By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - possible solution to Digg Lag Effect

Maybe each thread should have a "Digg link" that people can use to link to Digg. On the page the "Digg Link" links to, there would only be a simple layout, with no side links or top links, and just the VGChartz Logo, and of course google ads. The idea would be to make the webpage very small Kilobyte-wise. This would take the strain off of the forum/database server and make loading faster.
 I say this idea now, when there is 3,422 guests logged into VGChartz, and the problem is obvious. VGChartz is losing revenue because of the lack of ability to cope with HUGE influxes of visitors. Maybe something like this could be part of a possible solution. A slimmed-down page with just the forum/news post and some ads. That way, there COULD be a ton of guests, but they aren't all downloading entire forum posts (100kb+ probably) and don't put a super strain on the server.
I guess another solution would be spend a ton of money on a faster connection/database/servers.

Around the Network

Better solution is to UPGRADE the service provided by the host to something that's more accommodating for 1.5K + users. Anything above 750 users at a time starts to slowly cause traffic delays.

The simplest solution would be just stop linking to and reading Digg articles. Seriously. It's a beyond worthless site for gaming news at least. Any worthwhile news can be found anywhere and you don't have to listen to fanboys of all sorts who are in fact dumber than dirt whine about x console for whatever reason, complain that it's a duplicate story, people trying to be popular by getting on the front page, and people bitching about getting dugg down.

Just stop f'ing reading Digg and that would fix everything (see that? I paid attention to the no cuss words rules that time ^^).

It's time to upgrade servers. I was right, this site is all grown up now. It's taking me 2 mins to load a page. It's reminding me of my 256k modem back in the day.

Hopefully most of the new users are girls (yeah right) so we can all fawn over them and impress them with our vast videogame knowledge.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

It's the same damn person posting the diggs, someone named Wii69. This person is not even posting stories that come from this site, just random stuff using this site as a conduit.

Around the Network

Who cares? Anyone brought here is a potential new user, so why complain about that?

I'm going to explain this like my Uncle did about training dogs.

My Uncle trained dogs for hunting and retrieving competitions. He had a friend he used to train with but stopped because they trained their dogs differently. His friend would train his dog on what he would be doing for his next trial. He was employing the here and now strategy which is what vgchartz is currently using.

My Uncle would prepare his dog for the trial, but then instead of continuing to train for what the trial had in store, he'd also train the dog for what the next trials would have, so he would be preparing for the future. THIS IS WHAT VGCHARTZ _MUST_ DO. We can't sit back and get bogged down day in day out when someone links us to Digg or any other major news medium. We need to have the capabilities before hand to be able to handle this kind of traffic, otherwise users will just get frustrated and will want nothing to do with the community.

Take the cost hit, and upgrade the servers.

Do you want to front the money for new servers? It's easy for you to say when you don't have to foot the bill.

FishyJoe said:
Do you want to front the money for new servers? It's easy for you to say when you don't have to foot the bill.

I could go into detail about the revenue capabilities of this site, but I'd rather not ioi get all grumpy at me again.

hehe yeah, if ioi is not making money of this site... he is doing something VERY WRONG.

Not to mention digg effect is good, the site makes money when people come to the site... if it crashes then your losing some of your income.

It is time for a upgrade... like the 4th time time in the last week I can't load the site... or it takes over a minute to load. And I only visit the site from 10am-5pm EST, i can't even imagine how bad it is at 6-9pm :-/

I understand him not wanting to waste money on upgrading servers but I think its time.

There's no point in upgrading the servers or whatever if it's not going to be a constant thing.

Because trust me...Digg crashes nearly every site it goes to...it's called the Digg effect everywhere for a reason.

And I'm not as mad about the lag as I am the bad reputation we're getting...the stories under our site that get on Digg truly suck.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )