By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: Rock Band 2 hits Wii on December 22

lol and ea wonder why they are losing a ton of money.

As keith oberman would say "The President of EA should resign this momemt to help that company regain any shred of dignity it may have LOST!!!!"

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Well, I already bought World Tour, but I'm a little disappointed with that too. No RB drum or guitar support. Clunky interface. Not quite as much fun as even the gimped RB1 on Wii. Sure, we've spent some time with it, but not nearly as much as RB1 or GH3. All previews seem to indicate that RB2 on Wii will be great. Plus, there's the *giant* back catalog of music that the Wii version will hopefully add to the DLC channel ASAP.

I'm also shocked at how poorly the Wii release has been handled. You'd think that they'd at least try to get it out a reasonable time after the other consoles. It just seems like EA wants to throw money away. :p

About the only way I would consider RB/RB2 at this point is if they make it compatible with all GH WT instruments.

JoeJ said:
Well, I already bought World Tour, but I'm a little disappointed with that too. No RB drum or guitar support. Clunky interface. Not quite as much fun as even the gimped RB1 on Wii. Sure, we've spent some time with it, but not nearly as much as RB1 or GH3. All previews seem to indicate that RB2 on Wii will be great. Plus, there's the *giant* back catalog of music that the Wii version will hopefully add to the DLC channel ASAP.

I'm also shocked at how poorly the Wii release has been handled. You'd think that they'd at least try to get it out a reasonable time after the other consoles. It just seems like EA wants to throw money away. :p

You know this is plainly Harmonix's fault, right? Apparently, they didn't even follow Nintendo's guideline about game peripherals.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Can i use my GHWT instruments with this?

Around the Network

Rock band 2 treated the wii better than RB1 did, but still not great, lets be honest.

SHMUPGurus:

It's also Activision being cash grubbers.  The Rock Band instruments are fairly generic USB HID devices. I know this because I built my own MIDI Drum Set -> USB Wii adapter using a PIC18F4550 microcontroller. Adding software support for these devices has to be trivial at best, especially since Nintendo already provides USB HID software support in their IOS, as evidenced by USB keyboard support in various applications.

Yes, Harmonix didn't support the Wii standard interfaces, but there should be no excuse for not supporting the existing equipment other than to force people to buy your own.

Maynard_Tool:

People seem to be saying that the GH:WT instruments are compatible (drums included).  However, with the terrible information that's coming out about this game, it's hard to be 100% sure.

Again, they're not maximizing the possible sales on the wii. It almost seems as if they want to lose money. I wonder what possible excuse they have for delaying it.

JoeJ said:

SHMUPGurus:

It's also Activision being cash grubbers.  The Rock Band instruments are fairly generic USB HID devices. I know this because I built my own MIDI Drum Set -> USB Wii adapter using a PIC18F4550 microcontroller. Adding software support for these devices has to be trivial at best, especially since Nintendo already provides USB HID software support in their IOS, as evidenced by USB keyboard support in various applications.

Yes, Harmonix didn't support the Wii standard interfaces, but there should be no excuse for not supporting the existing equipment other than to force people to buy your own.

[...]

I don't get it, so Activision has to create ''exceptions to the rules'' because one certain company decided to not comply to the rules?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I'm suggesting that it wouldn't have cost Activision much time in terms of development for what would have been a goodwill gesture. That doesn't seem like a whole lot to ask for. I agree with you that RB should have used the standard Wii controls, but like I said previously, a USB HID device is a supported device in the Wii's IOS. Although it may not be a BT controller, it isn't a completely foreign device.

Heck, Harmonix is just as guilty and I complained loudly when RB1 was released and it didn't support the GH3 guitar. However, just as with Harmonix and the GH3 guitar, there is no good reason to ignore support for the RB1 drumset unless they wanted to push people to buy Activision's equipment.

Again, this mess seems to be sorted in RB2, reports seem to indicate that all devices are supported in RB2, which makes me happy to hear.