around the Network
VonShigsy said:
megaman2 said:

which out of the two is the greatest trilogy and why?

My personal pick is Lord of the rings I love these movies, I watch it every December of the year its a tradition that been going for 2 years now lol!

And why do people hate star wars 1-3 as to 4-6 I love them both, but I dont really have high expectation I enjoy anything good and I though 1-3 was better than 4-6!

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Yeah, Lotr, more epic, less cheezy and wasn't tarnished by prequels.

"Impressive. Most impressive."

Find me one scene in LOTR that can eclipse this one:

Darth Vader: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you.
[pauses]

Darth Vader: Luke, you do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover your power. Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.

Luke: I'll never join you!

Darth Vader: If you only knew the power of the Dark Side. Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father.

Luke: He told me enough! He told me *you* killed him!

Darth Vader: No. *I* am your father.

Luke: No. No. That's not true. That's impossible!

Darth Vader: Search your feelings, you *know* it to be true!

Luke: [anguished] No! No!

/end thread.

rocketpig said:
Star Wars, without a doubt in the world. Lucas created modern mythology (and did a damned fine job of it in IV & V), while Jackson adapted Tolkein's modern mythology.

Star Wars was new, fresh, exciting, and bloody brilliant, just as Tolkein's work was when it published.

I'll take something original over an adaptation. Especially something as incredible as Star Wars. If you were to compare the LotR books to Star Wars, on the other hand...

Basically my reasoning.

Though i'd take Star Wars over the LotR books as well... really influential... but they spend way to much time on descriptors.  Not a fan of the "Lets pretend the person who's reading this has zero imagination about anything" style of writing.

rocketpig said:
Cougarman said:
i love them both, but i have some great memories of Star wars, watching it with my father and him trying to explain the story to me, it was good times, LOTR is probably the better trilogy but my heart belongs to star wars.

That's because those movies, especially Episode IV, had real heart to them. It's hard to watch those movies without smiling. There's a "realness" to them that can't really be described. They're meant to be loads of fun, they changed the way movies are made, and you could tell there was a genuine effort behind the movies to create something special.

I love the LotR movies and think they're excellent examples of how to make a good blockbuster movie, but they lack that certain charm found in the original Star Wars trilogy (minus the Ewoks, that's where Lucas ended his run of fun mixed with intelligent filmmaking).

Yeah... that's my only complaints... watching the ewoks pierce stormtrooper armor.... with arrows that are sharpened sticks...

I mean... these things can take plasma whatever blasts... but not sticks?  What was the Armor made by the Green Lantern?

Around the Network

"When you last left me, I was but the burden. Now I am the master."

"Only a master of evil, Darth"

Name one moment in LOTR that's one hundredth as cool as that. Wait. You can't. Star Wars wins!

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Kasz216 said:
rocketpig said:
Cougarman said:
i love them both, but i have some great memories of Star wars, watching it with my father and him trying to explain the story to me, it was good times, LOTR is probably the better trilogy but my heart belongs to star wars.

That's because those movies, especially Episode IV, had real heart to them. It's hard to watch those movies without smiling. There's a "realness" to them that can't really be described. They're meant to be loads of fun, they changed the way movies are made, and you could tell there was a genuine effort behind the movies to create something special.

I love the LotR movies and think they're excellent examples of how to make a good blockbuster movie, but they lack that certain charm found in the original Star Wars trilogy (minus the Ewoks, that's where Lucas ended his run of fun mixed with intelligent filmmaking).

Yeah... that's my only complaints... watching the ewoks pierce stormtrooper armor.... with arrows that are sharpened sticks...

I mean... these things can take plasma whatever blasts... but not sticks?  What was the Armor made by the Green Lantern?

ROFL... Old school Green Lantern reference... Nice. What kind of weakness is that, anyway? Wood? C'mon...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/