By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - (Japan) it makes no sense for SE to keep FF XIII exclusive

Final Fantasy XIII will release in Japan for the Xbox 360 a little after the game is released in North America.

Around the Network

because japan 360 sales = almost non existant. Plus i believe that they felt a loyalty to sony and would like to push console sales in that territory. Y spend the resources to make a japanese version that sales 250,000 copies max. Prolly less actually as i dont believe any self respecting japanese gamer would only have an xbox

Long Live SHIO!

SE used to be loyaly to Nintendo too. Any loyalty to Sony was killed by poor PS3 sales, because loyalty doesn't pay the bills.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

SE will miss out on sales and $$$ if FF XIII remains exclusive for PS3 in Japan.
PS3 version of FF XIII could sell around 2 million in Japan region alone.
500k to 1 million copies of FF XIII of XBox 360 sold in Japan would be icing on the cake.

numonex said:
SE will miss out on sales and $$$ if FF XIII remains exclusive for PS3 in Japan.
500k to 1 million copies of FF XIII of XBox 360 sold in Japan would be icing on the cake.

Very unlikely. That would require a system-to-software ratio of over 50%: a ratio that even GTA4 and Halo 3 have been unable to accomplish in any region. Final Fantasy has never even begun to approach that figure -not even in the best of times- and the 360 fanbase is far less inclined toward JRPGs than the PS3 fanbase is. I doubt FFXIII/360 would even break 200,000 copies in Japan, and that simply isn't enough of an increase in sales to justify the cost of back-localizing it.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 PS3 175k
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 360 9.2k
THIS. =)
it make sno sense releasing game on x360 in Japan, because japanese always buy PS3 version, if they have a choice. These sales are, when games were released at same time. NOBODY will wait for x360 version in Japan.
PS3 FTW! =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Millennium said:
numonex said:

Very unlikely. That would require a system-to-software ratio of over 50%: a ratio that even GTA4 and Halo 3 have been unable to accomplish in any region. Final Fantasy has never even begun to approach that figure -not even in the best of times- and the 360 fanbase is far less inclined toward JRPGs than the PS3 fanbase is. I doubt FFXIII/360 would even break 200,000 copies in Japan, and that simply isn't enough of an increase in sales to justify the cost of back-localizing it.

Now that's just crazy talk.  Blue Dragon sold more than that to a MUCH smaller install base.  Considering a late 2009 release, 500k wouldn't be unrealistic at all based on the potential growth of the install base by that time.

yeah ff13 should be on 360 in japan it would sell like 280,000

toastboy44562 said:

it would sell like 10k if you think anymore you are fooling yourself

Max King of the Wild said:
toastboy44562 said:

it would sell like 10k if you think anymore you are fooling yourself

nice one :D

yeah so you expect it to sell worse than guitar hero 3....