By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray: A 2008 Holiday Hit?

NintendoMan said:
I hate Blu-Ray. One of the most unnecessary things ever invented. It offers nothing. I spit on Blu ray and its supporters. If I could work my will every idiot who goes around with Blu Ray on his/her lips would be cooked in their own juices and buried with a stake of holly through their heart.

Still mad that they couldn't score against Aston Villa huh?

Around the Network

But-but-but, Blu-Ray was supposed to not do anything?

Looks like Blu-Ray is huge.

This will help the PS3 out tons once the price comes down.

Blu ray is going to be huge all my friends are know buying 40-52 inch LCD's and once you get a big tv you relaize why blu ray is so nice. Regular DVD at 480p look ok at best blue ray looks stunning.

Blu ray is going to be huge end gadget said they just successfully came out with a 400gb 16 layer blu ray disc it will be commercial in 2010-2011. Blu ray is going to be around for many years. Sony bet the farm on it knowing it would cash in sooner or later it looks like it was later but it will be HUGE

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

NintendoMan said:
I hate Blu-Ray. One of the most unnecessary things ever invented. It offers nothing. I spit on Blu ray and its supporters. If I could work my will every idiot who goes around with Blu Ray on his/her lips would be cooked in their own juices and buried with a stake of holly through their heart.

You said it NintenoMan..... I was furious when VHS was discontinued, I used to be so happy watching my tapes. DVD wasn't even backwards compatible....

Damn you progress!!!

PSN ID: T_Gears

End of 2009 ltd sales:

Wii = 67-68m

X360 = 38-39m

PS3 = 34-35m

Prediction: The PS3 will surpass the 360 on weekly sales after it drops to $299 on all regular weeks (no big releases).

I feel sony's biggest mistake is come out this blu ray things.
Sale numbers show that most of people are not getting blu ray because it is expensive and there is no much different between DVD.
PS3 sale numbers reflect it. So We don't need blu ray, DVD will do.

Around the Network

Sorry but all those posts about not much diffrence to DVD are making me raise my eyes. I wonder are that many people really having serious sight problems ?

It's like saying GLQuake looks almost as good as Quake 4.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Blu Ray brings my piss to a boil. Firstly its expensive and second you need a HDTV to actually benfit from the improved picture quality. What a load of ass suckage. People without HDTV's should get the pic quality or no-one should.

@Zlejedi, I actually do have serious sight problems

@konnichiwa, yes i am, wtf were ronaldo rooney et al doing

Blu Ray is the preserve of rich people and I detest rich people. As far as I am concerned if you can afford Blu Ray you have too much money. You should be forced to give some to poor people.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Spankey said:

lol @ vacuum cleaners. I suppose they make an awesome gift, but I wouldn't dare get one as a gift for my wife. I value my skin far too much for that.

Go Blu-Ray!

haha... what, come on?  Nothing says I love you better than a Dyson. 

Spankey you had me rofl with you skin value comment.  I also believe it would be a bad move, but we went out and got an Electrolux washer/dryer so not too far from a vacuum.  It is at least in the cleaning family.

@ taxman: Progress is a awful I agree, nice.  How can we stop this wretched thing.

@ NintendoMan: Dude Pioneer just came up with 16 layer Blu-Ray disk.  That is 400 GB on a sigle disk.  Should work on the PS3 with a firmware upgrade no new hardware needed to read them.  I also read by 2013 they expect to hit the 1 TB level.  When I can fit 2 or 3 seasons of House on one disk why is that a bad thing?

http://www.gamecyte.com/pioneer-unveils-16-layer-400gb-blu-ray-discs-predicts-1tb-blu-rays-by-2013

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

LOL wtf, it's not like that at all Nintendo Man :P You don't have to jump on the Blu wagon just yet, but when your TV goes out, you'll probably end up getting a bigger, newer, flat screen tv :P And it'll support high def. Thankfully, blu-ray players also upscale your old movies to make them look better ^^

The move from VHS to DVD required you to pretty much toss away your old movies :P This one makes them better! Blu-ray is amazing, and the high def era is forcing it's way into our living rooms. HD TV's are the same price if not cheaper than some of the SD tv's of the same size. And it's only going to get better :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

^lol exactly. It never ceases to amaze me how all the haters ALWAYS talk about as if a particular format is limited to one purpose, as if Blu-ray was invented just for movies. Gimme a break, lol. And I'm even more surprised to read such pedestrian comments on this forum, this videogame site, 'cause it should be the more obvious new formats are also about , a LOT about GAMES. Are you all that naive to think we're so away from having games that will DEMAND a better quality format than DVD9? oh please, don't insult yourselves talking about multiple DVDs, just save it. And here's a little link that could, maybe, give you a little idea of where this blu-ray thing is going...

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press/news/500GB_Bluray.html

And to think many "analysts" as well as nerds all over the internet talk about the demise of physical formats. It's not gonna happen. Reasons? Companies who make the formats and run the show, and MONEY.