By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Killzone 2: Life beyond the zone?

Most of us who watched the videos showing the capabilities of the engine that fuels Killzone 2 have seen that it excels in every graphical aspect - textures, lighting, special effects, animations, runs very smooth at 720p at a constant 30 fps.

This engine, built and optimised to squeeze everything out of the PS3, can be used in more games than KZ2 - IMO it could become a sort of a standard engine for the Sony FP... I don't think that it's only FPS games that it can do... how about letting Insomniac (who are not FP, but very close to Sony), SCE Santa Monica (I still beleive that that KZ2 will look better than GoW 3 =P) or Naughty Dog try it? let them improve on it? (I know they'd prefer their own engines, but hey, let 'em try =P) all studios, especially Naughty Dog, are very proficent with graphics... I think we could see awesome looking games from them - built around the KZ2 engine.

What do you guys think?

P.S: If this thread stays alive till we see gameplay footage of GoW 3, this engine comes into the equation too.

Around the Network

Yeah the KZ2 engine is great, wonder if they could use it for other games

You should keep in mind that the Killzone 2 engine was created with Killzone 2's art style and needs in mind. It wouldn't work so well for something like, say, GoWIII.

I wouldn't be suprised if other Sony devs used a modified version of the engine for their own games, though.

Hyams said:
You should keep in mind that the Killzone 2 engine was created with Killzone 2's art style and needs in mind. It wouldn't work so well for something like, say, GoWIII.

I wouldn't be suprised if other Sony devs used a modified version of the engine for their own games, though.

Eh,that has nothing to do wiht the engine,the engine is what runs the codes for the AI and all that,your talking about a hole different thing.

It could be used for it.

Not God of War III. They probably have a great engine for that already.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

The engine seems great. I'm sure more games will be using it, or modified version of it.

4 ≈ One

i expect a copy of the engine and tools will be added to the toolkit at GDC

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

There're 6 threads about Killzone 2 just in the 1st page. Oh dear

alfredofroylan said:
There're 6 threads about Killzone 2 just in the 1st page. Oh dear

The Hype train is rolling along quite smoothly isn't it?

4 ≈ One

The engine must have cost a lot to make, Sony will want to make good use of it but what comes to mind is Insomniac using the engine for Resistance 3. Santa Monica probably made there own engine and same for naughty god.

With that said, what engine are Polyphony Digital using? That must be a monster, also wonder what Team ICO are using........hmmmmmm