By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@smashed: Im sorry what logic makes you believe the PS3 is doing amazing for it's price? This is others, which has always tended to be Sony's strongest area.

Let's take the $200 V $400 comparison people keep using (even though it's others and so multiple currencies are used). However right of the bat we have to say that not all 360's sold are the arcade. Realistically the average is probably closer to $250v$400.

So 360 sales are 323k and Ps3 sales are 176K. Using the very basic logic that if something is twice the price it sells half as much that would mean at $250 the PS3 would receive a 1.6 boost in sales. 1.6x176 = 282k. Below the 360, in Sony's strongest market, after a line-up of software that people were declaring would see sales skyrocket.

This is also done with very basic calculations as half price doesn't = twice sales. But basically it's very very hard to argue the PS3 is doing well for it's price. Especially if you consider that if both consoles were the same price MS would be making a much bigger profit off hardware.

Simple fact is sony mispriced their hardware and hugely over estimated the value people place on the sony brand name, the exclusive titles and blu-ray. It's sales are okay for it's price but definetly not amazing. Not to mention who cares what sales are like for price? It's a competitive market. When the PS3 drops in price so will the 360. And while not every 360 sold is a lost sale for the PS3 and pretty large percentage of them are. By the time the PS3 reaches $200 the amount of people looking for a $200 console will have dropped.

I have to say though Nintendo are doing insanely well with the wii. It's looking like to will soon take over the PS3 and 360 combined totals. Not only that but demand is still so high that they can probably continue on for ages without a price drop. It doesn't look like there will be a price drop next year at this sales rate. Pretty incredible.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

I just updated myself, see?

I think the gap between the PS3/360 for the year is something like 200k now, so we could see the 360 take the year in the last few weeks.

Tease.

Zim said:
@smashed: Im sorry what logic makes you believe the PS3 is doing amazing for it's price? This is others, which has always tended to be Sony's strongest area.

Let's take the $200 V $400 comparison people keep using (even though it's others and so multiple currencies are used). However right of the bat we have to say that not all 360's sold are the arcade. Realistically the average is probably closer to $250v$400.

So 360 sales are 323k and Ps3 sales are 176K. Using the very basic logic that if something is twice the price it sells half as much that would mean at $250 the PS3 would receive a 1.6 boost in sales. 1.6x176 = 282k. Below the 360, in Sony's strongest market, after a line-up of software that people were declaring would see sales skyrocket.

This is also done with very basic calculations as half price doesn't = twice sales. But basically it's very very hard to argue the PS3 is doing well for it's price. Especially if you consider that if both consoles were the same price MS would be making a much bigger profit off hardware.

Simple fact is sony mispriced their hardware and hugely over estimated the value people place on the sony brand name, the exclusive titles and blu-ray. It's sales are okay for it's price but definetly not amazing. Not to mention who cares what sales are like for price? It's a competitive market. When the PS3 drops in price so will the 360. And while not every 360 sold is a lost sale for the PS3 and pretty large percentage of them are. By the time the PS3 reaches $200 the amount of people looking for a $200 console will have dropped.

I have to say though Nintendo are doing insanely well with the wii. It's looking like to will soon take over the PS3 and 360 combined totals. Not only that but demand is still so high that they can probably continue on for ages without a price drop. It doesn't look like there will be a price drop next year at this sales rate. Pretty incredible.

Sony's strategy is evidently not working that great, considering that they are slashing 16000 positions and 10 of production capacity.  Added on to the fact that they are already saying profits will be down at least 50% yoy for the march reporting period.  So let sony fanboy keep believing everything is rosy, and that 360 and wii days are numbered...time will tell.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

360 is a beast now in others...microsoft need to make the most of this before the PS3 gets its inevitable price cut

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

At this rate, DS has a real chance at breaking 100m by Jan 1st 2009... (4 more weeks after this one)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
Bitmap Frogs said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Oh my! Such a weird turn of event this year with the 360 and PS3. So a price cut is really important for a console to sell? o_O

No... but both the ps3 and the 360 are pretty equivalent in their capabilities and library so they compete against each other for the same demographic. In such conditions, price matters.

Capabilites equivalent no, the 360 does not have a blu-ray player, nor does it have  several significant features the ps3 has, consumers just dont give a $hit about blu-ray, and therefore they arent wasting there time on the ps3.

mM
heruamon said:
Zim said:

Sony's strategy is evidently not working that great, considering that they are slashing 16000 positions and 10 of production capacity.  Added on to the fact that they are already saying profits will be down at least 50% yoy for the march reporting period.  So let sony fanboy keep believing everything is rosy, and that 360 and wii days are numbered...time will tell.

I think, when we discuss revenue vs. consoles, there are 2 important things to consider.

1) For the present time, consoles are what matter. The more consoles sold means far more than revenue...If your selling a ton of consoles, your going to eventually lead in every feasable catagory (such as the Wii - despite a pretty bad ratio of HW to SW, it's overcome that gap by dominating hardware). Furthermore, since it moves more SW, it certainly helps the hardware maker, because the licensing fees are where they make the big bucks.

2) Revenue ONLY matters if you have a chance to reduce prices. One of the things with the X360 was, even when it was $400 for the Premium, there were enough consoles being sold that most knew that when the price dropped....Sales would pick up. The problem is, now, that so many consoles are being sold in the X360/Wii camp, that they are drying up the purchase base so quickly (in a relative term), that the boost Sony will get from a price reduction will be mitigated...Because when it drops to $300, the X360/Wii may have dried up a significant portion of the users wanting to buy a console at $300.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Squilliam said:
I just updated myself, see?

I think the gap between the PS3/360 for the year is something like 200k now, so we could see the 360 take the year in the last few weeks.

lol or considering the 360 outsold the PS3 by 280k last week in Americas it is very likely we will see it this week ;) You're very cautious these days Squilliam!

leo-j said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
SHMUPGurus said:

Oh my! Such a weird turn of event this year with the 360 and PS3. So a price cut is really important for a console to sell? o_O

No... but both the ps3 and the 360 are pretty equivalent in their capabilities and library so they compete against each other for the same demographic. In such conditions, price matters.

Capabilites equivalent no, the 360 does not have a blu-ray player, nor does it have  several significant features the ps3 has, consumers just dont give a $hit about blu-ray, and therefore they arent wasting there time on the ps3.

Which are...? Change font in the menu? Use a printer (for some unknown reason)?

I'm not saying the PS3 is not worth its current price tag for blu-ray alone (we could discuss about this though), but these features are just not important anyways. Even if the economy wasn't so bad, I doubt people would care about them.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Go Wii!
Going for 2 1mil weeks in a row.
(>'.')>