By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GfK: Xbox 360 sales increased 124% from last NOV, but...

@China

I just dont understand posters like you who use anecdotal evidence to generalise the whole of Europe.

Yes the 360 numbers have been ridiculous correct, because they show how ridiculously good the 360 has been doing in Europe this holiday - with backed up evidence from GfK, MS and Chart-track. Just because VGChartz shows a higher rate of increase doesnt matter. The evidence all points to the 360 is selling much much better in Europe and outselling the PS3.

@shanbcn

Why is there no chance it was undertracked or overtracked in 2007? VGChartz grows in stature and research input as time goes by, so figures are getting more accurate, especially for smaller EU countries as time goes by.

Around the Network
EaglesEye379 said:
Nov 4 3 2 1 total
2008 265 196 135 121 717
2007 84 58 45 37 224
220%

The VGChartz data do show a much higher rate than GfK reports. Above I quickly summed Others Total without Australia and Others for the 4 weeks in November - which shows a 220% increase. To get to the 124% increase, either 2007 was undertracked or 2008 overtracked - around 50k per week discrepancy. I think its more the case that 2007 is undertracked and 2008 slightly overtracked.

Thanks,

So overall 360 sales were 501k in Europe up 124% from last year. And PS3 sales 442k in Europe, up 3% from last year.

EaglesEye379,

Vgz gets more accurate for older data, because we get so many official shipped numbers from companies themselves and in between from GfK.

As was stated others is not simply Europe. To ignore gains elsewhere would be a serious issue.

360 over tracked by 200k in Nov.

Around the Network

We will get the real picture when shipment figures are released. Although we will have to wait several weeks.

Branko2166 said:
We will get the real picture when shipment figures are released. Although we will have to wait several weeks.

MSFT said they shipped 25 million already awhile ago.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

@shabcn

Its more conclusive if we knew what GfK was reporting last year. Its harder to get EU data so you will see many times on VGC that EU data is pretty constant for long periods and rates are adjusted gradually. VGC is getting EU 360 total sales almost pinpoint (when MS announced 6/7m total, VGC was almost exact), so its just the rates that are different.

Based on the prices and how low 2007 looked, I still think its undertracked in 2007, especially since it was also a holiday season last year.

Regardless though, this definitely does not mean Nov 2008 is overtracked by 50k a week. No way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

November in 2007 had 4 weeks. This November had 5. GFK may be comparing a different timespan than we're arguing here.

If you compare the same 5 week span, VGC has a 149% increase, not a 180% increase (in Total Others)....Big difference.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

shanbcn said:
EaglesEye379,

There is no chance of 2007 numbers being over tracked or under tracked.

Why is that?  How is it that the numbers last year can't be over or undertracked but the numbers this year are?  What was done so differently last year to make those numbers so accurate compared to the ones now?