By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Figures Bring Out the PS3 Hate

If Sony makes a lot of mistakes, they aren´t the guilty ones, ooooh not, the ones we must prosecute in hordes are the writers, and anyone who puts points on place.

¿Where is the Gran Turismo 5 complet edition?

Killzone 2 and Gears of War where announced the same E3 2005, GeoW has a second release, ¿where is Killzone 2?

Sony Lost very high level titles like monster Hunter 3, Dragon Quest X, Battle Arena Toshinden, House of the dead series, Bleach, and now are only for WII, ¿why Sony priority aren´t the games?

Around the Network
Groucho said:
dhummel said:
Groucho said:

The GameCube was my fav console of the last gen. Sure I liked the PS2's software library way better. The the GameCube hardware (and controller) was much more pleasing to use.

Its kinda the same way for me this gen. I like using the PS3 the most... but I still think my PS2's software library is the best lol.

In any case, in the "highly improbable" case that Sony is making money on the $400 PS3s (remember they are a brand new hardware revision since august or so, with all 65nm components), I think a lot of these "bad business" articles may look pretty stupid, come the next financial quarter. MS's games division may appear to be bleeding profusely compared to Sony's -- and stockholders buying Sony stock (after recent economic events) is *exactly* what Sony needs right now.

Its no wonder they haven't made any price cuts. If they did -- they would gain marketshare over the holidays, only to have their stock plummet to new lows come next quarter. That would suck for anyone who wants their PS3 to have a decent library someday. Sony has two options right now:

(A) Gain some marketshare in the short-term, and fall off a financial cliff in the near future.
or
(B) Lose some marketshare in the short-term, be financially stable for the near future, during rough economic times when stockholders are exceptionally "nervous".

They've chosen (B), and I agree completely with that choice.  MS has the same options, really -- except they chose (A), because MS has a stable enough foundation to not be totally screwed by some games division losses next Q.

Are you the same person I talked to last week? This argument is so pathetic. I have never seen people so desperate as to claim a company actually wants their marketshare to shrink. Its like the Sony execs gather in a room and someone stands up and says, "I have bad news everyone, we actually sold 370k consoles in November." The room bursts into rage, "G%d &*(^it! Who the ^&%$ is buying our console?!?! We don't want market share! If only we could find a way to sell negative amounts of PS3s!!!"

While this is a dramatization, this is what I see in your argument. It is simplistic rationalization. You think these articles spamming the net now don;t make stockholders "nervous"? Ugh, its useless to reason with diehard Sonyphiles.

Sony doesn't want their marketshare to shrink.  Where did I say that?  They want to be in the black.  They've said that countless times recently.

I'm not "arguing" anything.  You're making an issue out of nothing.  I'm merely stating that Sony probably made this decision to live up to their "in the black" promises to stockholders.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a price cut, while it would gain them marketshare, would not put them in the black.

Given their situation, Sony is doing fine.  If you disagree, try to come up with some reasoning, instead of spouting hatred and BS.  Logic works so much better.

Since you've got it all figured out... what would you do, in Sony's shoes?  How about if you were MS?

I would have chosen exactly what they both have done.  Neither company has made any sort of grievous error, and I'll maintain that, no matter their next quarter financials look like -- because I strongly suspect that I'm correct.

So much time and effort would be saved if you would be clear and concise. You explictly stated that Sony chose your option (B) which, if you don't want to scroll up and read it states:

"Lose some marketshare in the short-term, be financially stable for the near future, during rough economic times when stockholders are exceptionally "nervous"."

So to answer your question of "Where did I say that?", well, there.

You then state that MS has chosen your option A, which states:

"Gain some marketshare in the short-term, and fall off a financial cliff in the near future."

I bolded the ending phrase because then your most recent post you state that:

"I would have chosen exactly what they both have done."

Really? Your option that places MS as falling off of a financial cliff is the course you would have taken as well? Glad to hear it, but that makes absolutely no sense. You are arguing because you are placing value judgments in the 2 outcomes you mention each company has taken, believing MS's plan will lead them to ruin (though you again contradict yourself in your most recent post) and that Sony has chosen the wiser path for their company, which again is a path that begins with the strategy to "lose some market share," which is where my earlier post focused on. I will not repeat the points in that post, except to say that losing marketshare has never looked good for investors (another point of mine you failed to adddress).

Sony is not doing "fine" becuase they are hemorraging money as a company and losing market share in their gaming division. You're telling me that I'm spouting BS? Laughable. There is no notable analyst and no notable stock holder or investor coming to Sony's defense. I think the onus is on you to show how the current downturn in market share, the job layoffs, and crappy sales of well-received PS3 exclusives have been fitting into Sony's grander scheme. I look foward to that entartaining read.

Honestly, if I was Sony I would pack it up and reload for gen 8 if substantial gains are not made after KZ2's release. Another option thrown around in here has been for Sony to sell off some of their more premium studios for liquidity to fund an immediate price cut. Being a PS3 owner I don't want to say this, but the way things are going I question the viability of the PS brand in the home console market if Sony goes belly up from the PS3. Let the Wii generation pass and start on equal footing next round. On the opposite end I would do what Microsoft has done and I do not subscribe to your claim that they will fall off of a financial cliff.

