By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Thousands" of B/C Games for EU PS3

stof said: I don't think the number of games is as important as which games will or won't work. If Dora the Explorer doesn't run on a PS3, I can't see too many people noticing that one. If the GTA games don't work, then there'll be trouble.
Very true. @HappySqurriel Even though they claim it is not a focus I cannot help but believe that it is a source of pride. I really believe that they will get it to a high percentage quickly. The thing is that for gamers it will become less of an issue when better games come out on the system. The same thing happened with the PS2. The majority of BC' issues were fixed after the slim ps2 was released.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

While this could be very bad news...I'm guessing it won't affect most gamers, unless their gaming tastes require them to buy little-known low-selling PS2 games. The games that sold well, got good reviews, had big releases will obviously be compatible. I mean...if not, then that definitely is a problem. I'm very surprised and disappointed that Sony says potential PS3 buyers are not looking for backwards compatibility. I never owned a PS2, and I would want to buy quite a few PS2 games if I got a PS3. I mean, PS2 game sales are still chugging along...there's gotta be quite a few PS3 users buying PS2 games still...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said: I'm very surprised and disappointed that Sony says potential PS3 buyers are not looking for backwards compatibility. I never owned a PS2, and I would want to buy quite a few PS2 games if I got a PS3. I mean, PS2 game sales are still chugging along...there's gotta be quite a few PS3 users buying PS2 games still...
In all honesty, the best thing to do would be to go out and get a PS2. They're fairly cheap right now. And considering the amount of great games you can find used. It doesn't end up hitting your wallet that hard.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Ben has a point. There are probably quite a few people who sold thier PS2 to get a PS3. And new game they purchased for the PS2 I am pretty sure they would want to play. It might make people upset if it doesn't work on thier shiney new console.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

The PS3 software emulator is going to have possibly in the future, upsampling. (awosome) The PS2 has great games, and I highly doubt new PS2 games WONT work on the PS3. (not like the 360) (the new ones will work I mean) The way they are doing this software emulator is. They are emulateing the basic chip specs. Some games really do some wack stuff with the hardware to get results that normally couldnt be obtained. The those are impossible to emulate on diffrent hardware... or even in software. (unless you make code specifically for it) As long as there is over 1000 games with compatablity... I find it hard to complain. that's at least 50% and you know it will go up as they improve the emulator. (unlike the 360 wich doesnt have a 'real' emulator in it) EDIT: I said upsampleing. That means the PS3 will be able to make PS2 games look BETTER than a PS2 can make them look.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Since USA and Japan consoles have an emotion engine chip, I don't think thats posible kwaad. I mean, the games *should* be equally emulated in both consoles (American and European). So, if an American PS3 plays a PS2 game exactly like a PS2, with no additional tweaks (I don't have a PS3... but that's what I know about it), an european PS3 won't do better. Since they are treating us like margins, I really don't think they are going to do any effort in doing that. What's more, if the emulation made better games in europe (since it is only software emulation...), the rest of the world would be angry. Besides, they won't make any profit in wasting time for us to see "ICO HD" or "Shadow Of the Colossus HD". Maybe some users would get a couple of PS2 hits, but since they could play PS3 games... won't be many. Nintendo does improve some games on the VC, but hell, not for free... we have to pay for them (yeah, we are not only emulating, but buying the game too... but they are expensive as well). In any case, this won't be so bad if european PS3 were 27 euros cheaper, if they were sold at 572 euros (27 euros is the price of an emotion engine by now). But no, the sad thing for us (European) is that it still cost 599 euros. What's more, those who pre-ordered a PS3 won't get the console they paid for. It's a minor difference, but it's still a downgraded console for the same price. That hurts, the fact it's not the same, wether we can emulate our games or not. PS: Still I'm sure PS3 will be sold out for 2 or 3 months here.

This is good news, and puts my mind to ease (not that I really cared that much, as I don't have a PS3!). If they can get most games running, it won't be an issue - but it will be a positive. I'm disappointed though they didn't take this route at launch - it would have made PS3's cheaper, and killed off all this bad publicity. Maybe the software wasn't ready at all.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Kwaad said:EDIT: I said upsampleing. That means the PS3 will be able to make PS2 games look BETTER than a PS2 can make them look.
No at euro launch. They are emulating the EE and keeping the GS, which means that all the games are rendered on the same piece of silicon as in the PS2. The only way it could "upsample" is to apply some sort of software scaling, which would result in lag. There is no way they can render at a higher resolution unless they move the GS over to emulation, and it's going to be difficult to emulate the GS, especially with it's memory bottlenecks. And how does the 360 lack a "real" emulator? I'd like to hear your explanation for this...

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Ya go Sony. They make everyone mad with the announcement and then they go to say theres over 1,000 games available first day. Thats awesome, Sony has smooth sailing from now on.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e