By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PS1/PS2 sucked and why the Wii rules. (Analogue sticks)

Plus, it was Ninty who invented the analogue sticks.

Around the Network

Wow, wow, wow. I got used to analog sticks within the first 30 minutes of using them. Hell I got used to the N64 controller in no more than 15 minutes and that had to be the worst controller ever.

My 8 year old can play my 360 just fine and his hands barely fit the controller. Whatever assisted home you live in I would ask one of the nurses to help you out with getting the hang of these "baffling controls".

Well I just read your sig and now I know why.

Can't say that I had trouble learning to use a thumbstick. I have always hated Sony's thumbstick design, though. Microsoft and Nintendo's designs seem far more precise and comfortable.

My sister, on the other hand, has a helluva time using a thumbstick. She grew up with joysticks and D-pads, but never had much exposure to thumbsticks. Watching her try to navigate in Okami or de Blob makes me wince, sometimes.

And you're right. One of Wii Sports' functions is to be a wiimote tutorial.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

PS1 games >> PS2 games >>>>> Wii games

guess which console sucks the most ...

(u used "suck"in first, not me)

Wii may have nice control but if u are looking for SC/SF/RE/GT/FF ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

okay it takes 1000 hours if your garbage at FPS. If your any good it doesn't take long.

Wow, 1000 hours to learn analog sticks? I really hope you don't operate any kind of machinery.. or drive a car.

Wii sales about to die confirmed?

haxxiy said:
Plus, it was Ninty who invented the analogue sticks.

Vectrex control pad

Many, if not most, 1970s video game consoles featured an analog joystick, see under, the VC 4000 (1978) for more info. In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick[2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

For many years, consoles ignored analog technology, instead using the digital D-pad. It wasn't until the emergence of 3D gameplay that the analog stick was brought back for widespread use.

In 1995, Sony (realizing that analog technology could be useful) created a potentiometer-based analog joystick for use in Flight-Simulation games. The Sony Dual Analog FlightStick featured twin analog sticks and was used in games such as "Descent" to provide a much greater degree of freedom than the typical digital joysticks of the day.

In 1996 Nintendo introduced a thumb-operated control stick on their Nintendo 64 controller. While it was still a digital stick, not an analog one,[1], (one that operated on the same principles as a mechanical computer mouse), the Nintendo 64's Control stick still allowed for a great deal of varying levels of pressure and near-360-degree control, translating into far more precise movements than was possible with a D-pad. (Incidentally, the later port of Super Mario 64 to the d-pad-only Nintendo DS portable system in Super Mario 64 DS was criticized by some for imprecise control due to lack of an analog stick on the Nintendo DS.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_controller

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick

Squilliam said:

Its taken me 3 generations to get comfortable with the analogue sticks and the switch to 3d on consoles. So over 10 years of gaming and probably thousands of hours of play time for me to feel as at home playing on the systems.

If you don't like reading heres the short version.

Analogue stick learning curve -> 1000 hours

Wiimote learning curve -> 5 minutes.

PS1

"I wanted to be pointed THAT way, not the other way" D-Pad for 3d movement = not the best.

"WTF do I do with all these buttons, its confusing!!!"

"Why is this stick so wierd? It doesn't track movement precisely, thank god for auto aim"

PS2

"Hold down L2 and then press X whilst pulling away from the enemy with the left... WTF???" Devil may cry, im looking at you. Just one example of a game I never finished, there were many more.

"Stay on target, stay on target!!! Well I got him in the shoulder at least" Why are the sticks so slow? Horrible framerate??? But at least an improvement over the PS1.

PS3

"Got it now" Only took 3 generations of playing the consoles and improvements in the controls for me to finally be able to use them. But to be quite frank, had I not been trying since the PS1 days I would have never bothered with the current generation, too confusing I guess. Now controls have improved on the developer/console side, but it was a long slow journey.

Wii

"Press the A+B buttons to begin" - Shows the location of the two buttons on screen with a picture. "Ahh" Easy...

God I just remembered how much I hated the "f888ing sticks!" You had to play consoles for a while or you never really got used to the controls at all, I was always hopeful and always disapointed that whenever I tried to play the games they were just too confusing or too difficult to get the hang of. Quite frankly it was annoying knowing I was fighting the controller more than the game, the game itself was easy and I knew it. Its just getting my inputs into it that were hard.

The Wii is definately not intimidating, I bet Nintendo throws in Wii sports as an essential introduction so that if you've never gamed before you only have to learn one thing at a time. First learn the Wiimote, check! Best game for that? Wii Tennis. The number of times you have to click with it is annoying, they must have known how annoying it was, but they did it to train people how to use the pointer. Its the same deal with the "ready" screen, getting people used to pressing the A/B buttons and remembering their locations.

I would only agree with you if the wii was one to one, or offered motions that made sense for each motion and not guessing what motion they felt like doing different things should represent.  with the ps3, and 360 I have a smooth motion, that i can control without having to make guesses to as how to wave a stick around. sorry, I have used both and i find the wii at this point in time lacking... Id rather play with an SNES pad or if the could adapt it, the virtualboy pad wich has a similar layout to the ps1 pads just daps and not analog sticks. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog