By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will The Wii 2 Be As Successful?

Pete_Beast said:
scottie said:
"This leads me to my next point: If I am right in what I'm saying, and I managed to figure this out, I'm sure Nintendo's bright minds have ALREADY thought of this and have been hard at work with the Wii 2"

A top Nintendo exec (cant remember who, might've been Miyamoto-san actually) has already said that they are hard at work designing a successor that will give people a real reason to upgrade

Have confidence in the big N, they will deliver the goods, and as for if it succeeds, it has the same advantage that the PS2 did so it should be fine.

If you can find that article and this is said by Miyamoto or Iwata I'll enjoy it greatly.

Found it, it was by Iwata

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/07/29/no-duh-nintendo-already-working-on-next-console/

From the article

"We are always preparing for the next hardware,"

In terms of future specs, Iwata commented that every new piece of hardware "needs some revolutionary features."

Around the Network

That's a good read! Glad to see they kept in mind that innovation is the key.

thekitchensink said:
@1337 Gamer: To be honest, all those people need is a new revolution in gameplay to bring them into the fold. Imagine Nintendo busted out some gloves that became an extension of your hand (no power glove jokes) and some form of standard balance board or boots to the point where you didn't need the controller for motion sensing? Hold the racket however you want, use a steering wheel, actually walk where you want to go (optional)--they could easily do it.

what you say is true but i still dont think it would have as far reaching effects as the Wii mote has. But as ive said before these are just my opinions u could very well be right :)

Long Live SHIO!

Maybe.

I'm not sure it will sell as well because the novelty of it won't be a factor. I think many of the people buying it now are drawn in by it. I think a good number of these patrons will say "I don't need a Wii 2".

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network

I think what people are forgetting is that by the time Wii 2 comes out, Wii's controls won't be a novelty, they will be the new standard.

Sure, the grandparents who got Wii just for Wii bowling aren't going to have much reason to make the shift, but well, lets be honest, they might not even be ALIVE at that point in time.

Now, take the kids who grew up on Wii. They WILL be following and anticipating when the next console comes out, and they'll be used to the motion controls, so they'll also be looking for their next console to have similar controls.

The only possible reason that Wii 2 won't do as well or better than Wii is because Wii is simply THAT BIG. It still stands to dominate the competitors just as badly as Wii is doing now.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I think that we will see innovation in head tracking. But you know they always have a trick up their sleeve's. Also by then Nintendo will have serious third party support so hard core gamers will be on board by the time the wii 2 is here.

and also think has nintendo ever really let us down when it came to a new system... i have full confidence the wii2 will be well worth the upgrade

Grey Acumen said:

Take a look at DS phat sales vs DS lite sales, and also the DSi sales vs the DS lite sales.
They both do exactly the same thing, but people still upgraded to the lite,and are now upgrading to DSi. Same thing can be done for the Wii 2, especially if it builds carefully on what the Wii has already established. I still stick by my old idea that they're going to drop Gamecube support (and move that into the Virtual Console) and make the Wii 2 so it's backwards compatible with both Wii games AND with Wii controllers, such that the current Wiimote/balance board will even be usable with Wii 2 games.

If they boost the graphics up to PS3/360 levels, they'll be able to build off of their current motion sensing controls for something severely awesome, for very cheap, while PS3 and 360 are going to be stuck trying to make their graphics look even better than they already are now(which is going to be hard and expensive) while also trying to figure out how to implement motion controls properly; an area in which the Wii will already have had 5 - 7 years experience in by then, and a back catalog of games to match.

Forgot to reply to this but here I go:

The difference is that the DSi and DS lite are pretty much the same hardware, they play the excact same games (DS games) and use the same control mechanism. The Wii 2 will be a different console, aside from the fact that it may have the same TYPE of controllers. Your comparison is like comparin the PS2 to the Slim PS2 or the PSP with the Slim PSP. It's the same console, so people won't buy the ld version, they'll just buy thebeter one.

When it comes to a new console, prices vary more, graphcis, controls, capabilirty (hardware overall). Games, etc. This is what I meant.

If they do as many casual games and have a low price it will still be successful
DSNew will be successful if they have a billion versions like they do with all handhelds of Nintendo (VB not included~)

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)