Honestly, I wouldn't have had to type any of this if you would think things through for yourself. I'm sure you're smart enough.

dhummel: "I have never seen people so desperate as to claim a company actually wants their marketshare to shrink"

groucho: "Sony has two options right now: ... (B) Lose some marketshare in the short-term, be financially stable for the near future, during rough economic times when stockholders are exceptionally "nervous"."

dhummel: "So to answer your question of "Where did I say that?", well, there."

I'm guessing, at this point, that English is not your 1st language... that, or you are a major cherry picker.  I never said that Sony wanted to lose marketshare.  I stated that they choose to lose it, for other gains.  Do you choose to pay bills, taxes, take out the garbage,  etc. because you want to, or because you have to?  Understanding English might be an important component here, so if its not your 1st language, I guess I understand, and I can't really call you out for cherry picking in that case.

groucho: "I would have chosen exactly what they both have done."

dhummel: "Really? Your option that places MS as falling off of a financial cliff is the course you would have taken as well? Glad to hear it, but that makes absolutely no sense."

...except that I actually said:

groucho: "MS has the same options, really -- except they chose (A), because MS has a stable enough foundation to not be totally screwed by some games division losses next Q."

So... it made no sense to you, I suppose, because you didn't actually read what I said (again?) and just made some crap up to respond to (again).  In your native language, you non-cherrypicker you, is it not necessary to finish reading, in order to understand?

dhummel: "Honestly, if I was Sony I would pack it up and reload for gen 8 if substantial gains are not made after KZ2's release. Another option thrown around in here has been for Sony to sell off some of their more premium studios for liquidity to fund an immediate price cut. Being a PS3 owner I don't want to say this, but the way things are going I question the viability of the PS brand in the home console market if Sony goes belly up from the PS3. Let the Wii generation pass and start on equal footing next round."

Pack it up?  So.. you would... what?  Close Sony's gaming division, and try and restart it for the next gen... because that's what?  Free?  Sell off their studios?  To whom?  Do you see a lot of publishers looking to acquire new studios these days?  Have you even looked at which divisions are causing Sony trouble?  Or are you assuming its the gaming division, because the PS3 isn't 1st place in console marketshare, and that's all you understand about their business?  Or do you, even?

I think this will be my last post in this thread.  Pretty tiresome.

CrazzyMan said:
They won`t stop the release of AA GAMES on PS3, no matter what they write, PS3 is and will be a MUST HAVE console. =)
PS3 FTW!

Luckily it looks like most people will not be informed they must have it. I imagine it is because it's games seem to have lost that 3rd "A" bit of polish

There are no games for the PS3 that are must haves for me. I like LBP and Uncharted, but that's it.

Around the Network

Karma.

Well, I hav to agree with them in some sort of way. Their right with how Sony try to fight back with their new bundle which is 100 dollars more. Its very sad. Sony got themselves in this slump. They should've been smart and not release the console for $600. Who in the world has ever both a console for $600?

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

The Gamecube made a profit.

That out of the way. This guy oddly sounds like a crazed Sony fanboy having a meltdown.

Like Leo-J does every once an a while.

What a meltdown article.

He goes in about how Sony is sabotraging blu-ray too.

"Without such a shift, the format might perish. Market penetration remains low, and every month people don't buy a Blu-ray player is a month they get closer to downloadable HD movies and the death of the format as a whole. Sony would be wise to step it up and do a better job at getting Blu-ray players into people's homes."

Blu-ray isn't going to just die or anything... unless it gets replaced by flash drives or something... but that's a ways down the road still.

Just another fanboy who can't stand it that everyon doesn't like what he likes.

Which is funny because if everyone did he'd no doubt spend the rest of the day complaining that everbody else likes it wrong and only his way of liking it and reasons for liking it are right.

Kasz216 said:

"Without such a shift, the format might perish. Market penetration remains low, and every month people don't buy a Blu-ray player is a month they get closer to downloadable HD movies and the death of the format as a whole. Sony would be wise to step it up and do a better job at getting Blu-ray players into people's homes."

Blu-ray isn't going to just die or anything... unless it gets replaced by flash drives or something... but that's a ways down the road still.

He's not going over the top. He's saying the BD is at risk for losing more ground to HD downloads and streaming HD rentals. And looking at the Xbox 360, which currently offers unlimited HD rentals through an inexpensive Netflix subscription, you can see that this is a very real threat.

Netflix has few HD downloads right now (a couple hundred, I think), but there are also Xbox marketplace HD downloads/rentals for new releases. If you add them up, they compete well with BD and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

The biggest advantage BD has is that broadband penetration is poor in the US. However, those outside of broadband range may be just as happy with DVD as BD, another issue for the format.

It's clear to most that BD will not see the same kind of adoption that DVD saw. And it's clear to most that Sony will not profit from the PS3 overall. It's a huge loss for them -- both financially (literally) and in terms of the future with marketshare and mindshare.

I'm not talking about just customers, I'm talking about developers and exclusives.  Developers now see that high end A, AA and AAA games always do better on the 360 than the PS3 and should always be 360-first developments.  Microsoft will keep this mindshare into the next gen.