By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Wii ever pass up the DS?

I'm going to agree with sky render here.

The Wii is currently outpacing the DS at the same time in their life. However, if the Wii doesn't get a production boost to 2.8m/month, then the DS will probably end up winning in the end, as the Wii is currently capped at 28.8m/year

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I think it depends when Nintendo would decide to Introduce DS's successor, Wii might be selling still quite a long time after the new console arrive.

nordlead said:

The Wii is currently outpacing the DS at the same time in their life. However, if the Wii doesn't get a production boost to 2.8m/month, then the DS will probably end up winning in the end, as the Wii is currently capped at 28.8m/year

If they boost production, it will likely be to 3m a month, or 36m/year.  They have been bosting them in multiples of 600k a month when they do boost it.

I don't see it likely, unless the wii is still flying off the shelves in Feb.  Of course, if they open markets in Chinna, or decide they will lower price the following Christmas, it's not impossible.

January the Wii will probably be scarce the way Nintendo moves it's inventory, so it doesn't count.

jlauro said:
nordlead said:

If they boost production, it will likely be to 3m a month, or 36m/year.  They have been bosting them in multiples of 600k a month when they do boost it.

I don't see it likely, unless the wii is still flying off the shelves in Feb.  Of course, if they open markets in Chinna, or decide they will lower price the following Christmas, it's not impossible.

January the Wii will probably be scarce the way Nintendo moves it's inventory, so it doesn't count.

Considering the Wii has only been in stock (as in, more likely to find one but no guarantee) in my area for maybe 4 months total (2 last year, 2 this year) and is yet to drop below retail cost on e-bay. I believe there is a good chance of a production increase. However, considering the conservative nature of Nintendo, it is anyone's guess what they will do.

As for the size of a production increase, I just picked a number that would be big enough to keep sales above the DS.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

No, because handhelds have much more larger market. Handhelds can be bought for every person in family unlike home consoles.

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
No, because handhelds have much more larger market. Handhelds can be bought for every persion in family unlike home consoles.

How many handhelds have beaten out the lead console at the time?

Khuutra said:
KillerMan said:
No, because handhelds have much more larger market. Handhelds can be bought for every persion in family unlike home consoles.

How many handhelds have beaten out the lead console at the time?

None yet but thanks to DS and PSP handheld markets have exploded. And there is no denying the fact that handhelds have more space to grow.

Oyvoyvoyv said:

I don't really know. I don't think it will beat the Ps2 by much.

- It is looking like it is going to sell ~ 8M less than the Ps2 did in Japan.

- Ps2 had a high failure rate, and many re-purchases.

[...]

I really wish that we had some sort of way to quantify the number of re-purchases.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I think it will..if you extrapolate the DS and Wii graphs..the Wii will appeal to more people..probably

look at it...Wii will surpass DS...

(assuming people here know how to predict unbiased..as well as extrapolate...it's not that hard..)

I would be surprised to see Wii even outselling the Super Nintendo. The Wii has hit its peak in popularity. Be prepared to see a lot of used Wiis for sale next year.