By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When Will PS3 Pass 360 in WW sales?

Wont happen. More likely that the 360 will continue to increase its lead.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

Too expensive.
Too large of a gap.
Too much erosion in the Playstation brand name.
Too many 3rd party defections.
Too late for a price cut.
Too late for this gen install base.

So, NEVER.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

Alby_da_Wolf said:

@Ender:

Retailers will give to PS3 and its games the shelf space justified by sales, they still give space to PS2, that now is selling less than every other console commercially available (but not bad at all). If Sony sticks to the 10 year plan developers won't be disappointed at all, like they aren't with PS2, obviosly PS3 must exceed 50million user base by 2011 end for this to happen, but even at the current sales rate it's not difficult at all. And again, 10 years PS3 life doesn'mean that PS4 will be released 10 years after PS3, it will happen very unlikely after 5 years, most probably after 6-7 years.

The PS3 won't sell half the systems the PS2 has.  If 50m is all it takes then I guess we'll have cluttered shelves because we'll also see the 360 and wii... AND next gen systems.  No retailer or developer is going to commit resources to support a 3rd place system.   It takes two to tango. 

You can't compare the ps3 and ps2 situations.

Sony is like a Colossus that Nintendo and its' trusty horse, Microsoft, are slowly beating down.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

What? Not these threads again.

Thread in 2006 "When will PS3 pass 360 in WW sales" Gap 5.5 mill
Thread in 2007 "When will PS3 pass 360 in WW sales"
Thread in 2008 "When will PS3 pass 360 in WW sales" Gap by 2009 likely 8mill

So on what basis will the PS3 ever beat 360 WW. There is no evidence of this whatsoever. Not even a small piece.

Thread in 2011 "When will PS3 pass 360 in WW sales" Gap 18mill

LOL

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
Sony is like a Colossus that Nintendo and its' trusty horse, Microsoft, are slowly beating down.

Ah, a SotC reference. Ironically, the game's a Sony property.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

thekitchensink said:

You are as poetic as Ico themselves. I think I love you.

Um... I don't see it happening...

Never

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

The thing is, the 360 is in the lead now and outselling the ps3. If/when the ps3 drops its price it may start outselling the 360 in the short to mid term but the 360 has that buffer to rely on. More then likely the 360 will outsell the ps3 in q1 next year and probably q2 aswell so by the time the ps3 has its price drop it wont even matter as the gap will be the biggest its ever been.

The 360 will end up 2nd this gen.