By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who do you want to run against Obama in 2010?

Comrade Tovya said:
Jackson50 said:
Palin would be a disaster. I am shocked and stupefied that people are considering her a viable candidate. Mark my words, Newt Gingrich will be the Republican nominee in 2012.

You're probably right.. real people who act like human beings don't make good politicians.  She's not "political" enough.

I love Newt though, I would love for him to our candidate.  My cousin is actually a colleague and friends of his, and he's pretty genuine.

No, real people who act like human beings would make excellent politicians...if they can demonstrate knowledge and competence. In my opinion, she demonstrated neither of those traits. She could not name one Supreme Court decision (other than Roe v. Wade) she disagreed with or one publication she read to remain abreast of foreign matters. Come on, Palin! How could you not provide cupcake answers such as Kelo v. New London or Time magazine? She was a disaster of a veep nominee, and she would be even more of a disaster as a presidential nominee. 

Around the Network

I'm actually a pretty open minded guy overall.. I'm pretty moderate on most social issues, but wow, do you ever say anything nice about any conservative?

She actually was quite competent, and did a very nice job in the debate against Biden.

But I've already talked enough to you between this thread and the other thread, to know well enough that anyone with a conservative outlook, either fiscal or social, will get a thumbs down on every detail by you.

Just because a liberal disagrees with a principal of mine doesn't mean I can't see their good points as well. I have the ability to say kind words about people, including liberals. I don't see the world in black & white, as there are gray areas as well.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
I'm actually a pretty open minded guy overall.. I'm pretty moderate on most social issues, but wow, do you ever say anything nice about any conservative?

She actually was quite competent, and did a very nice job in the debate against Biden.

But I've already talked enough to you between this thread and the other thread, to know well enough that anyone with a conservative outlook, either fiscal or social, will get a thumbs down on every detail by you.

Just because a liberal disagrees with a principal of mine doesn't mean I can't see their good points as well. I have the ability to say kind words about people, including liberals. I don't see the world in black & white, as there are gray areas as well.

Have you ever heard the old adage regarding assumptions? In the other thread you assumed I did not believe in the Bible, and now you assume I will criticize anyone with a fiscally conservative outlook. I may hold some liberal positions on certain social issues, but my economic positions are more conservative. In fact, I have challenged many members on their assertion that FDR and the New Deal ended the Depression. Ask any of the posters who have regularly interacted with me and they will attest that I am no liberal on economic issues.

Relative to the fact that she was the nominee for vice president, she was far from competent. She may be a good person and a good mother, but the job of president and vice president are beyond her faculties. 

*edit* Yes, I say nice things about a myriad of conservatives. For instance, I have always spoke glowingly of Robert Taft.

Comrade Tovya said:

Oh come on, it's reasonable to say that Palin is a passable politician, but she is by no means well-versed on the issues.  Her debate performance was little more than a recitation of a script (which she essentially admitted during the debate).  This may change in four years if she gets some training, but she certainly was not the epitome of social policy and foreign policy expertise on the campaign trail.  If I were grading her, I'd say the best I would give her was a C+.  At least she did better than Dan Quayle.

And Jackson is a libertarian and has one of the most consistently fiscally conservative viewpoints out of anyone on this website.  I am frankly surprised that so many fiscal conservatives have stood by the Republicans, as Republicans have turned fiscal conservatism into a mockery of what it used to be pre-Reagan and ESPECIALLY pre-Bush the W.

Essentially fiscal conservatism as the Republican Party has defined it in the last decade or two is low taxes and lax regulations.  Not low spending, and not necessarily less government (although they consistently beat the anti-government drum).  Spending money you don't have is the exact opposite of fiscal conservatism.  At least the Democrats are willing to collect money first and then spend it.

My main complaint about the Republicans on economic policies as of late is that they act like taxes are the absolute devil.  If it was up to them, we probably wouldn't pay any.  Don't ask me how the government would run itself if that were true.  The Republican Party has essentially developed what I call the "tax-cut reflex."  If an economic problem arises, they bandy about the idea of a tax cut.  When the financial crisis on Wall Street happened, some of them recommending cutting taxes on the very institutions they were about to put taxpayer money into.  It's become ridiculous to the point where they are like Pavlov's dogs.  I could ring a bell and they would probably shout out "tax cuts!"

