By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, 97 at Metacritic!PS2 IS NOT DEAD!

Anyways, I'm going out to get this game right now.

Around the Network

@ Benga

And I really reccomend you find a way to play Valkyria Chronicles!

I definitely will. Right now I'm playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, so my SRPG hunger is stilled for a while. Don't know when Persona 4 will come to Europe, but I think it will take a looooong time.

It was not an expensive game by any means.

I guess that depends on whether the development of the canvas engine will be totally booked on Valkyria's balance sheet.

For a series without the mass media exposure it isn't as easy to bow out like FFXIII. They'll have to consider where their fans are. The fact that the spend more time sending us mail with various information than doing any promotion speaks volumes about their priorities. This is why when all the dust is settled, I think P5 would be on ps2 anyway.

We do agree on that. I only think there'll be a Wii version on the side. And you should really consider a Nintendo platform. Fire Emblem alone is almost worth it.

For the people that kept trying to say this game is a little niche rpg and that means it is heading for the Wii. Persona started to shift away from being a little gothic niche rpg when Persona 3: FES came out and was given a 10 from Play and an 8.8 from IGN much higher scores than any 360 jrpg released so far. However, this 9.7 on Metacritic takes it out of the niche rpg group. Now it is something that could have happened for the Tales series or the Mist Walker games but for some reason they just weren't good enough. What it does do for Persona is it puts it up there with GTA, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gears of War, Final Fantasy the elite titles in gaming.

The Persona series has just become a very hot commodity. The next game in the series is going to be Meat Loaf in 1977 with Bat Out of Hell, Metallica in 1991 with the Black Album, and Marilyn Manson in 1997 with Antichrist Superstar. It has become the GTA of rpgs and as Chris Jericho would say, "A sexy beast!" I don't think there can be any way that Microsoft isn't interested in bringing the next game in this series to the 360, and in making Persona 5 their big game of the holiday season '09. Its sales will be fueled by hype and notoriety with Christian groups throughout the USA standing up in arms against this "Satanic game that MS will be bringing to the market during the Christmas season."  It will be discussed for days on various Christian broadcasting stations and Fox News generating the same type of clamor for the game that was generated for metal music from such sources during its best days in the eighties.  And, I predict that Microsoft is even going to commission a special edition shiny black 360 with red and green flames running down the sides to go along with the release.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Yeah of course, I said it before Persona 4 the JRPG of the year!

I guess they are going to work especially on the HD consoles because they are expanding to the PC aswell. But everything is possible last generation they even bring a SMT to the Xbox.

konnichiwa said:

I guess they are going to work especially on the HD consoles because they are expanding to the PC aswell. But everything is possible last generation they even bring a SMT to the Xbox.

I still can't understand that decision...I wanted to play NINE (they should have put it on PS2), another SMT is always good. Oh, well, shame on Atlus

I'm glad of the reviews this one's been getting, if it's like everybody says better than P3, then it's bound to be the best PS2 game ever

Around the Network

1st page of comments is just wrong. "I dont think Nintendo wants people shooting themselves in the head" "Its too violent for Wii"

MADWORLD says Hello.
I want to play a persona so bad. If I ever see Persona 3 in the wild I'll buy it eve though I dont own a PS2.=P I hope they bring one over to the Wii.

@BTFeather55
What do you have against the Wii? You really dont want it getting a Persona game.

zexen_lowe said:
konnichiwa said:

I still can't understand that decision...I wanted to play NINE (they should have put it on PS2), another SMT is always good. Oh, well, shame on Atlus

I'm glad of the reviews this one's been getting, if it's like everybody says better than P3, then it's bound to be the best PS2 game ever

I totally forgot about nine. I could've sworn I heard it was no good though. I have an xbox so I'll do some research but I doubt I'll even be able to find the game now

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

BTFeather55 said:

For the people that kept trying to say this game is a little niche rpg and that means it is heading for the Wii. Persona started to shift away from being a little gothic niche rpg when Persona 3: FES came out and was given a 10 from Play and an 8.8 from IGN much higher scores than any 360 jrpg released so far. However, this 9.7 on Metacritic takes it out of the niche rpg group. Now it is something that could have happened for the Tales series or the Mist Walker games but for some reason they just weren't good enough. What it does do for Persona is it puts it up there with GTA, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, God of War, Gears of War, Final Fantasy the elite titles in gaming.

The Persona series has just become a very hot commodity. The next game in the series is going to be Meat Loaf in 1977 with Bat Out of Hell, Metallica in 1991 with the Black Album, and Marilyn Manson in 1997 with Antichrist Superstar. It has become the GTA of rpgs and as Chris Jericho would say, "A sexy beast!" I don't think there can be any way that Microsoft isn't interested in bringing the next game in this series to the 360, and in making Persona 5 their big game of the holiday season '09. Its sales will be fueled by hype and notoriety with Christian groups throughout the USA standing up in arms against this "Satanic game that MS will be bringing to the market during the Christmas season." It will be discussed for days on various Christian broadcasting stations and Fox News generating the same type of clamor for the game that was generated for metal music from such sources during its best days in the eighties. And, I predict that Microsoft is even going to commission a special edition shiny black 360 with red and green flames running down the sides to go along with the release.

The league Persona is in is more like the ICO/SotC league.  Which means that the series will get high scores but it won't get the sales they deserve.

BengaBenga said:
@ Benga

And I really reccomend you find a way to play Valkyria Chronicles!

I definitely will. Right now I'm playing Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, so my SRPG hunger is stilled for a while. Don't know when Persona 4 will come to Europe, but I think it will take a looooong time.

It was not an expensive game by any means.

I guess that depends on whether the development of the canvas engine will be totally booked on Valkyria's balance sheet.

For a series without the mass media exposure it isn't as easy to bow out like FFXIII. They'll have to consider where their fans are. The fact that the spend more time sending us mail with various information than doing any promotion speaks volumes about their priorities. This is why when all the dust is settled, I think P5 would be on ps2 anyway.

We do agree on that. I only think there'll be a Wii version on the side. And you should really consider a Nintendo platform. Fire Emblem alone is almost worth it.

I'm not really big on SRPGs and the hardcore fans on the genre always suggest FF:tactics first. I haven't even played that one yet and VC is there too. I already possess the ability to play those and many more like: Eternal poison(recent), Stella Deus and others before buying a wii for fire emblem.

I'm not the biggest fan of multi-console ownership because I already have 2 external hard drives, a usb hub, 2 speaker sets, a laptop, ps3, HDTV, router and a modem in my room and really need to get rid of the wiring and devices. I strive for movability but can never seem to get rid of the clutter.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler