By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii/360/PS3 million sellers stackup!

Wii Sports is a Demo Disc to show how the Wiimote can be used in different ways, how people still consider it a game is beyond me.

When I worked at Gamestop, for many months the only time you could get your hands on a Wiimote was to get Wiiplay.

People did just buy WiiPlay for the Wiimote, and the $10 more for a game like Wiisports was a +.. BUT.. Wiiplay wasn't like Wiisports as people came to find out and would open the box after buying Wiiplay and trade in the game to get the $10.00 back in trade in value, so many people did this that Gamestop changed the trade in value of the game to $6.00 last year during the holidays.

If Wii Play was sold by itself it would not be a million seller, and would have faded away, but the only way you can get the game is if you buy the bundle..

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

There are of course reasons why these games sell a ton of copies, but it doesn't change the fact that these pieces of software have sold many, many millions of copies. To me, discounting games such as Halo 3 and GTA4 makes as much sense as discounting Wii Play, since Halo and GTA are just updates to games that were made successful on past consoles...should the 360 deserve the credit for what the Xbox and PS2 built?

Yes that sounds silly, but to me just as silly as the argument against Wii Play. And we're also not including VC, Wiiware, and XBLA games either...so the whole software sales comparison is actually pretty silly anyway!

This is stupid. A Wii can´t really be used for anything other than playing games. If all the people who are buying Wiis didn´t get Wii Sports bundled theyd have to buy other games just so they could make use of the system. Furthermore many people are getting Wii only so they can play Wii Sports, it´s one of the most popular and most played games on the system.

The same goes for Wii Play. Many people are buying it because they want the game. Otherwise they could just buy a Wii remote (it´s cheaper).

I stopped reading after the removal of Wii Play and Wii Sports. I mean if we are going to do this we might as well remove every game that's been bundled. Uncharted, Forza 2, MGS4, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, Lego Indiana Jones, Viva Pinata, Sonic and the Secret Rings, and Motorstorm to name a few. I mean of course by your logic we must assume buyer motive to buying it was for the bundle that wasn't the software and not the software itself.

And with your logic of removing Wii Play, we must also remove all Guitar Heros, Rock Bands, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, or any other product that includes hardware in it. Once again by your logic we must assume the majority buy was for that of the hardware and not htat of the software.

You see their is a problem with your logic and that is... well for one your logic doesn't exist. There is none present in your reason for removing any title off the list especially when its biasedly done to take certain titles out. Secondly you assume reasons as to why a consumer bought something instead of taking the simplest answer: that they are buying the entire product which includes the software. Meaning bundles with hardware should be included when discussing this because when the bundle was bought the software was being bought as well and knowingly so. Hell that doesn't even matter anyways whether they know they were buying it because they still bought it.

You can't argue dominance of a purchase with bundles because there is no sound reasoning to it which you clearly proved to us.

Hang on.... why was the trade in value at $10 in the first place.... surely the trade in value is supposed to be lower than the price they can sell the game on again for, who in their right might would buy Wii Play for more than $10 without the remote?

Me thinks either you are mistaken or your gamestop is incredibly stupid (or am I missing something and trade in is nothing to do with 2nd hand sales?)

Around the Network

@Sega4life: But Wii Play is selling by itself. Or, did people buy Wii Plays only when the Wii Remote wasn't available without Wii Play?

@OP: We can debate whether Wii Sports should be count in or not and to what extent, but Wii Play has to be counted in, since the bundle isn't "forced". If you were meaning the price, should we count out all the budget releases, "platinum" games and bought from sale?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

How cute, another fanboy changing the rule of the game so that his handicapped charity case win everytime. Bring a tears to my eye, it really do.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

bdbdbd said:
@Sega4life: But Wii Play is selling by itself. Or, did people buy Wii Plays only when the Wii Remote wasn't available without Wii Play?

@OP: We can debate whether Wii Sports should be count in or not and to what extent, but Wii Play has to be counted in, since the bundle isn't "forced". If you were meaning the price, should we count out all the budget releases, "platinum" games and bought from sale?

I never seen Wiiplay sold by itself.

In the US anyway, or unless used.

@TWRoO Thats what the trade in value was for a few weeks, don't remember why.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Do what you want to do about the bundles because that's is something people can argue till the cows come home. I think at the very least you do have to count the fact that Wii Sport was a million seller just in Japan.

But to ignore the fact that the 360 sales reflect an EXTRA YEAR, that's totally bogus and you have to subtract this year since that reflects sales based on a customer base that had developed over two years.

I would be interested in seeing the figues then.

sega4life said:

Wii Sports is a Demo Disc to show how the Wiimote can be used in different ways, how people still consider it a game is beyond me.

When I worked at Gamestop, for many months the only time you could get your hands on a Wiimote was to get Wiiplay.

People did just buy WiiPlay for the Wiimote, and the $10 more for a game like Wiisports was a +.. BUT.. Wiiplay wasn't like Wiisports as people came to find out and would open the box after buying Wiiplay and trade in the game to get the $10.00 back in trade in value, so many people did this that Gamestop changed the trade in value of the game to $6.00 last year during the holidays.

If Wii Play was sold by itself it would not be a million seller, and would have faded away, but the only way you can get the game is if you buy the bundle..

Do you think I would have bought Lego Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda if they wouldn't have come with the 360?