By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1up Boogie review, its not pretty.

ckmlb said:

Really?

This is a fabrication of Wii fans.

Good Wii games get good reviews from 1up, bad ones such as this get bad reviews.

To quote cklmb, "Have you played the game to know..."?

Please, don't accept reviews as gospel if you like them.

That said, I'm betting this is in fact a mediocre game. But rhen, the music genre isn't a favorite of mine.   

Around the Network

@Legend. Actually, and correct me if I am wrong, Lair reviews were mixed in what they said about the game.

When you compare Gamepro and 1up, you see that both complain/praise the same things, but the scores given are different 8/10 vs 3/10.

Just read both reviews - the difference in scores seems completely subjective. You like it - with the flaws - 8. You hate it - with the flaws - 3.

Ahh well, such are reviewers.

(note - that game does sound sort-of crap though ;) .. was wondering how deep the moves are, and how good the kareoke / detection is... and lack of online hurts it as well).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@shams,

Thats what I have been trying to say. THAT is what happens with a lot of Wii games. Same complaints/praises, but different scores.

With Lair, and I am waiting for someone to correct me if I am wrong, the complaints/praises were different, and in line with the score given.

It depends on who's doing the review but I've seen several 1up Wii game reviews that just hate on the controls and say they don't work when from personal experience they work perfectly and add to the game which is nowhere near as bad as claimed.

Around the Network

3/10? Ouch.

Wiimote-intensive games have generally gotten very mixed reviews. I think that's fair to say, without calling "Wii bias" on specific sites. (I'm sure I've heard IGN, Gamespot and 1up all accused of being biased against each of the three next gen systems.)

Elebits, Cooking Mama, Wii Play, SSX Wii (which is the last game from the studio which did Boogie, IIRC). I'm not going to look up the numbers, but to my recollection all of these got very mixed reviews. Don't recall any 3/10s, though.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

ckmlb said:
shams said:

Guys, lets wait for a bunch of reviews to hit first. We know a bunch of sites traditionally "hard-mark" Wii titles - especially Wiimote heavy ones.

Show me proof of this.

1UP:

Scarface - 6.3 (its a 8.0 IMO)

Strikers - 7.5 (its a 8.5 IMO) 

Pokemon - 4.5 (its about a 6.0) 

The Bigs - 5.5 (closer to a 7.0)

RE4 - 8.0 (WTF?)

MP8 - 5.5 (7.5 IMO)

SSX Blur - 5.5 (WTF???? Closer to an 8.0)

Sonic - 7.5 (got this completely wrong, closer to a 6.0)

Heatseeker - 4.0 (very harsh)

...should I go on?

Just pick any game, and compare the "gamers score" to the editors score. Or try comparing to the IGN scores. How can you possibly say they are nice to Wii titles? RE4 - 8.0???

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Legend11 said:
twesterm said:

As for that quote, just so people don't get confused, I was mocking that thread and the fact this one would turn into that except people didn't already have high hopes for Boogie (though I'll still more than likely at least give it a rent).

Heh, the sad part is that it's actually happening in this thread. I remember Wii fans giving PS3 fans a really hard time over Lair and the way they were acting about that review and now it seems like the same thing is happening with Boogie. Fans of all consoles are more alike than they would ever admit to or even realize.

I agree!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
twesterm said:
It's obviously biased. Lamers want some attention. Nothing more. Controls are fine. I would prefer classic but this are pretty fair and accurate.

Do you know someone that worked on it? I've noticed whenever someone puts down EA you usually defend the people working there. Actually I have to ask, are you an EA employee or worked for them in the past? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure you mentioned before that you're in game development and I remember you mentioning one time about game developers in the building you're in that have worked on or are currently working on Wii games.

Whoops, completely missed the second part (dead tired-- been getting dicked around by the mechanic all day). I do defend them a bit because I know and appreciate the incredible amount of work they put into every one of the EA Sports and I defend them because they aren't as bad and not varied (not sure how else to say that) as people make the games out to be.

And yeah, I didn't expect Wii fans to gather behind this game especially since most of the gaming population (even Wii fans) laughed at how bad the game would be when this video was released (though I still liked it-- it made me laugh).

shams said:
ckmlb said:
shams said:

Guys, lets wait for a bunch of reviews to hit first. We know a bunch of sites traditionally "hard-mark" Wii titles - especially Wiimote heavy ones.

Show me proof of this.

1UP:

Scarface - 6.3 7.0

Strikers - 7.5 7.95

Pokemon - 4.5 5.73

The Bigs - 5.5 6.8

RE4 - 8.0 9.1

MP8 - 5.5 6.42

SSX Blur - 5.5 7.4

Sonic - 7.5 7.1

Heatseeker - 4.0 6.3

I added the GameRankings averages in bold.

Edit: Anybody want to do this for more games? I'm lazy.