By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3/Xbox 360 sales gap for year lessens to under 400k

possibly at least 700K lead , end of year

Around the Network

An incredible turnaround, indeed. A few months ago the ps3 momentum appeared unstoppable.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

And I think it will continue into next year too, as next year there is going to be more financal problems which is hurting the PS3 badly. Good to see the 360 getting what is should have from the start. The PS3 should have done very well this year with the games and brand name, but MS have taken that away and been very successfull. It will be interesting to see what happens next gen with MS getting more brand loyalty (Which has helped Sony sell probably 50% of PS3 just because of the name).

go 360

Looks like the 360 will end up winning 2008 by about 1 million.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

I think props have to go out to both ms and sony. Sony at the start of the year knew that price drop this year was out of the question but to hold on to the sales they started in Nov they came out with many great bundle deals to go along with the big games they had which helped them keep the boost to sales. Many people wanted ms to drop the price of the 360 early in the year but props to them for holding out and not letting sony get to far ahead while keeping the 360 profitable and then droping the price at the right time almost world wide where it would have the most effect. Looking back I think both companys did the best they could and when all is siad and done I think ms will probably be a little happier simply because at the start of 2008 people were talking about how this was ging to be sonys year(I think people forgot about the wii) the articls were evrywhere. Props to both.

360 has always done very good during Christmas season but I have been very surprised at how it has all but eliminated the lead WW that the Ps3 had over it for the year in sales. If the PS3 will ever catch the 360 i dont think it wont be until mid 2010 to about the five year mark for the 360 witch will be kinda pointless to me

Yeah everyone thought this would be the PS3's year to take 2nd place, but it seems Microsoft had this figured out all along. Many people said MS was dead and they were on their way to last place fast. The big difference between Ms and Sony is the 360 is ahead by millions so they don't have to do much to win while Sony does. All the 360 has to do is sell evenly with the PS3 and MS wins 2nd place. Sony has to outright dominate and when looking back at the numbers they didn't do that at all. Especially when you compare the numbers the 360 is putting up against the PS3. Sony will have to do Wii-like numbers if they wanna make it to 2nd place and a bit more than DS numbers if they want 1st. Both of those outcomes seem highly unlikely at this point.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

The price cut was a huge move for MS and I cant believe the comeback they are making this year. Great timing on the cut, and they should win by .5 to 1 million which will keep them squarly in second for years to come

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

well that is something, it took year and a holiday season to reduce the lead to around 5M but now its all gone and looks to improve on the old margin. How long till the PS3 gets back to the pre fall level