By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - (Japan) it makes no sense for SE to keep FF XIII exclusive

MS had to pull enough strings as it was to get the game on the 360 outside of Japan. They probably felt the Japanese market was not worth the extra fight, especially considering how few consoles are in the country. Regardless, it is SE's loss and not MS's. The only benefactor is Sony, and they wont benefit much.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
BMaker11 said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
It would be more important for Sony that the game remained exclusive in Japan as, like Dallinor said, thats the area that will push the most hardware and possibly even the software (since FF games always have an opening of ~1.8-2.0 million)

It is a shame that the game is not completely exclusive to the PS3 as it would be better for Sony if it had remained that way... Oh well, it is a better thing for Square-Enix though as it maximizes the sales of the game! At least FFXIII Versus is still exclusive (for now at least)

Like GTA going multi and maximizing sales? Nope, still sold 12 million combined like Vice City

Or DMC4? Nope. Still sold roughly 2.5 million like previous titles.

Console numbers may be different but fanbases stay the same. If a person has a PS3 and a 360, it's still only one sale of the game. If he onl has one console it's still one sale. If you're going to buy FF, you're going to buy it, no matter what platform it's on, so ultimately they sales numbers in the end remain the same.

Edit: The only time a game gets "maximized" by going multi is if say GTA4 sold 24 million because Vice City only sold 12 million. Maximizing =/= getting the same amount of profit

You don't think that those games would have sold less on just one console?  There is no way that GTAIV makes it to nearly 12 million on only the PS3.

It certainly wouldn't have done it...under today's circumstances. But had it stayed exclusive, along with other games, PS3 sales would be up. Now, everytime something is even hinted at being PS3 exclusive, there's billions of rumors that it'll come to the 360.

But even still, under today's circumstances, MGS4 is on track to outsell MGS3 (whose userbase was over 100 million). Or is it some sort of weird anamoly that it sold as well as it did on the "userbase that isn't large enough to generate a profit and thus the game should have gone multiplatform"?

Could they sell another 150K units in Japan if they made it cross-platform? Maybe, maybe not. But even 150K units is barely even significant when you're dealing with the scales on which FF games sell: only about a 3% increase. Can the costs of back-localizing the 360 port for Japan truly justify an increase of only 3%? I doubt it.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Any FF fans in Japan will buy a PS3 if they don't have one already when FFXIII comes out. I'm ready to bet that half the 360 owners in Japan probably have a PS3 as well...That's why SE doesn't see the need to make a 360 JPY version of FFXIII. Now I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIV is multiplatform worldwide, since they can start the development on the 360 along with the development on the PS3 right at the start.

"In the end, you're always on your own."

~ Squalll Leonheart

BMaker11 said:
theRepublic said:
BMaker11 said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
It would be more important for Sony that the game remained exclusive in Japan as, like Dallinor said, thats the area that will push the most hardware and possibly even the software (since FF games always have an opening of ~1.8-2.0 million)

It is a shame that the game is not completely exclusive to the PS3 as it would be better for Sony if it had remained that way... Oh well, it is a better thing for Square-Enix though as it maximizes the sales of the game! At least FFXIII Versus is still exclusive (for now at least)

Like GTA going multi and maximizing sales? Nope, still sold 12 million combined like Vice City

Or DMC4? Nope. Still sold roughly 2.5 million like previous titles.

Console numbers may be different but fanbases stay the same. If a person has a PS3 and a 360, it's still only one sale of the game. If he onl has one console it's still one sale. If you're going to buy FF, you're going to buy it, no matter what platform it's on, so ultimately they sales numbers in the end remain the same.

Edit: The only time a game gets "maximized" by going multi is if say GTA4 sold 24 million because Vice City only sold 12 million. Maximizing =/= getting the same amount of profit

You don't think that those games would have sold less on just one console?  There is no way that GTAIV makes it to nearly 12 million on only the PS3.

It certainly wouldn't have done it...under today's circumstances. But had it stayed exclusive, along with other games, PS3 sales would be up. Now, everytime something is even hinted at being PS3 exclusive, there's billions of rumors that it'll come to the 360.

