By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Sony meet their PS3/PS2/PSP hardware shipment forecasts for this year?

Well, the PS3 is on track to make its estimates. To tell the truth I expected it to far exceed that target. I guess Sony knew what was going to happen all along and was expecting the sales, so much for all the PS3 is doomed hiatus....

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

Around the Network

PSP3k wasn't a PSP2k sized hit.

Methinks we'll see a new PSP at E3. But a real sequel, not a re-design. Next year will be five years after launch. Time to change things up Sony.

cyclone87 said:
NJ5 said:
cyclone87 said:
Didn't they actually raise their forecast for PSP to 16 Million?

What were they thinking?

Maybe VGChartz is off with the estimates. Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see because they wouldn't raise it if there was no hope of even reaching the old target.

Apparently they shipped 6.9 million in Q1 and Q2 FY08 together, so VGChartz seems to be saying there was some oversupply during these quarters. I don't pay much attention to handhelds' sales so it's hard to comment.

Does anyone have the NPD numbers for this period? Japan is even more well covered with Famitsu and Media Create providing weekly data, so any big error has to come from America or Europe numbers.

It could be a mixture of some undertracking combined with what BengaBenga said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@NJ5: Could be, but there's the possibility of Sony pushing the PSP2000 model to retail to make room for PSP3000. A couple of months ago i noticed that PSP was sold at a discount. Since i haven't been looking how the PSP price has developed, i don't know whether it was a pricecut to push PSP price below DSL or were the stores phasing out excessive stock (like what happened to PSP1000 when PSP2000 came out).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

All there goals will be reached, PS2 also sold more last quarter then the 360 or PS3.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
PSP3k wasn't a PSP2k sized hit.

Methinks we'll see a new PSP at E3. But a real sequel, not a re-design. Next year will be five years after launch. Time to change things up Sony.

it will only be a real psp2 if they put a second nub on it. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

A hardware shipment forecast is not a projection of sales. The forecast is more of a projection of production, and shipment down the line. Which does not necessarily mean to a retailer either. The finished products could find themselves stockpiled in a distribution center. Technically these things can all take place within Sony internally regardless of retail demand.

Sony could even have good reason to overproduce. Perhaps they want to max out production on some products so that they may discontinue production. They may have produced too few units, and while a product may not be supply constrained they may wish to have a better margin. They may be preparing to retool the plants so they must use up the available components for the old model.

I think Sony can make these goals, because they haven't had any meaningful production short falls I can remember in the last year. Whether their is demand in the chain for all these units. Well I agree with most of you both the PSP and PS2 are well in excess of public demand. However I think Sony is probably padding the PS2 production so they can discontinue manufacture in the upcoming year. So I see no problem with the over production there it may cost them a bit more up front, but over the coarse of two years they will save a lot on production costs.

@Dodece: Sony's forecasts refer to shipment to retailers as of a few quarters ago.

@NJ5

Then it truly is strange. Either we are looking at prodigious channel stuffing for the latter two, or my scenario still plays out. Sony still ends up with stockpiles of at least two of those lines collecting dust in their distribution centers. Something is wrong here can you give me a link to their change in accounting?

Dodece said:
@NJ5

Then it truly is strange. Either we are looking at prodigious channel stuffing for the latter two, or my scenario still plays out. Sony still ends up with stockpiles of at least two of those lines collecting dust in their distribution centers. Something is wrong here can you give me a link to their change in accounting?

This image.

"Beginning with Q1 FY07, the method of reporting hardware and software unit sales has been changed from production shipments to recorded sales."

The forecasts use the same metric which they call "unit sales".