By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CNN Money-The PS3 is a Sinking Ship

naraku2099 said:
Press_the_Button said:
The CNN article is spot on in all 3 points really.

It's increasingly my view that Sony should discontinue the PS3 and refocus this gen on the PSP (only because the handheld is at least half way successful and probably profitable per hardware unit sold too).

Then they can buy themselves time to learn lessons from the PS3 disaster, stop the massive losses in the console business and if they are so inclined, launch a PS4 that actually has a chance at being profitable and successful in the same way as the PS2 was.

I doubt Sony will discontinue a system that has already sold nearly 18 million units. Also, stop calling PS3 a disaster. It's not a disaster. It's a system you dislike. That doesn't make it a disaster, failure, mistake or anything else you might negatively claim. I dislike Wii, and I think it fails to interest me alot, but I don't ever call it crap.

Disaster financially. Sony has lost tons of money on this system when it needed major profits in the gaming sector to balance out the losses from the electronics division. Face it, the company is in true financial peril: its bond rating has decreased, meaning it has to pay more for loans that will be harder to get, it has to sell its own bonds and hopes that this can raise them some money, it has had to lay off 16k from the electronics division and is in the process of evaluating every department for ways to make profit, even at the expense of research or market share. How is this not an unmitigated disaster?

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network
Infamous said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:
Didn't we do this song and dance at the end of last year also, only to see the PS3 recover nicely early this year. I see the same thing happening in early 2009. A price cut, some good games, continued BR momentum and it will be fine.

Sorry stickball, you wishing the PS3 dead won't make it so.

This guy loses all credibility with his point #2 BTW. Blu-ray players and movies have been the hottest electronics items this christmas.

....Except for video games, you mean.

Exactly rofl, and what is the article about? A video game system.

I guess you failed at reading comprehension.  Go read the original post before you look even more foolish.

The real question I have is if it was this bad when the PS3 was outselling the 360. The trolling is horrendous, we even have a moderator comparing the PS3 to the Dreamcast and Saturn (make up your mind, I guess the Dreamcast is a slightly more insulting analogy).

People are calling for the PS3's doom and Sony's doom and it's all hilariously exaggerated. The PS3 is still selling millions of units of software every week, with consistent hardware sales and a busy release list. Maybe it's not doing as well as the Wii or 360, but it will be a player for the rest of this generation.

I suppose none of this is very surprising, since a lot of people were calling for the 360's doom even when it was only being beaten by a small amount by the PS3 every week. Maybe in 2009, people will learn to calm down.

~flame said:
patrice1970 said:

first CNN have always right, they never critized engagment in Irak

try to spell iraq next time.

lol

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

whatever said:
Infamous said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:
Didn't we do this song and dance at the end of last year also, only to see the PS3 recover nicely early this year. I see the same thing happening in early 2009. A price cut, some good games, continued BR momentum and it will be fine.

This guy loses all credibility with his point #2 BTW. Blu-ray players and movies have been the hottest electronics items this christmas.

I guess you failed at reading comprehension.  Go read the original post before you look even more foolish.

Actually, you fail at posting, because Blu-ray players and movies are NOT the hottest electronic items this christmas. Rofl, denial?

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:

... and DVD players.

This article just backs up what I said.  According to this 25% of DVD player sales were BR players.  That's pretty amazing considering the prices of standard DVD players.

whatever said:
NJ5 said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:

... and DVD players.

This article just backs up what I said.  According to this 25% of DVD player sales were BR players.  That's pretty amazing considering the prices of standard DVD players.

Well, you said "the hottest electronic items" which could lead some people to believe they outsold things such as DVD players. I was just pointing out it's not the case (assuming Black Friday sales are representative of holiday sales in general).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
whatever said:
NJ5 said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:

... and DVD players.

Well, you said "the hottest electronic items" which could lead some people to believe they outsold things such as DVD players. I was just pointing out it's not the case (assuming Black Friday sales are representative of holiday sales in general).

Exactly.

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

MontanaHatchet said:
The real question I have is if it was this bad when the PS3 was outselling the 360. The trolling is horrendous, we even have a moderator comparing the PS3 to the Dreamcast and Saturn (make up your mind, I guess the Dreamcast is a slightly more insulting analogy).

People are calling for the PS3's doom and Sony's doom and it's all hilariously exaggerated. The PS3 is still selling millions of units of software every week, with consistent hardware sales and a busy release list. Maybe it's not doing as well as the Wii or 360, but it will be a player for the rest of this generation.

I suppose none of this is very surprising, since a lot of people were calling for the 360's doom even when it was only being beaten by a small amount by the PS3 every week. Maybe in 2009, people will learn to calm down.

Yes, even when the PS3 was beating the xbox360 it was that bad. Sony was still in bad shape, what has happened since then has only made it worse. The economic crisis makes it significantly harder for sony to recover. How is this exaggerated. Sony has been posting losses in its major divisions, with the ecnomic trouble its harder to get loans in the first place, they have been DOWNGRADED as a company, the list goes on and on for Sony.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Infamous said:
whatever said:
Infamous said:
Khuutra said:
whatever said:

Actually, you fail at posting, because Blu-ray players and movies are NOT the hottest electronic items this christmas. Rofl, denial?

Fine, I should have said one of the hottest.

That's still not as ridulous as your statment "Exactly rofl, and what is the article about? A video game system."  when the articles 2nd point was:

"The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50"."

which is what I was responding too.  He points to an article in May to prove his point, which is ridiculous since BR players and movies have been selling extremely well this holiday season.

Didn't think I really needed to spell everything out so literally for you, but I guess I was wrong.