By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix Launch Takeover Bid For Eidos

Square Enix are serious about cracking the Western market with games that don't include the words "Final" and "Fantasy". Want to know how serious? They just made a takeover bid for Eidos.

Home to Lara Croft, Eidos have been in a financial pickle of late, and are already in takeover talks with Warner Bros. Square Enix making a run at them, though, is far more interesting.

Warner Bros are, according to those in the know, the front-runners to snag the deal. They already own 20% of Eidos, making a takeover purchase a cheap one. But Square can't be counted out.

Square boss Yoichi Wada has already popped in for tea and biscuits at Eidos-owned IO Interactive (Hitman, Kane & Lynch), and will be flying back to the UK soon to "move the deal forward".

Square Enix and Tomb Raider? Stranger things have happened in this business! Not many, though.

Around the Network

If you're posting an article, give a link.

That is rather odd, though. Square Enix and Eidos? Square Eidos Enix?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

http://kotaku.com/5101776/square-enix-launch-takeover-bid-for-eidos

a tomb raider jrpg... i could live with that

I hate it when Wada's name pops

Persona4 = WIN

PSP fanboi

Around the Network

Wonder what SE would do with Lara Croft. The lastest Tomb Raider is bombing hard so the series needs a reboot (again). I kinda hope Warner Bros gets it though, I'd love another (good) Lara movie with Angelina Jolie.

Heh and i remember when Eidos was publishing FF VII on the PC because Square had some financial problems at the time.

Wow didnt see that coming. And please can we have this thread without these stupid "Oh Tomb Raider jRPG!" jokes? We already had enough when they made a bid for Tecmo.

Anyway, looks like Square really wants to get some action-based franchises. They wanted Tecmo because of Ninja Gaiden and DoA, and now Eidos because of TR.

@Lolcislaw
Haha how times can change, SE having that horrible time after the Final Fantasy movie, then Edios having a smash hit with Tomb Raider and her "assets" now gaming has evolved a bit more and SE is the one with badass movies like Advent Children and then Tomb Raider is often seen in the bargain bin.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

This Wada guy seems to be really hated.