By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Failures of The New Xbox Experience

RED53DEVILS said:

Here are ten things I dislike about it.

10.  It’s a forced update for anyone playing on Live. Self explanatory, no need for discussion.

9.  Why does it have to load up to the spotlight section? As far as I am concerned, it should take me directly to the “My Xbox” channel or just boot up my game.  The user should get the choice if they want to look at the ads or not.

8.  Do we really need to see our own motto? It serves no purpose other than to block out a bit of the screen for no reason.

7.  What is the point of ripping a game to the hard drive if you still need the disc to play it? Load times during the game seem sufficient to me, and I doubt many people would download games in order to cut back load times during multiplayer matches.

6. The Marketplace screen seems cluttered and confusing. It took me ten minutes to figure out where to redeem a code for Gears of War 2 with the free map pack upgrade!  This may have just been because I am new to the system, but you would expect to find code redemption under the game marketplace and instead it’s in the guide.

5.  The Events menu is being used like a marketing tool. It’s cool that it automatically shows what events are about to occur, but wouldn’t it make more sense if it only showed events that are related to games you have in your library?  It just seems like a silent trick to motivate people to go buy more games.

4.  Why does it lag when I am scrolling through my friends list? I only have six friends who are currently on Xbox LIVE, but what happens when I have 60 friends and want to flip through them randomly?  It will take forever!

3. The interface is not customizable. If you have a few channels that you always use, it would be nice to be able to design your own menu of preferred channels.  This would significantly cut down on browsing time.

2.  How many different menus can there be? Turn on the Xbox and it can take you ten minutes to find something you are looking for.  It even bears a striking resemblance to the latest version of iTunes, which I was not a fan of either.

1.  The thing that irritates me the most is the avatar creator. When my cousin and I first fired up The New Xbox Experience, we were surprised to see that the avatars bear a striking resemblance to Miis from Nintendo’s popular Wii system.  Why don’t they just label them as the Xbox Miis?  They are far more realistic, almost Sim like, but the idea of creating a character that looks similar to you seems very Wii centric.

Don’t get me wrong.  The new interface has some nice things about it, but changing something that wasn’t really broken to begin with makes little sense to me.  Plus, it would have also been nice to have had some sort of internet browser in the newest revision.  Microsoft wants to be the king of computing, and yet their flagship system doesn’t even support something that is present in both of the competing consoles.  If they can manage to equip the Nintendo Wii with a browser, one can only assume that it would probably be easy to add to your Xbox 360.

What are your thoughts?  Do you like the new system, or do you have dislikes that I managed to miss?

word can someone please tell where the hell is the redeem code place. i look everywhere and i can't find it.

im looking for it for the same reason, i lost my code in a pile of mess in my room. i found it recently but i can't find where to redeem the code, its pissing me off i can't play the old maps, which in my opinion are a lot better than most of the new ones

Around the Network

a fanboy article...

Sorry for that...

Sardauk said:
Euphoria14 said:
Sardauk said:
Euphoria14 said:

@Sardauk

What do you mean "isn't overpriced anymore"? $149.99 isn't overpriced?

Since when? Especially when on a PS3 you can get double the memory for half the price. For the same price you can snag a 500GB HDD.

You know why I know for a fact it is overpriced? It is nothing more than the same exact type of HDD only with plastic over it, so because it has plastic they get to to charge 4x or more than price.

No look, 149.99 * is the old retail price. Some (silly) shops are still trying to empty their stock with it.

I bought mine from a new bacth, for 63 Euros (a shop in Holland, that delivers in Belgium).

I don't know what you can put on the PS3... I understand it isn't the same technology ?

Same exact technology I am pretty sure. 2.5" Laptop HDD.

You can actually open your 360HDD enclosure and replace the 2.5" HDD in there with another. Will get you banned from LIVE though and the 360 has a 120GB cap. No idea what the PS3 cap is, but I know it is over 500GB.

Those 63 euros you spent also get you a 250GB+ HDD. Same exact size and all that is contained within the 120GB exclosure you paid for.

250 to do what ? I'm pretty sure I will never use everything and 63 euros is not a killer ... come one..