I am not against tax cuts in the least, but why the hell would you cut taxes while the deficit is soaring?  Even George Bush Sr. knew that was just plain stupid and called it "voodoo economics."  Republicans need to get their act together on fiscal policy.  Its ridiculous now that they are clamoring about the Democrats spending taxpayer money (during a recession, when the government does actually have justification to spend more) while they ran up deficits on a yearly basis during good economic years (while a member of their own party held the Presidency no less).  Its just plain ludicrous that Republicans still act like they are fiscal conservatives when their actions clearly reveal that they are not.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

That's all any politician does during a debate Akuma. Recite a script they've been prepped with.

McCain, Biden and Obama all did the same thing. It just wasn't as noticeable.

Every candidate is given a huge script before the debates. That's why debate prep takes so much time.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

That's all any politician does during a debate Akuma. Recite a script they've been prepped with.

Every candidate is given a huge script before the debates. That's why debate prep takes so much time.

What you are saying is true, but you are looking at things in the abstract.  And Obama actually is advocating a tax cut for the majority of Americans plus a stimulus package.

But the fact that our national debt is over $9 trillion could be disastrous in the future.  It would be irresponsible to keep dropping taxes when the debt is as high as it already is.  If we had $0 in debt, I'd be all for a tax cut, but that isn't the case.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Kasz216 said:

What you are saying is true, but you are looking at things in the abstract.  And Obama actually is advocating a tax cut for the majority of Americans plus a stimulus package.

But the fact that our national debt is over $9 trillion could be disastrous in the future.  It would be irresponsible to keep dropping taxes when the debt is as high as it already is.  If we had $0 in debt, I'd be all for a tax cut, but that isn't the case.

The reason republicans aren't fiscally conservative anymore is because democrats aren't fiscally conservative and it's a dozen times easier to get spending bills passed then it is to get spending cuts passed.

If you aren't getting a big piece of the pie your constitutiants are wondering why the blue disctricts are getting so much more of the national taxpayer money.

Republicans and Democrats fight over the budget... and aren't willing to compromise.  If the democrats are going to get so much money for their plans, the republicans want at least as much money for their plans or it looks bad on them.  Etc.

That's the problem.  For one party to be fiscally conservative they both do in the modern times.

akuma587 said:
Comrade Tovya said:

Oh come on, it's reasonable to say that Palin is a passable politician, but she is by no means well-versed on the issues.  Her debate performance was little more than a recitation of a script (which she essentially admitted during the debate).  This may change in four years if she gets some training, but she certainly was not the epitome of social policy and foreign policy expertise on the campaign trail.  If I were grading her, I'd say the best I would give her was a C+.  At least she did better than Dan Quayle.

And Jackson is a libertarian and has one of the most consistently fiscally conservative viewpoints out of anyone on this website.  I am frankly surprised that so many fiscal conservatives have stood by the Republicans, as Republicans have turned fiscal conservatism into a mockery of what it used to be pre-Reagan and ESPECIALLY pre-Bush the W.

Essentially fiscal conservatism as the Republican Party has defined it in the last decade or two is low taxes and lax regulations.  Not low spending, and not necessarily less government (although they consistently beat the anti-government drum).  Spending money you don't have is the exact opposite of fiscal conservatism.  At least the Democrats are willing to collect money first and then spend it.

My main complaint about the Republicans on economic policies as of late is that they act like taxes are the absolute devil.  If it was up to them, we probably wouldn't pay any.  Don't ask me how the government would run itself if that were true.  The Republican Party has essentially developed what I call the "tax-cut reflex."  If an economic problem arises, they bandy about the idea of a tax cut.  When the financial crisis on Wall Street happened, some of them recommending cutting taxes on the very institutions they were about to put taxpayer money into.  It's become ridiculous to the point where they are like Pavlov's dogs.  I could ring a bell and they would probably shout out "tax cuts!"

I am not against tax cuts in the least, but why the hell would you cut taxes while the deficit is soaring?  Even George Bush Sr. knew that was just plain stupid and called it "voodoo economics."  Republicans need to get their act together on fiscal policy.  Its ridiculous now that they are clamoring about the Democrats spending taxpayer money (during a recession, when the government does actually have justification to spend more) while they ran up deficits on a yearly basis during good economic years (while a member of their own party held the Presidency no less).  Its just plain ludicrous that Republicans still act like they are fiscal conservatives when their actions clearly reveal that they are not.

Ok, first and foremost, let's not dip into the "scripted" politician subject, because it's well known the Obama was the "tele-prompter" candidate this election.

