By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Makes a Game "Mature"?

Khuutra said:
Bodhesatva said:
rocketpig said:
Boobies.

Actually, I believe a game's ability to force one to think is what makes it mature. That could be through storyline, gameplay mechanics, themes, etc.

It's the same thing as believing that Watership Down is more mature than Starship Troopers, despite Watership Down being an animated film about rabbits while Starship Troopers is laced with violence and bewbs.

I almost entirely agree with Rocketpig, who I haven't talked to in forever and missed a great deal, btw.

This can comprise anything from Tetris to Chess to Braid.

Braid is one of the few "OMG ART!" games in recent times (including MGS, Bioshock,GTA and a few others) that I felt actually was reasonably sophisticated. We're not talking Shakespeare yet, here, but baby steps are good. As someone who has become disgusted with the facile, sophomoric stories that game reviewers have become fixated on, that was a pleasant surprise.

I'd also likely include something like Wii Fit, which does not work your brain, but does work your body. Concern over health and fitness is definitely a mature concern. This one is arguable, though.

Man appreciating Starship Troopers for what it is isn't THAT bad. There's more to it than boobies!

And I would defend Bioshock's storytelling. It's the first game that ever made me want to put the game down and stop playing - not because it was bad, but just to spite one of the characters. The plot twist played nicely with how we approach games.

Yeah, the Starship Troopers part I wasn't really responding to. It certainly isn't a highly sophisticated piece, but I understood its allegorical denouncement of Communism.

And I also agree that Bioshock's story wasn't mind numbingly stupid (which, in honesty, is how I would describe the story arch of the MGS series), I just wouldn't give it "work of art" or "mature" status.

Let's cut this part of the conversation short though, Kuutra, I really don't want to bog the thread down with list wars or "this counts" or "that doesn't count" arguments.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Yessir.

I think maturity is about a game being comfortable in its own space - it has more to do with the creative maturity of the designer and their own ability to utilize and manipulate how people approach the medium. The Metal Gear Solid series in this sense is not "mature" because Kojima's still kind of hamfisted about how he approaches the medium, whereas Fumito Ueda is a very mature designer because he knows how to do things with games that one could not do with film or literature.

Hey, I'm not bashing Starship Troopers. I enjoy the film and its over-the-top satire. I'm just pointing out that it's not very sophisticated. It takes a few jabs at politics, the military, etc but it's not terribly well done overall.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

You would be surprised how many people miss the fact that it's satire

It always bugs me when people are like "That movie was a bad action movie and I bet the book was shitty in just the same way"

True. It's sad how so many think the movie takes itself seriously.

And the book and movie are nearly unrelated past the title.

Around the Network

Ironically according to my definition Starship Troopers would be a fairly mature video game.

It all comes full circle.

In more skilled hands than Verhooven (sp?), I might agree. Far too heavy-handed for my tastes, but that's just me.

Verhoeven's a peach, but no, I wouldn't give it to him. He's not what I would call an especially mature filmmaker, much less having what it takes to make games.

Of course the sequels would still be terrible.

But I think part of what defines mature games is that they need to be games, and games primarily. Not films! Films are not what we want here. You want to make films, you go to Hollywood.

Maybe it's off topic but what is gamer obssession with the whole "mature" thing exacly? I mean, do the normal person care if the movie they watch is "mature"? Considering Adam Sandler sucess, i'll go with a big fat no, so why game? I understand that the gaming demographic are mainly male kid and young adult, an age where one is more concerned about the subject (it go for female as well) but it seem even older gamer care about the subject.

Why? I mean, after a certain one stop being concerned about "being mature", which is actually a good barometer, if you stop thingking about the subject you are either in fact mature or have not yet hit puberty, so why do they care if this particular game is or not? Matury isn't based on what game you play but in the responsablity one have, and take care of, in his life, not what one do to distract himself when he get a few hour of free time. I mean, would you consider a father playing a children game with is son immature?

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

"Mature" in this case does not necessarily mean "adult" or "pandering to the taste of adults". It can also mean a piece of media that is fully realized as a form of expression, which has come into its own regardless of its subject matter.