By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 Failures of The New Xbox Experience

Here are ten things I dislike about it.

10.  It’s a forced update for anyone playing on Live. Self explanatory, no need for discussion.

9.  Why does it have to load up to the spotlight section? As far as I am concerned, it should take me directly to the “My Xbox” channel or just boot up my game.  The user should get the choice if they want to look at the ads or not.

8.  Do we really need to see our own motto? It serves no purpose other than to block out a bit of the screen for no reason.

7.  What is the point of ripping a game to the hard drive if you still need the disc to play it? Load times during the game seem sufficient to me, and I doubt many people would download games in order to cut back load times during multiplayer matches.

6. The Marketplace screen seems cluttered and confusing. It took me ten minutes to figure out where to redeem a code for Gears of War 2 with the free map pack upgrade!  This may have just been because I am new to the system, but you would expect to find code redemption under the game marketplace and instead it’s in the guide.

5.  The Events menu is being used like a marketing tool. It’s cool that it automatically shows what events are about to occur, but wouldn’t it make more sense if it only showed events that are related to games you have in your library?  It just seems like a silent trick to motivate people to go buy more games.

4.  Why does it lag when I am scrolling through my friends list? I only have six friends who are currently on Xbox LIVE, but what happens when I have 60 friends and want to flip through them randomly?  It will take forever!

3. The interface is not customizable. If you have a few channels that you always use, it would be nice to be able to design your own menu of preferred channels.  This would significantly cut down on browsing time.

2.  How many different menus can there be? Turn on the Xbox and it can take you ten minutes to find something you are looking for.  It even bears a striking resemblance to the latest version of iTunes, which I was not a fan of either.

1.  The thing that irritates me the most is the avatar creator. When my cousin and I first fired up The New Xbox Experience, we were surprised to see that the avatars bear a striking resemblance to Miis from Nintendo’s popular Wii system.  Why don’t they just label them as the Xbox Miis?  They are far more realistic, almost Sim like, but the idea of creating a character that looks similar to you seems very Wii centric.

Don’t get me wrong.  The new interface has some nice things about it, but changing something that wasn’t really broken to begin with makes little sense to me.  Plus, it would have also been nice to have had some sort of internet browser in the newest revision.  Microsoft wants to be the king of computing, and yet their flagship system doesn’t even support something that is present in both of the competing consoles.  If they can manage to equip the Nintendo Wii with a browser, one can only assume that it would probably be easy to add to your Xbox 360.

What are your thoughts?  Do you like the new system, or do you have dislikes that I managed to miss?

Around the Network

9. You can set an option to load a game as soon as you turn the thing on rather than going to the "dashboard". I also like that they've added the option to not start a game as soon as you put the disc in.

7. To save my ears. I don't need to turn the sound up so loud to drown out the jet engine that Microsoft so kindly included in my 360.

4. It does seem quite slow at loading people's avatars, but I don't really suffer any lag as such.

I would've liked to see an internet browser too, but I imagine the OS would be quite susceptible to viruses that Windows are susceptible too. Dunno.

#7 is incredibly stupid.

badgenome said:
#7 is incredibly stupid.

well thats the same that people say to forced installs.

Jo21 said:
badgenome said:
#7 is incredibly stupid.

well thats the same that people say to forced installs.

Sure, but I can understand people not seeing the usefulness of installs on PS3. As I understand, it's because of Blu-Ray's read speed or something, so it's simply a necessity. Full HDD install is undeniably better than running from DVD- faster loadtimes, infinitely less noise, and less wear and tear on the DVD drive.

Around the Network

Kowenicki your so quick to go into MDF mode , of the first 5 posts of this thread 3 of them are yours.

10, 7, 6 and 5 (that stupid little bar thing in XMB that sometimes spouts cryptic messages) are also failures the PS3 has aswell, but I guess this thread is about you ragging on the 360, so that's probably why they were omitted.

kowenicki said:
@ million. thats because this is a reddevil (sony fanboy) thread about the 360 again! he is obsesed with the machine he hates. come to think of it million... why are you in this thread?

Erm...I clicked on this thread by accident I have no interest in things that make the 360 look bad...

7. What is the point of ripping a game to the hard drive if you still need the disc to play it? Load times during the game seem sufficient to me, and I doubt many people would download games in order to cut back load times during multiplayer matches.

Lets see, things you can do because of this
cut down on power usage
shorten load times
quieten disk drive noise

And yet it wont lead to rampant piracy, if you could just install all your friends games, then 360 software sales would drop to PSP levels

10- that surprises me, Microsoft has always been about giving people choices. Choices such as not including wireless online, not including the HD drive, and as with 7 not making installation mandatory. Which are reasons why people buy 360 over PS3.