By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii/360/PS3 million sellers stackup!

@sega4life: But the Wii Remotes are sold separately. If you want only the controller, you just go and buy the controller. If you want Wii Play, you just buy Wii Play and the controller with it. If you wanted Wii Play, without the controller, tough luck, that was expensive Wii Play.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

ok so by your view it would be ok if we compare the sales of the Wii know to the sales of the ps3 and 360 the day they launched.

games are games.
I dont understand why it isnt ok to count them.
The ps3 and 360 have had like over 20 different games bundled with their console over the past two or 3 years why dont we discount thoughs games.
MGS4?? why is it that sales of that game still count??
When it comes to Nintendo its ok to discount the ONLY game they have had bundled.

wow dumb thread

hello how are you.

BengaBenga said:
sega4life said:

Wii Sports is a Demo Disc to show how the Wiimote can be used in different ways, how people still consider it a game is beyond me.

When I worked at Gamestop, for many months the only time you could get your hands on a Wiimote was to get Wiiplay.

People did just buy WiiPlay for the Wiimote, and the $10 more for a game like Wiisports was a +.. BUT.. Wiiplay wasn't like Wiisports as people came to find out and would open the box after buying Wiiplay and trade in the game to get the $10.00 back in trade in value, so many people did this that Gamestop changed the trade in value of the game to $6.00 last year during the holidays.

If Wii Play was sold by itself it would not be a million seller, and would have faded away, but the only way you can get the game is if you buy the bundle..

Do you think I would have bought Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda if they wouldn't have come with the 360?

well I guess that depends on if you like those games or not...

Lego is a great game, I never played Kung Fu, but my kids loved the demo.

Also Holiday bundles vs life (only way you get the game) bundles....

WiiPlay is yet another demo disc of mini games.

@bdbdbd: yes I know that, I was explaing that to you.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

@sega4life: And that's the thing i was explaining to you. So, what you actually are saying, is that Wii Play drives controller sales and not the opposite, which is the issue with the OP.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
@sega4life: And that's the thing i was explaining to you. So, what you actually are saying, is that Wii Play drives controller sales and not the opposite, which is the issue with the OP.

I'm saying:

like last year, the only time you got your hands on a Wiimote was to get Wiiplay, and like this year, when walking through a Wal*Mart, Best-Buy, and Circuit City last Friday, I saw no Wiimotes, but kiosks half filled with Wiiplay.

Also look at Others* numbers below, suddenly WiiPlay is a huge hit that everyone just had to have, or lack of Wiimotes on them market and the only way to get them was to buy a bundle.

Others Top 5, 29th Nov 2008

1 Wii Sports 502,810
2 Mario Kart Wii 230,735
3 Wii Fit 205,870
4 Wii Play 154,810
5 Resistance 2 141,877

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network
Zucas said:
I stopped reading after the removal of Wii Play and Wii Sports. I mean if we are going to do this we might as well remove every game that's been bundled. Uncharted, Forza 2, MGS4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Lego Indiana Jones, Viva Pinata, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Motorstorm to name a few. I mean of course by your logic we must assume buyer motive to buying it was for the bundle that wasn't the software and not the software itself.

And with your logic of removing Wii Play, we must also remove all Guitar Heros, Rock Bands, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, or any other product that includes hardware in it. Once again by your logic we must assume the majority buy was for that of the hardware and not htat of the software.

You see their is a problem with your logic and that is... well for one your logic doesn't exist. There is none present in your reason for removing any title off the list especially when its biasedly done to take certain titles out. Secondly you assume reasons as to why a consumer bought something instead of taking the simplest answer: that they are buying the entire product which includes the software. Meaning bundles with hardware should be included when discussing this because when the bundle was bought the software was being bought as well and knowingly so. Hell that doesn't even matter anyways whether they know they were buying it because they still bought it.

You can't argue dominance of a purchase with bundles because there is no sound reasoning to it which you clearly proved to us.

Ok, how many times do I have to say this?  I think sega4life is the only one that caught on.  I don't count Wii Sports and Wii Play because they are not full games.  They are the equivalent of bundling an arcade game package with the system, or a demo disc like sega said.  I don't count these games because if they sold by themselves, they would sell for $10 or less.

Now, about not counting games like Guitar Hero and the sort, you are sadly mistaken about my logic.  Those games, it is NECESSARY to have those controllers, and the games themselves also sell separately for full price, which is not the equivalent of an arcade game, like Wii Sports and Wii Play are.  Mario Kart Wii comes with a driving wheel, but that has no purpose at all since it has no buttons or function.  It merely is a controler case.  People don't buy Guitar Hero and Mario Kart Wii for the guitar controller or the wheel, they buy them for the game, and the controller is a needed add-on, the wheel is a helpful but not necessary add-on.

