By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Washington Times: Sony doing all in its power to “hinder” PS3

What!? is this guiy mentally handicap or something? that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard, droping the PS3 in 09 and coming out with a PS2.75??????(that's what it sounds like, no blu-ray??) This man obviously doesn't know anything about the Playstation 3.

Sony said they'll start making money in 2009, why would they abandon the console as soon as it starts making money, makes no sense?

Around the Network

Also, we are in a time where Entertainment tends to sell very well, now we go and take the two entertainment options Sony has that are not ridiculously out of price range (people still buy plenty), dump them entirely, their fanbase loses faith.

So the two options that can possibly help them out during this economic time are the two they are going to cut?

$2000 TV's are going to lead them to the promised land now? We all know damn well a PS4 won't, especially if they dropped the PS3 after 2 1/2-y years.

They will stay the course, simple as that.

Just look at it this way, who will buy a downgraded PS3? Honestly?

Sony would drop the PS3 like a bad habit, 3rd party dev studios now lose money from PS3 projects they are currently working on.

Anyone think they will just jump on a PS4?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

what the F is wrong with sony, i thought the Japanese are the smartest race.

Where can I get a job like this guy?

I can write much better bullshit.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Look I have been a Nintendo fan since the late 1980's, and I dont care much for the sony PS3. But hearing all this doom and gloom is kind of a stretch. Sony is not going anywhere for a while and the PS3 will still be here in 2009. It sounds like everyone is saying that it is the end of the line for the PS3 should just stop. They can still compete and I am sure that they will be around for a long time. The playstation brand is still strong, maybe they will be third this generation but they can still suceed.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
I feel like we've gone back in time.

Does anyone else get the eeriest form of Deja Vu from like eighteen months ago?

PS3 getting another book about it's doom?

Currently playing:

GianCarmen said:
Look I have been a Nintendo fan since the late 1980's, and I dont care much for the sony PS3. But hearing all this doom and gloom is kind of a stretch. Sony is not going anywhere for a while and the PS3 will still be here in 2009. It sounds like everyone is saying that it is the end of the line for the PS3 should just stop. They can still compete and I am sure that they will be around for a long time. The playstation brand is still strong, maybe they will be third this generation but they can still suceed.

You are completely right.

Like last year, the Holiday season looked much different, Sony then went on to win like 30 something weeks in a row WW and people were still saying 360 will rebound.

Now 360 takes the momentum, yet they do not see the PS3 being able to do the same thing. I don't get it.

Currently playing:

kungfusqurrel said:
what the F is wrong with sony, i thought the Japanese are the smartest race.

how does one get away with saying stuff like this?

Euphoria14 said:
GianCarmen said:

You are completely right.

Like last year, the Holiday season looked much different, Sony then went on to win like 30 something weeks in a row WW and people were still saying 360 will rebound.

Now 360 takes the momentum, yet they do not see the PS3 being able to do the same thing. I don't get it.

I would agree with you if the situation as a whole looked better for SCE and Sony... But as it stands, the whole situation is against Sony.

1- An unfavorable economy hurting Sony's biggest business (electronics).

2- The PSP and PS2 dropping in sales and therefore not subsidizing the PS3 as much as before.

3- Unfavorable exchange rates (weak dollar/euro) making it very hard to drop prices in the biggest markets. They can hope for some help from the Japanese central bank here as the same situation affects a lot of other Japanese companies, but will it be enough in the short/medium term?

I just don't see many likely scenarios where Sony can effectively fight the tide. A big part of it is luck and external factors now. Honestly Sony is in big trouble for the foreseeable future.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

GianCarmen said:

bingo

People said the same thing about Nintendo last gen and look where they are now. The problem for Sony is after two years on the market, the PS3 is still more than the Xbox 360 was at lauch. When you add in the fact that the $200 360 will do 90% of the things the PS3 can and has (arguably) a better gaming experience, I'm frankly amazed the PS3 is selling 400000 units/week in this economy. Next gen, they will have learned their lesson, PSN/Home will have caught up (or nearly caught up) to XBL, and they won't have Kutaragi's ghost haunting them every step of the way. I doubt they'll be in first place next gen, but they'll have a hell of a better time of it than this gen.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it