By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Music sells 1 million - bitter tears flow profusely

so how much cred is IGN trying to lose here?

They are getting just stupid.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
bigjon said:
so how much cred is IGN trying to lose here?

They are getting just stupid.

They're concerned about their hardcore gamer cred, not their journalistic integrity cred. They can't act professional, because they don't even think of themselves as professional. It's a widespread problem.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

noname2200 said:

From Casamassina:

"The top-selling game for the month was not for either system, however. Gears of War 2 for Xbox 360 sold to 1.5 million gamers and Call of Duty: World at War for the same platform another 1.4 million. Wii Play took the third spot with nearly 800,000 units sold. Wii Fit managed nearly 700,000 more sales. Mario Kart Wii 637,000. World at War for PS3 597,000. Guitar Hero: World Tour for Wii 475,000. Left 4 Dead on Xbox 360 410,000. Resistance 2 on PS3 385,000. And Wii Music, unfortunately, sold to 297,000 buyers. "

Mmm. Bitter tears taste delicious.

That's an exellent catch, well found.

I wonder how the reactions will be when Wii Music sells 3-4M (or possibly 5, if legs go nuts).

Wii Music can go both ways really, down the toilet to 3M LT or up the sink to 5M LT.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Wii+Music+-+Wii&reg2=All&game2=&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=10&weekly=1

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=Others&game1=Wii+Music+-+Wii&reg2=All&game2=&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=10&weekly=1

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

@Oyvoyvoyv

Yes, that's my assessment as well. It's still too early to get any idea of how Wii Musics legs will look. And there really is no presedence either, in terms of games that might be expected to perform similarly. It's a pretty unproven concept.

1 million was garaunteed, but what comes next? - most interesting question for me this year.

This is invisible text!

Not judging how amusing it may be, but from what I understand about the game's mechanics, playing Wii Music you maybe could learn to play drums or a theremin, but can you learn to play any other instrument with it?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Not judging how amusing it may be, but from what I understand about the game's mechanics, playing Wii Music you maybe could learn to play drums or a theremin, but can you learn to play any other instrument with it?

It's not about learning to play an instrument. It's about learning music. Hence the name :)

And I'm not sure you can learn to play any real instruments with it. Drums would be the closest you can get, but I would be surprised if you could learn to play drums from Wii Music.

This is invisible text!

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Oh Lord no.

But then trying to do so would be like learning how to be a soldier by playing Call of Duty: if you're trying to learn the real deal this way, you're definitely doing it wrong (which is part, but only part, of BMaker's problem).

If I had to liken Wii Music to something, it would be a music synthesizer. But even that's not really accurate: it's just the best analogy I could come up with.

Killergran said:

It's not about learning to play an instrument. It's about learning music. Hence the name :)

And I'm not sure you can learn to play any real instruments with it. Drums would be the closest you can get, but I would be surprised if you could learn to play drums from Wii Music.

It won't turn anybody into the next Buddy Rich, but I actually do think that a beginner could realistically learn basic drum kit technique from the Wii Music lessons.

Oh well, maybe I'm too fussy, maybe amongst the mass of players just fiddling with it, an higher share than just listening to music will be willing to really learn to play... But let's just hope that it doesn't cause another surge of boy bands, that would be a real crime against humanity!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Alas, Wii Music doesn't have a theremin.

Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People does, though!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.