The games Wii Sports and Wii Play are short, minigame, arcade style games.  They would sell for $10 or less as an arcade game, which is mostly why I do not include them.  All other bundles were of full retail games, so I did not touch those.  Since arcade sales are not included, I felt that Wii Sports and Wii Play should not be included, no matter how much they would have sold without the bundling, they would have sold for the equivalent of an arcade game.

@sega4life: Or maybe people want Wii Play now, that the Wii Supply and demand is up?
Of course people buy Wii Plays more often, when standalone controllers aren't available, but by your logic, we should have constant supply constrain on Wii Remotes.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

nightsurge said:
Zucas said:
I stopped reading after the removal of Wii Play and Wii Sports. I mean if we are going to do this we might as well remove every game that's been bundled. Uncharted, Forza 2, MGS4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Lego Indiana Jones, Viva Pinata, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Motorstorm to name a few. I mean of course by your logic we must assume buyer motive to buying it was for the bundle that wasn't the software and not the software itself.

And with your logic of removing Wii Play, we must also remove all Guitar Heros, Rock Bands, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, or any other product that includes hardware in it. Once again by your logic we must assume the majority buy was for that of the hardware and not htat of the software.

You see their is a problem with your logic and that is... well for one your logic doesn't exist. There is none present in your reason for removing any title off the list especially when its biasedly done to take certain titles out. Secondly you assume reasons as to why a consumer bought something instead of taking the simplest answer: that they are buying the entire product which includes the software. Meaning bundles with hardware should be included when discussing this because when the bundle was bought the software was being bought as well and knowingly so. Hell that doesn't even matter anyways whether they know they were buying it because they still bought it.

You can't argue dominance of a purchase with bundles because there is no sound reasoning to it which you clearly proved to us.

Ok, how many times do I have to say this?  I think sega4life is the only one that caught on.  I don't count Wii Sports and Wii Play because they are not full games.  They are the equivalent of bundling an arcade game package with the system, or a demo disc like sega said.  I don't count these games because if they sold by themselves, they would sell for $10 or less.

Now, about not counting games like Guitar Hero and the sort, you are sadly mistaken about my logic.  Those games, it is NECESSARY to have those controllers, and the games themselves also sell separately for full price, which is not the equivalent of an arcade game, like Wii Sports and Wii Play are.  Mario Kart Wii comes with a driving wheel, but that has no purpose at all since it has no buttons or function.  It merely is a controler case.  People don't buy Guitar Hero and Mario Kart Wii for the guitar controller or the wheel, they buy them for the game, and the controller is a needed add-on, the wheel is a helpful but not necessary add-on.

The games Wii Sports and Wii Play are short, minigame, arcade style games.  They would sell for $10 or less as an arcade game, which is mostly why I do not include them.  All other bundles were of full retail games, so I did not touch those.  Since arcade sales are not included, I felt that Wii Sports and Wii Play should not be included, no matter how much they would have sold without the bundling, they would have sold for the equivalent of an arcade game.

Wii sports retails for $40 in Japan, and has sold in excess of 3 million......so that's been debunked.

@ nightsurge

You still haven't admitted how unfair it is to compare wii software sales in 2 years to 360 software sales in it's third year.

If wii sports is just a "demo" that "would sell for $10 or less," why have the Japanese bought 3 million copies of it where they cost $30.

Actually I know of a few people that bought wii play just for the game. So why are you discounting them?

My solution if I was doing a list like this would be to take like half of wii play sales away and maybe 1/3 of wii sports sales away.

Finally, how can you argue that Nintendo needs new IPs from a financial perspective? New IPs are financial wild cards and are very risky, while continuing an established name is a safer bet

/thread

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

nordlead said:
seece said:
Unfortuantly you can't unbundle the wii games because others call for viva and the likes to be unbundled.

That said people know Wii Sports is different ... viva is with margin of error in terms of the overall sales, wii Sports would NOT of sold anywhere frigging close to what it has if it was unpacked.

look like 2 posts above yours. It managed 46% in Japan alone. You could count 30% (~10m) of total sales, which might be reasonable, but you have no argument for 0 sales. Also, not counting Wii Play is just crap. No idiot would buy Wii play if they really didn't want it, as controllers can be bought for cheaper.

Just admit that you are grasping at straws to make it look like the Wii hasn't destroyed the competition.

I wasn't talking about Wii Play, and I never said 0 Sales. Stop putting words in my mouth, I said nowhere near. - 10mill is A LOT.

Wii Destoryed PS3 in these terms but it isn't exactly miles ahead when it comes to the 360 ..