By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do you feel about M$ new DVD to Drive option?

I don't understand what exactly this thread is about?

Is it about MS finding ways to take money from you/us?

Or our opinions on the HD install?

To answer both:

MS is a company, Name one company that's not in it for the profit.

I love the option and with the time to install a game roughly 1 minute 20-40 seconds for each gig (i find it depends on the game), it's a short time to wait, even if I have to delete an install to make room for a new one, but I have a 120 gig.

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

I have not tried the install. When I heard about it I was quite pleased as I hate swapping discs (had to buy a multi disc cd changer for that reason and would have done the same for DVD if not for the drop in quality). Then I read that you still need to put the disc in to play (for copy protection reasons) and then I instantly lost all interest.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I like the option, but 6.7GB per install (Average install size on games I have tried so far) is a bit too much. I can't even fit 2 games right now on my 20GB HDD and the 120GB is too expensive.

Why can it not have install sizes comparable to those on the PS3? Is there a reason for this? (Serious question, not a dig at 360)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
I like the option, but 6.7GB per install (Average install size on games I have tried so far) is a bit too much. I can't even fit 2 games right now on my 20GB HDD and the 120GB is too expensive.

Why can it not have install sizes comparable to those on the PS3? Is there a reason for this? (Serious question, not a dig at 360)

The X360 installs the whole game and runs it off the HDD. You still need the disc to prove that you own it.

The PS3 installs some data, but NOT the whole game. You still need the disc because it needs to read information off of it.

EDIT: IF Microsoft wanted to allow a similar feature as the PS3, each company would have to program their game to take advantage of it, unlike their current solution, which doesn't require any considerations by the software companies.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
Euphoria14 said:

The X360 installs the whole game and runs it off the HDD. You still need the disc to prove that you own it.

The PS3 installs some data, but NOT the whole game. You still need the disc because it needs to read information off of it.

EDIT: IF Microsoft wanted to allow a similar feature as the PS3, each company would have to program their game to take advantage of it, unlike their current solution, which doesn't require any considerations by the software companies.

Well hopefully MS programs it into their future 1st and 2nd party titles.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
sega4life said:

I don't understand what exactly this thread is about?

Is it about MS finding ways to take money from you/us?

Or our opinions on the HD install?

To answer both:

MS is a company, Name one company that's not in it for the profit.

I love the option and with the time to install a game roughly 1 minute 20-40 seconds for each gig (i find it depends on the game), it's a short time to wait, even if I have to delete an install to make room for a new one, but I have a 120 gig.

Basically, I mainly wanted to know how many do like mesoteto, and just install until beat and then delete.  I am hoping to get my whole list of retail games installed after I get a 120 gig.  Mostly I wonder who all is hoping back and forth between games and install/delete all the time.  I waist almost 10 mins every time I chage out a game.

It was kinda of a poll.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

I really wish I could just install Rock Band and be able to play the songs of the original Rock Band.

I do not want to have to pay $5 to get all same songs just to play in Rock Band 2.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

I really don't care for this feature. I have a 20GB HDD and I don't want to upgrade to 120GB HDD that costs $150. Mainly I would just use the 120GB HDD just to download the 360 games to the HDD anyway. I don't play Arcade games or let alone download movies or TV Shows like that. I do those very rare and that's why the 20GB HDD is doing the job for me.

I did what mesoteto was talking about, where you just play one game and once your finished just delete it, but I tend to play two games and one game alone is half of the HDD space anyway. So I'm just use to the DVD drive spinning not a problem with me at all.

I would like it more if the HDDs were easier to user install... ive swapped one but its a pain in the ass, and you cant use a size larger then the largest avalible or the 360 wont recognise it. 

edit also man i wished they used desktop size drive, cause id like them to work with movie studios so i can install all my dvds onto the drive too... man id need a terrabtye+ hdd

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

This is an interesting option to push the HDD upgrades as well as the higher end SKUs. There may be many early adopters with 20GB HDD who only game on their XB360 who will now look for a reason to upgrade.

This feature increases the value of the Pro & Elite models for me since I am in Canada and would not have access to Netflix or much content on the market place.

This may also lead to a larger HDD accessory (i.e. 250GB) being offered. Although if this was to happen the Elite's HDD would also need to be increased or its sales would be cannibalized.