By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Just How Did Sony Topple It's Console Empire with PS3?

I agree with Leo-J - Price, Price, Price. If PS3 launched at the same price as the Wii things this generation would have played out differently.

@halogamer1989 - I love that chart. Really puts things into perspective. The only part about it that is fraud is "low third party support". That is actually an area where PS3 and Saturn differ greatly, an area that will ultimately benefit PS3.

Around the Network

The price is merely reflective of decisions to include features that would appeal mostly to the early adopter / hardcore gamer. The price is the symptom of the decisions made during the PS3's development.

The price isn't to blame. It's the decisions that led to the higher prices that are at fault.

the the thing is you cant just say its PS3has launched at better price it would have sold more. while theoretically true in reality it is unlikely the PS3 would have had blu ray, or the cell, things that are making the PS3 so expensive in the first place. yes im guessing the wii or 360 would have sold even more if it was £50 but the fact is that was never gunna happen

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

leo-j said:
Price, Price, Price, Price, Price, Price= what is holding the ps3 back

that's dead wrong. Its ONE thing. That still doesn't make it the everyone console. Ponder this, last gen on what console would Imagine Babiez Party have landed? It would have been on the PS2. The definition of a successful console is not AAA titles but mass appeal.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
FishyJoe said:

The price is merely reflective of decisions to include features that would appeal mostly to the early adopter / hardcore gamer. The price is the symptom of the decisions made during the PS3's development.

The price isn't to blame. It's the decisions that led to the higher prices that are at fault.

I blame Ken "Father of Play Station" Kutaragi for this.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:
FishyJoe said:

I blame Ken "Father of Play Station" Kutaragi for this.

You can put blame on him, but Stringer and Hirai were probably there in the room when these decisions were made.

radioioRobert said:

So Sony moves from an ocean to a lake with M$. Nintendo just makes a bigger ocean. Microsoft sees the ocean expand, and moves out of the lake and into the now bigger ocean. Sony stays in the lake. Ironic.

That's really the strategies of this generation in childlike simplicity.

I don't think Microsoft moved out of the lake.  They've hardly embraced Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy at all.

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
the2bears said:
radioioRobert said:

So Sony moves from an ocean to a lake with M$. Nintendo just makes a bigger ocean. Microsoft sees the ocean expand, and moves out of the lake and into the now bigger ocean. Sony stays in the lake. Ironic.

That's really the strategies of this generation in childlike simplicity.

I don't think Microsoft moved out of the lake.  They've hardly embraced Nintendo's Blue Ocean strategy at all.

I agree with that. But they ARE trying to adapt a more family friendly image. They have TV ads running that the 360 has over 200 family friendly games. And though Lips and You're in the Movies aren't getting great reviews, it shows they are thinking broader demographics than the original Xbox and 1st 2 years of the 360. Sony's Phil Harrison had the correct vision for a mass appeal PS3, and look what happened to him.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

Relied to much on Brand Recognition and beated their chest like savages...

4 ≈ One

$599.99 U.S. Dollars.

That's why. You can't convince $299.999 fans to pick up that kind of cost. Sony killed themselves the minute they announced the specs and the major analyst groups called them out on it. I remember when Meryll Lynch said that it was gonna cost $700-800 to build, and have slow cost reductions due to proprietary technology.

I think this generation proves that: Any company, no matter how large the market share it once had, can easily lose it's spot if they really do something stupid. Nintendo did it with the N64. Sega did it with the Saturn. Sony has done it with the PS3.

I called it over 2 and 1/2 years ago that the PS3 would be a boondoggle, and I was right. It's an overpriced system for what you get. Regardless of the Sony purists and SDF out there, mainstream gamers don't have $400+ for a system. They have $200-300 because of reliance on family, or budgeting.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.