But even still, under today's circumstances, MGS4 is on track to outsell MGS3 (whose userbase was over 100 million). Or is it some sort of weird anamoly that it sold as well as it did on the "userbase that isn't large enough to generate a profit and thus the game should have gone multiplatform"?

Since MGS has always been on the Playstation, I'm not too surprised by that.  The MGS fans have always owned Playstations and it is no different this gen.  I would guess that it is one of the few examples where this has happened.

For most games though, you want to have the opportunity sell your game to as many people as possible.  Since there are quite a few people with only one console, multiplat is usually the best option.

As for FFXIII in Japan, it's questionable if the 360 has the necessary install base to warrant a port.

As for your first point, a publisher should not be making decisions on what is best for the PS3.  They cannot count on future exclusives to help them out either.  It makes no sense to think like that.  A publisher must make decisions on what is best for their game at that moment in time.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
@ theRepublic

So The Last Remnant being timed exclusive was best for Square and gamers? Looking at it's current sales I would say, no. Had it been multiplatform involving PS3 as well I believe it would've performd significantly better. A PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy title, however, is guaranteed to sell like hotcakes and Square knows that. Square developed two big JRPGs for the 360 so far and neither of them performed great. FFXIII on PS3 will sell tons. I'm not hating on 360, I'm just being realistic.

I said multiplatform is a better option.  I agree with you.

BMaker11 said that exclusivity was just as good as muliplatform.  I disagree with him.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

CGI-Quality said:
@ theRepublic

I don't neccessarily like the idea of multiplatform games. I just don't understand why SE keeps making exclusive JRPGS for a system that's not selling them very well. If they keep them exclusive that's fine, I'd rather have tons of exclusives vs tons of multiplats, but I'm saying I doubt Square is happy with the sales figures of IU or TLR.

TLR and IU didn't sell very well because they were rushed to release.  Is it a coincidence that both of those games, especially TLR suffer from nearly game breaking technical issues?  No.  Also, S-E hyped up those two games in Japan but forgot to hype them in the West.  It's lazy marketing like this that makes people assume JRPGs are dead.  The sales figures for them declined in the last few years but they are far from dead.

Riachu said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ theRepublic

I don't neccessarily like the idea of multiplatform games. I just don't understand why SE keeps making exclusive JRPGS for a system that's not selling them very well. If they keep them exclusive that's fine, I'd rather have tons of exclusives vs tons of multiplats, but I'm saying I doubt Square is happy with the sales figures of IU or TLR.

TLR and IU didn't sell very well because they were rushed to release.  Is it a coincidence that both of those games, especially TLR suffer from nearly game breaking technical issues?  No.  Also, S-E hyped up those two games in Japan but forgot to hype them in the West.  It's lazy marketing like this that makes people assume JRPGs are dead.  The sales figures for them declined in the last few years but they are far from dead.

Are you serious? SquareEnix marketed that crap out of both games. There were commercials running on Spike, CBS, ESPN, Adultswim (cartoon network) and G4tv. Compared to the amount of airtime Resistance2 and MGS4 got, you might aswell give the SquareEnix Market team a raise. I can only speak for North America.

bbsin said:
Riachu said:
CGI-Quality said:
@ theRepublic

TLR and IU didn't sell very well because they were rushed to release. Is it a coincidence that both of those games, especially TLR suffer from nearly game breaking technical issues? No. Also, S-E hyped up those two games in Japan but forgot to hype them in the West. It's lazy marketing like this that makes people assume JRPGs are dead. The sales figures for them declined in the last few years but they are far from dead.

Are you serious? SquareEnix marketed that crap out of both games. There were commercials running on Spike, CBS, ESPN, Adultswim (cartoon network) and G4tv. Compared to the amount of airtime Resistance2 and MGS4 got, you might aswell give the SquareEnix Market team a raise. I can only speak for North America.

I think it might have something to do with the review scores they both got.  I say the commercial for IU but not for TLR.  I didn't even know there was a commercial for that game.

I don't know, either Sony payed Square, or Sony and Square know something I don't.