Secondly, Biden continued to provide false answers as the debate raged on.... which is something that is provable, unlike the assertion that Palin was "coached".

As for "fiscal" Republicans, I actually agree with most of what you say about them.  They are not conservative enough for my tastes.  But in all fairness, on the reasons for spending by both Reagan & the lastest Bush, they were both associated with war (Reagan's Coldwar & Bush's War on Terror). 

This bailout that Bush so adamently pushed for was the straw that broke the camels back for me.  I think the bailout is a crock, and waste of our money, whether it be inflationary or tax wise.

As for your assertion, "[Republicans] act like taxes are the absolute devil.  If it was up to them, we probably wouldn't pay any", that is just absurd.  No Republican has ever called for or supported the concept of zero taxe.  True fiscal Conservatives believe in trimming the fat from the budget, thus freeing up funds for tax breaks.  Examples of wasteful spending include:

* Unused flight tickets and double paying for the same tickets (instead of getting refunds on fully refundable tickets) for a total of $100-million

* Government employee credit card fraud for purchases that include, but are not limited to, Ozzy Ozborne concert tickets, lingerie, etc, in some departments the credit card fraud totaled $5.8-million

* Medicare waste.  There are documented cases of Medicare paying out 8 times more for a single item than other branches of the government do.   One such example is Saline solution, where Medicare was paying over $8.00 per bottle, and the Dept of Veterans Affairs was only paying $1.02 for the same bottle.  Outdated cost database?  Fraud?  Who knows?  Either way it's a waste of taxpayer funds.

* $21.8-billion dollars in defaulted government backed student loans.  A large number of the defaulted loans are a result of fraud, because that agency is no actually verifying information prior to authorizing the funds.  They are often rubber-stamping loan requests to fake students by fake colleges that don't even exist. 

* Duplicate government agencies performing the same duties.  Once a new one is created, the old one is never fazed out or consolidated into the new agency... examples include:

342 economic development programs;
      130 programs serving the disabled;
      130 programs serving at-risk youth;
      90 early childhood development programs;
      75 programs funding international education, cultural, and training exchange activities;
      72 federal programs dedicated to assuring safe water;
      50 homeless assistance programs;
      45 federal agencies conducting federal crimi­nal investigations;
      40 separate employment and training pro­grams;
      28 rural development programs;
      27 teen pregnancy programs;
      26 small, extraneous K–12 school grant pro­grams;
      23 agencies providing aid to the former Soviet republics;
      19 programs fighting substance abuse;
      17 rural water and waste-water programs in eight agencies;
      17 trade agencies monitoring 400 interna­tional trade agreements;
      12 food safety agencies;
      11 principal statistics agencies; and
      4 overlapping land management agencies

Long story short, it's not tax-cuts alone, but rather trimming the fat, freeing up funds, and thus having the ability to cut out taxes.  That is what fiscal conservatism is about.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Heh what this remidns me the most of was the head of the Department of Veterans affairs.

Someone in Congress was trying to increase his budget and he just kept saying "No we have enough money, we're doing good, anymore we wouldn't even know what to do with."

While the senator was suggesting they stop outsourcing stuff and doing other things... with the VA guy saying it would just be wasteful and not improve quality in any way.

That was the most fun i've ever had watching C-SPAN.

Kasz216 said:
Heh what this remidns me the most of was the head of the Department of Veterans affairs.

Someone in Congress was trying to increase his budget and he just kept saying "No we have enough money, we're doing good, anymore we wouldn't even know what to do with."

While the senator was suggesting they stop outsourcing stuff and doing other things... with the VA guy saying it would just be wasteful and not improve quality in any way.

That was the most fun i've ever had watching C-SPAN.

LOL, yeah, I've seen C-SPAN hearings like that. 

Even though I am against the bailout, I did find the bailout hearings interesting.

One of the commitee members would ask,

"Why is a bailout necessary Mr. Paulson?"

He would give the 3-min. answer.

Next commitee member...

"Okay Mr. Paulson, my constituents would like to know why the bailout is necessary?"

<sigh> Same 3-min. answer

Next commitee member...

"Now Mr. Paulson, what the American people want me to ask you is, why is the bailout necessary?"

frustration mounting, same 3-min. answer...

2-hours later in hearings, same thing, over and over and over.

If I were him, I would have just shot myself to save myself the agony of repeating myself for 2 hours straight.

It was classic.

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya