By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the worst that could happen?

Lol @KGB.

X360 - Hardware damage control fails and people dont buy a 360 due to the bad press. Halo 3 turns out to be shoddy (It wont flop, just isnt possible) sells about 4M and doesnt move hardware.

PS3 - The new IPs turn out to be rubbish. Sales pick up only slightly for xmas rush as people go for the cheaper Wii/360 instead.

Wii - Demand drops and sell out stops. This gets media attention and people SUDDENLY stop buying the Wii. Its plausible actually, the Wii had been getting a lot of 'OMG its so popular its STILL sold out', if that goes the demand might actually drop.

Around the Network

ok I won't even notice KBG, or wait I did.... lol

well PS3 is yet to be proven better for video gaming than XB, even on the paper (raw power means nothing, you can take a super conputer made for super calculation of scientific equations, it might still be worst to do videogame (i'm making a stretch here but you get the point) another exemple would be cars... take a heavy truck with a lot of horse power, i most certainly go faster from 0 to 60 and have a higher top speed with a golf s sport which has less horse power.)... PS3 is the most powerfull multimedia device out there (beside PCs) but it's not optimized for VG (yet, it might or might not come true)

worst scenario

well shortage for any of the consoles

360 : the RRoD issue not being fixed (i don't believe in Halo 3 being bad and anyway I think some other exclu titles are there to play a role of at least damage control in case of I'm wrong on halo 3)

PS3: no price cut to follow an eventual one from XB, and the line up not being appealing enough compared to the other two....

WII: I don't see any worst case scenario as they are so cheap, but shortage probably would be the main one, or the frenzy stops.... but even if it's a temporary frenzy I really don't think it would stop now... maybe more in 2008 or even 2009, it's more on the very long run that I don't see the WII sustaining that pace....

a funny one would be increase of injuries due to bad handling of the WIImote which translate into a bad image especially for family with young kids :)

Are we talking "worse ever possible", or "worst realistically possible"?

The worst ever possible for any console is simple - complete dry up of supply (factories break, strikes, etc..), no units are available - and no units are sold.

Realistically possible is another story:

Wii: Metroid, Smash & Galaxy will sell units - no matter what happens. Previews + established brand names. A delay to Smash and/or Galaxy would be bad - but not that bad. No matter what is released, its unlikely the Wii will not sell out - considering its selling out pre-Xmas.

So in all truth, supply issues are the worst thing that could happen. Stockpiling fails, and there are massive Wii shortages everywhere - driving consumers to other consoles.

360: Until we see conclusive proof that RRoD is fixed, this remains the biggest issue. More RRoD stories come out - including some high profile, major reports. Other issues such as disc scratching comes back.  Reports of major hacking of Xbox Live. No price cut.

Halo will sell no matter what, and will also be released for sure before Xmas. Delays to Mass Effect and/or Bioshock could be nasty - Mass Effect in particular (almost reaching FF type anticipation).

BluRay takes a conclusive victory, and makes MS's decision to not include HD-DVD as stoopid.

PS3: As the PS3 is expected to have the weakest Xmas, it has the least to lose. If the price cut fades, and a huge backlash occurs to the price "rising" to $599 - it could be bad.

Sales will also heavily depend on the exclusive PS3/Sony titles coming out. They have a point to prove to gamers (that the PS3 is better than a 360 or Wii), and if they fail to do it this Xmas - the results could prove terrible in the long-term. All four of their big titles getting poor/mediocre sales wouldn't be good (Uncharted, R&C, LAIR & Heavenly Sword).

BluRay suffers over Xmas, and HD-DVD wins the Xmas - with more movies sold & players sold. Movie studios report that either they switch to HD-DVD, or now will support both formats.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

hey I have an unrealistic one lol

MS ask bungie to release Halo 1 & 2 for PS 2 to stall PS3 sales over christmas :)

x360: halo 3 only 6 mln. coppies sold till the end of year, it doesn`t effect x360 sales, because every halo fan already bought x360, and maybe only 500k left, who waited for price cut.
new falcon version still have RROD problem, that`s why M$ sell only 1 mln. x360 during november-december.
mass effect made only ~ 500k.
PGR4 also 500k.
Lost odyssey made 300K in japan and same in USA.
ac6 - 200k.
cod4 - 700k.
bd, es, vf5 - every only 150k in usa.
12,5 mln. sold x360.

wii: this system doesn`t have worst scenario.
the only thing, which may happened, nintendo fails to ship enough wii for market, well that`s going to happen in any way, but because of low shipmenets, only 1,5 mln. wii sold in usa, same in japan and europe.
16 mln. sold Wii.

ps3: ps3 80gb doesn`t get a price drop, that`s why november-decemebr only 1 mln. ps3 sold in usa.
GT5: prologue only 1 mln. in usa.
uncharted, warhawk, lair, hs, ratchet, folklore, haze, ut3, cod4, socom, ac - all these games sold less then 500k on ps3.
7 mln. ps3.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Xbox 360 - Master Cheif is caught in a hotel room with an altar boy, Halo sales plunge

PS3 - Dev's finally master use of the fourth dimention. It clashes with our dimention and collapses the Universe.

Wii - I don't get one!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

the worst but feasable ???

- Xbox360 :
They continue to have a high failure rate even with the new SKU
The information spread on the mass market.

- PS3 :
GTA4 is finally released on both console, PS3 is still at 600$, Microsoft make a bundle GTA4+preimum = 300$$

- Wii :
I see nothing happen ... it will sell

Note:
Even if Halo is bad, people will buy it ...at least in NA ;))

Time to Work !

tabsina said:

Final Fan, are you saying that 360 owners are stupid?

All I'm trying to say is that a game with millions upon millions of PREORDERS cannot sell poorly.  I also tried to say it in a comedic fashion.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Just like Mario Party 8, sometimes it's the name and not the game that sells.

360: Rockstar admits GTA delay is caused by 360, releases on PS3 this holiday.

PS3: New version of Wii comes out with HD-DVD player for same price.

Wii: Immersion or some other company sues Nintendo over use of motion sensing control, all production is halted on Wii's.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |