By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bad has square enix been for sony this gen

One_touch_KO said:
Lurker said:
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Troll post of the year.

He's referencing this:

Around the Network

I thing i dont understand if they can make FF13 multi why cant they do the same with Star ocean 4.

Well it might sell more overall for the PS3 but SE just wants more copies sold, and right now 360 is dominating Europe and America (Wii excluded of course), so it was just a logical move. FFXIII is still exclusive in Japan and that's where the PS3 is dominating (again, Wii excluded).

This just sounds like another "Square betrayed Sony" thread which is bs. The same could be said about Nintendo back in the N64 days, but Nintendo decided to stick to cartridges while Sony went to disk which was better for developing. Square wants FF to sell, and there is more of a 360 userbase in the Americas ans Europe than PS3. It was just a business move. SE was never a second party developer for Sony nor any other company... they are third party which means they develop for all platforms. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Square is just doing business, period. Just like they did with the N64.

Sony destroyed Sony this generation. Quit trying to pass their failures this gen onto others. It was Sony's empire to lose, and lose it they did. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52464&page=1

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Remmember Sony played Square Soft dirty. When FF 11 came out for the PS2 a lot of people bought it. About year or so PS2 came out slim and no longer a hard drive attachment. So guess what no more new FF11 users. If your Playstation broke it was hard to get one of the older ones, unless you bought used. When 360 came out it pushed and marketed FF11 PS3 did not. So I think what Square Soft did is to get even at Sony and let them realize you may have a very nice system but without games you no one.

Around the Network
Madanial said:
SE doing business,they neither friend nor brother with Sony.SE just goes anywhere that make money.

Same as make FFVII for PS and leave N64 behind.

I just had to answer this; have you heard of a movie called Final Fantasy: Spirits Within? It was made by (then) Squaresoft and it didn't do too well... What ensued after might be of interest to you (honestly).

Why are you still crying over losing FF13? SE has just grow up and so should the rest of the fanboys. Square did the same thing to Nintendo a few years back and no one cared. It's just business.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Well let's see:
FFXIII multiplatform.
Star Ocean 4 360 exclusive.
DQX wii exclusive.

The move had a devastating impact in the informed communities in regards to the PS3. There were a great number of forum members that unclenched when this announcement came down, and they brazenly said now I have no reason to buy a PS3. A great many more finally felt secure in purchasing a 360 after the announcement as well. So this did hurt Sony. Their console was running out of legs to stand on already. Yes it was a painful loss of sales for Sony which is quite reliant on hardcore gamers the ones most likely to be informed.

I have said it before, and I will say it again Sony and its loyal supporters have no justification whatsoever to gripe about what Square did. Square gave Sony more chances then Sony probably deserved. In fact they gave Sony more chances then the vast majority of developers gave Sony.

Square gave Sony eighteen months of prime exclusivity. Square was at all those conferences. Square handed off two major exclusives to Sony. Square went so far as to publicly rail against Sony for both its price point, and for its marketing. Hell Square is still giving Sony one exclusive, and is keeping Final Fantasy exclusive within Japan. Square is still doing more for Sony then any other third party developer in the world. They are doing more then Sony deserves.

You might gather I am disgusted by the bawling. Saying Square gave Sony the shaft. No Sony hasn't even seen the shaft yet, but if they continue to neglect Square they may find out what the shaft looks like. In the other corner you have Microsoft kissing ass, and buying names. I am sincerely impressed that Square has doted as much as they have on Sony. Given that Sony doesn't seemingly give a shit about their bottom line.

Mark my words if Sony does not mend its ways in the coming year. They are probably going to lose versus exclusivity, and Microsoft is going to finagle two more exclusives out of Square. Oh and Sony will totally deserve that. How do they change this. Open that tight ass wallet to Square no it isn't just greed. Square has to justify ill placed exclusives to its investors.

I remember the outrage from Nintendo Fanboys after Square moved Final Fantasy from it's originating console (Nintendo) to Sony. For those who only know FF as Sony consoles, the Final Fantasy franchise lived exclusively on Nintendo systems for ten years (I - VI)(1987- 1997), and VII was shown near completion for the N64. Because Square wanted to make more money, it moved to Sony (disc vs cartridge). Nintendo fans were saying the exact thing as thread is saying, and blames Square. Square simply went with higher profits, and that actually that helped PSX grow it's userbase and build its empire. Nintendo had six mainline FF games. Sony has had six as well (XI was later ported to the 360).

Ten 1/2 years later they go multi console with FF. In squares history, who got the bigger shaft? Sony or Nintendo? Nintendo had NO mainline FF games, Sony & 360 will share one. FF helped make the PS, and the PS help FF expand. It was a mutual relationship. Business. 360 has the highest HD install base, good business dictates Square goes multi platform, to get the most players in all territories.

Enix developed Dragon Quest/Warrior I - VI for Nintendo systems from 1986- 1995. VII - VIII were S-E releases for PS2 from 2000-2004. IX is coming for DS, X is coming for Wii. How has sony been betrayed? They only had 2 games in the main series ever.

S-E is going where they think they can sell the most games. Period.

If anything, Sony fans owe S-E thanks for the years FF helped grow the Playstation Brand.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709