By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean 4 and Final Fantasy XIII: Graphical Comparison (56k?)

Well, for a long time I just thought Finla Fantasy 13 looked like the best thing I've ever seen, and now, I'm not so sure. Granted, we have no comfirmed gameplay for FF13, but we'll use what we have.

Star Ocean 4

Character Models, most likely ingame based on what we've seen: 

And  this is the best looking in comparison imo, also showing insane detail for enemies as well as characters. Amazing. Lighting for the above images seems impecable.

Backgrounds

Alright, check out the trees for this one. Those...are virtual right? They look real...are we playing Crysis?

We've used this one already, but as you could imagine, screens are a bit hard to find. Takes a look at the spaceship.

This may not be a high res shot, but it doesn't make this Mobius Island look alike any less fine.

We'll do CG in a moment, but since the same company does the CG for both games, it'd be kind of pointless to give the ballet to either on right now.

Final Fantasy 13 

Character Models:

Smoking. Honestly, they are a bit old, we don't know how much better they may be at this point, but still fantastic.

First things first, look at how many enemies can on screen at any one time, even with the huge amount of detail. 

This is more recent, and it shows. Characters look cleaner and smooth.

:)

Backgrounds, well, use the above images so I don't have to hotlink anymore :/

Amounts of detail that eclipse nearly all of its competition. Stunning is an understatement. The futuristic look is rendered very well.

Alright, so what do you guys think? Star Ocean of FFXIII looks better? For my part, SO because I'm more bias to the SO series, but I also think it looks much much better. 

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

I had no idea SO4 looked that good. That third screen... D:

From what's on display here, Star Ocean. Definately.
But I think FF will end up looking better.

Aren't all those SO4 screens CGI...

Universally they look so good that it's hard to tell which is better, but I agree with you shadowblind ,SO does look better, just not by much though.

Hard to say. FF13 may look better from a technical standpoint once its finished, but Star Ocean's aesthetics appeal more to me.

Around the Network

That second SO4 screen almost made me cry... I just can't stand the cutesy character design.

Wow, I am very impressed. I didn't think SO4 looked that good. However, I still think Final Fantasy XIII has the graphical edge. Can't wait to play both those games ^_^

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

I'm pretty sure that those SO 4 shots are CGI

Why dont you compare it to Versus XIII ;P

mM

i like ff13 better...