If you take an average of 5 gigs per install image (minus the usual 10 mandatory gigs taken from the system), it gives you room for 22 games...

I have a life outside videogaming and don't intend to play so much !

I play too much, so I would like a 120GB HDD for my 360, but at a reasonable price based on what the technology goes for these days.

Maybe I need more of an outside life.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I use my 250GB for several game installs and game downloads such as Wipeout HD.

In addition when I have media stored on my PC which is upstairs, I can easily access/download this information wirelessly on to my PS3's Hard Drive. As at this moment I have the 2nd Season of Heroes on which I need to catch up on sometime!

Not having to worry about space and being able to upgrade it as I want for a reasonable price is a huge boon for me!

Luckily when I got my 360 2nd Hand it came with a 120 GB hard drive so I didn't have to worry about the cost for finding a larger Hard Drive for my installs!

I still find it quite odd that people love installs on 360 but not on PS3 because they're "optional" though it's the only way to not make your 360 sound like a Jet Engine... I don't know how "optional" that is, but if you have a 120 Gig HD, and don't like hearing a Jet Engine, it's required.

I also don't see the major point of NXE. It's still laggy, it still hangs when I bring the dashboard up in-game, and all the same problem still persist. The only good thing is that the marketplace is sorted better, but not anywhere near as clean as the Wii Shop or PS Store are. It's still a cluttered mess, but less of a cluttered mess.

I'd have to go the Barack Obama route and call this lipstick on a pig. It's essentaily the same thing, just with a new coat of paint.

Around the Network

FPSrules said:

word can someone please tell where the hell is the redeem code place. i look everywhere and i can't find it.

Hit the xbox button t'ingy to bring up the new guide, go to the marketplace blade, the redeem code option's on there.

Euphoria14 said:
Gerinako said:

PS3 uses the standard 2.5" Laptop Hard Drives

I installed a 250GB hard drive at the Massive cost of £49.99

5400rpm and 8MB Cache

Not 'special technology' at all

(It is suggested you do not go above the 5400rpm speed, however a 16MB Cache is fine/little better)

360 uses the same standard 2.5" Laptop HDD if I am not mistaken. This is why I think the price on it should be dropped significantly and know they are just trying to rip me off.

no 360 uses a custom made hardrive. that grey thing on the left side of your xbox is the hardrive. its completely different from a laptop hardrive. laptop hardrive is much smaller.

but your right the prices for MS custom hardrives are way too expensive. the 20GB was priced at like $110, yes it was discontinue, but around the same time i got a 250GB laptop hardrive off amazon for the ps3 for exaclty $82.24 (american dollars), and i could have gotten 320GB for $120. and the 360 120GB is priced at $180?????. WTF, and not including tax. this is why i refuse to buy a 360 hardrive until they stop trying to rip me off.

i need one, but not until MS stops trying to take advantage of consumers who don't know they getting ripped off

DMeisterJ said:
I still find it quite odd that people love installs on 360 but not on PS3 because they're "optional" though it's the only way to not make your 360 sound like a Jet Engine... I don't know how "optional" that is, but if you have a 120 Gig HD, and don't like hearing a Jet Engine, it's required.

I also don't see the major point of NXE. It's still laggy, it still hangs when I bring the dashboard up in-game, and all the same problem still persist. The only good thing is that the marketplace is sorted better, but not anywhere near as clean as the Wii Shop or PS Store are. It's still a cluttered mess, but less of a cluttered mess.

I'd have to go the Barack Obama route and call this lipstick on a pig. It's essentaily the same thing, just with a new coat of paint.

I've found things easy to find, and have experienced less lag.

And lipstick on a pig only applied if the original was terrible. Since xbox already had the best online experience it would be like lipstick on an attractive woman. Or conversely if you think it truely equated to a pig before, what does that make PSN? A trolloc?

@ Jereel

The Pig was the original Dashboard.

I don't get why you brought PSN into this. I only compared the PS Store, XBLM, and Wii Shop.

DMeisterJ said:

They are optional. If you want to play the game for the disc you can. If you haven't played a game in 6 months and want to go back to it, you can pop the game in and play. You don't have to sit through a reinstall.